Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

As many of you know, the Iron Brigade has been trying to find a difficult housesite for a week now. After two separate hunts leaving empty handed, and double and triple-checking the GPS coordinates, and more research, I'm pleased to say that we finally found it. :)

Since it was *only* going to be 93 degrees today ::) , we got an early start. After arriving on the site and entering the new GPS coordinates, we loaded our gear into our packs and got deep into the woods. To be honest, neither of us felt much like getting into those same woods that we'd been swallowed up and beaten by the last two hunts. On our way in, we realized that we weren't alone. This little baby was sitting there stock still. The only thing moving were its nostrils.

6-05-08 Deer.jpg

After a good hike through the brush, we got to our location and set up base camp.

Well...those changes to the coordinates I made since last hunt Certainly paid off. We took about ten steps away from base camp toward the east and found the iron patch. :thumbsup: Although we'd not had a good iron patch to whet our appetites in several hunts, I wasn't quite convinced yet. Not until that first cooking pot fragment, eating utensil, cast iron stove piece, or other housesite item came up would I be ready to do some dancing...

It didn't take long. The first decent target I got was a suspender clip. We gave some Serious high-fives and Hallelujah's, then started the Serious hunting. Here's Rodeo beating back the brushy, ticky woods with his Ace 250:

6-05-08 Rodeo Brush.jpg

We dug some harmonica reeds and pewter spoon fragments, but the targets were very thin and the iron patch was very small--perhaps 30' x 30'. It appears that the structure was an old log cabin. There was no trace of it--not even foundation stones or a cellar hole. I think the small size of the iron patch was one of the reasons we didn't find it earlier. I also think that the geography played a role as well. There are lots of small knolls everywhere--each of which could easily have been the site of the house.

We brought a tarp with us--so that we could have a place to sit or lie down without the Ticks crawling up us the whole time. With the forecast High Temperature being what it was, I didn't want to take chances on us running out of energy. And so we took breaks between shifts of hunting throughout the morning to lay on the tarp and relax a bit. Here I am having a leisurely, sweaty cigarette on a Highly Flammable Tarp deep in the Tick-Infested Woods. ;D

6-05-08 Buckles Lazy Smoke.jpg

Now let me preface this part by saying that most of the time I don't thumb the knobs on my Fisher 1266-X before I dig--unless it is an "iffy" signal to begin with. It's faster to just dig it out of the ground.

Well... I got a typical signal just like any other (the analog users will understand)...but what I didn't know is that if I had thumbed the knobs on the Fisher it would've read Strong "Coin"--probably "Quarter." So it was a Beautiful surprise when I saw this in the hole:

6-05-08 Coppa!.jpg

It was an excellent Large Cent--1851. :thumbsup:

Here's a photo I took of it back at the car after the hunt:

6-05-08 LC Dirty.jpg

So we continued to work the site hard, drinking up and sweating off gallons in the process. A few more interesting items came up, including some nice suspender clips for Rodeo Recon, and a GREAT little buckle. When the finds had become very slim, we packed our gear and headed home.

Here are the cleaned up clips, buckle, and Large Cent:

6-05-08 Clips, Buckle, LC.jpg

And all of the iron, tin roofing, and junk we dug to get the goodies:

6-05-08 Everything.jpg

And of course, some photos of the cleaned-up LC. I only used water and a soft tootbrush, since the coin seemed like it wasn't very corroded.

6-05-08 LC Obverse.jpg

6-05-08 LC Reverse.jpg

Regards,

Buckleboy

Upvote 0

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Impressive as always. I love finding those baby deer, its the P.O. mommas that I don't care for.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
txkickergirl said:
Impressive as always. I love finding those baby deer, its the P.O. mommas that I don't care for.

Yeah, we had a similar thought right after we snapped a photo or two--so we got quickly away from the baby.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool on finding the fawn, but not so cool dealing with ticks >:( A lot of my sites are like what you have described, small, and basically same type of artifacts found. Congrats on the late year Large Cent and just who is that guy taking a break? :icon_scratch: LOL

Don

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post I felt I was with you guys. I do know what kind of effort it takes in those conditions. Congrats on the LC.
burdie

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
you guys are hardcore! woods hunting is over for me until at least October. too many ticks and too much ivy for me. :wink: you guys did good!!

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Glad to hear your persistence has paid off!! Are you going back now that you've zeroed in on it or do you think the Iron Brigade has cleaned house? :icon_thumright:
Jerry

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Buck, I told you that you were going to find that home! Any day a coppa jumps out of the ground, I consider it kicka$$! :thumbsup:

Rodeo is swinging away with the extreme fever in that pic!

Kyle

jimbob450

Feb 26, 2008
spokane,wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic I.D.
Congrats on finding the spot @ the large cent.
The only l.c. i have ever found was a Canadian. Jim

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HMMMM.......This is just to easy. Two guys in the middle of the woods laying on a tarp after swinging your rods. Thats as far as Im going with it. The thought of it just cracks me up. Anywho good job as usual. That is a nice LC. I will be back in the game in the near future as soon as "The Buy KFB a New Detector Fund" adds up and Im happy to say it wont be long now until I get my new machine and I will be out there with you all but please leave the tarp at home.

KFB

If anyone would like to donate to my fund please drop me a PM 

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on all of your hard work BB. That buckle is a beauty and large coppers always give me the butterflies. Way to go. :thumbsup:

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great research fantastic rewards (are you sure ya got it all) maybe a little more area for a different house maybe this was a shed or the other way around. :D

But A great day except for the ticks!

And love the fawn photo!

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
kindafoundabuckle said:
HMMMM.......This is just to easy. Two guys in the middle of the woods laying on a tarp after swinging your rods.Thats as far as Im going with it. The thought of it just cracks me up. Anywho good job as usual. That is a nice LC. I will be back in the game in the near future as soon as "The Buy KFB a New Detector Fund" adds up and Im happy to say it wont be long now until I get my new machine and I will be out there with you all but please leave the tarp at home.

KFB

I had the same thought.Cover Boy of Playgirl Magazine.He'd make a nice centerfold wouldnt' he. :icon_scratch:

I've donated to the fund once and I'm not gonna do it again.

Nice find Willie.sorrry I couldn't be there bud. HB

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohio Jerry said:
Glad to hear your persistence has paid off!! Are you going back now that you've zeroed in on it or do you think the Iron Brigade has cleaned house? :icon_thumright:
Jerry

We usually hunt sites until the finds get really slim...then we put them on the "back-up" list for one last hard hunt with the team when we need a site for an afternoon of detecting. When we return to a site, we find one more keeper or two--but usually someone in the team will walk away empty handed from a return trip--but it beats Not Detecting. It seems that we're pretty thorough usually--and don't leave much behind but the nails. :) But I wouldn't mind hunting this one again with a bigger part of the Brigade. Heat like that plays havoc with concentration sometimes.

Colonial Zoyboy said:
Buck, I told you that you were going to find that home! Any day a coppa jumps out of the ground, I consider it kicka$$! :thumbsup:

Rodeo is swinging away with the extreme fever in that pic!

Kyle

Thanks for the faith, buddy! I'm happy that Rodeo has that much faith in my Research to follow me back into those woods a Third time.

He was certainly swinging with the fever--chopping limbs, vines, and briars with his shovel and detetcting like a man possessed! I think he's sold his soul in some Faustian pact in exchange for his datectin abilities with that Ace 250.

kindafoundabuckle said:
HMMMM.......This is just to easy. Two guys in the middle of the woods laying on a tarp after swinging your rods.Thats as far as Im going with it. The thought of it just cracks me up. Anywho good job as usual. That is a nice LC. I will be back in the game in the near future as soon as "The Buy KFB a New Detector Fund" adds up and Im happy to say it wont be long now until I get my new machine and I will be out there with you all but please leave the tarp at home.

KFB

KFB, you crack me up, brother! Lemme tell ya--sitting on a tarp with another dude is a little uncomfortable, but it sure as Hell beats the TICKS :tard:

At least it was a big tarp. :thumbsup: And by the way, you'll want that tarp if you get out with us in 93 degree weather! Don't worry, you can rest on it while we dig up the LC's. :D

Hope ya get that new machine soon, buddy. You need to get back out there and get some Serious Hunting done!

Regards,

Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread