What's new

Wood Items

Bigcypresshunter

Sapphire Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2004
Messages
27,124
Reaction score
3,351
Golden Thread
0
Location
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I found these 2 wood items with my Dads stuff. I think its oak. I believe they are some type of homemade tool from the 50's-60's.. What are they?
 

Attachments

  • wood1.webp
    wood1.webp
    71.8 KB · Views: 384
  • wood2.webp
    wood2.webp
    76 KB · Views: 359
  • wood3.webp
    wood3.webp
    61.4 KB · Views: 372
BCH, They are push sticks for a table saw or other things requiring close contact with fingers and blades.HH :icon_thumright:
BK
 

Attachments

  • push-shoe.webp
    push-shoe.webp
    8.2 KB · Views: 355
Upvote 0
Broken knee said:
BCH, They are push sticks for a table saw or other things requiring close contact with fingers and blades.HH :icon_thumright:
BK
I never thought of that but it would make sense, because my Dad was a carpenter, but why the slot?



It would prevent this: :D ouch!
 

Attachments

  • saw cut.webp
    saw cut.webp
    12.8 KB · Views: 305
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Broken knee said:
BCH, They are push sticks for a table saw or other things requiring close contact with fingers and blades.HH :icon_thumright:
BK
That would make sense, because my Dad was a carpenter, but why the slot?
Your guess is as good as mine, these things are unique to each carpenter some fancy some not. Consider it a sacrificial tool. :icon_thumright:
Bk
 
Upvote 0
You may be correct but my first thought was that the slot was for a level string and these may be to lay block. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Broken knee said:
BCH, They are push sticks for a table saw or other things requiring close contact with fingers and blades.HH :icon_throat:
BK
Yup , I worked in a woodworking shop about 20 years ago , I worked the table saw , close cuts near the blade , it was a handy thing to have ! When I got hired the boss told me that the guy I replaced lost 2 fingers because he wasn't using a push guide . It was very monotonous work cutting 700 small pieces of wood that would then get sent to the assembly room . I was very carefull :notworthy:
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
You may be correct but my first thought was that the slot was for a level string and these may be to lay block. :dontknow:
That could be, it would explain the slot. here you go. :icon_thumright:
BK
 

Attachments

  • mason block.webp
    mason block.webp
    4.5 KB · Views: 331
Upvote 0
Broken knee said:
bigcypresshunter said:
You may be correct but my first thought was that the slot was for a level string and these may be to lay block. :dontknow:
That could be, it would explain the slot. here you go. :icon_thumright:
BK
My Dad may have used these for many different reasons but they sure look like these. I think its close enough to be solved :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Broken knee said:
bigcypresshunter said:
You may be correct but my first thought was that the slot was for a level string and these may be to lay block. :dontknow:
That could be, it would explain the slot. here you go. :icon_thumright:
BK
I'd say that's a winner for this one. Wood line blocks used in bricklaying and come in different sizes.
 
Upvote 0
At first, I thought they might be 'Bench Dogs' due to the similarity...in fact, almost identical...

However, I agree that they are string thingies for laying masonry blocks...
 
Upvote 0
These were definitely homemade. I respect the good old days were people sewed clothes, made toys, etc. In our modern day of wastefullness we wouldnt think of making these.

But maybe its the constant buying of everything new that keeps our economy going. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
:coffee2:

Interesting piece...I use something very similar in my Trade (Heavy Duty Tyre Fitting) it's called a third hand, which is used to lock the tyre bead on to a truck rim.

SS
 
Upvote 0
They're a Mason's line blocks. Old timer's would make their own. I'm 99.9999% sure that's what they are.
 

Attachments

  • line block.webp
    line block.webp
    2.5 KB · Views: 234
Upvote 0
Curious-type said:
They're a Mason's line blocks. Old timer's would make their own. I'm 99.9999% sure that's what they are.
Thanks for the pic. Now I know how they work. I thought it was for a level top line but I see its to make the front straight..

I wonder if they are still made in the USA? (or China)
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Curious-type said:
They're a Mason's line blocks. Old timer's would make their own. I'm 99.9999% sure that's what they are.
Thanks for the pic. Now I know how they work. I thought it was for a level top line but I see its to make the front straight..

I wonder if they are still made in the USA? (or China)

The last time I looked at them, they were made in Communist China.
 
Upvote 0
FWIW...on a standard foundation, like for a rectangular or square house, a mason will lay up the 4 corners, and make sure they are dead level and plumb.

Then, he'll take the line blocks, and stretch a line along the wall they need to infill. Those lines represent exactly where each course of blocks or bricks must be leveled to.

Does that make any sense?
 
Upvote 0
clovis97 said:
FWIW...on a standard foundation, like for a rectangular or square house, a mason will lay up the 4 corners, and make sure they are dead level and plumb.

Then, he'll take the line blocks, and stretch a line along the wall they need to infill. Those lines represent exactly where each course of blocks or bricks must be leveled to.

Does that make any sense?
Thanks. I have worked every phase of construction but blocklaying.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom