?? WORLD WAR 1 German Badge??? cleaned it up and looks interesting..anyone know?

bfratta1981

Mar 12, 2012
Bethlehem , PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE PRO w/ 11'' DD coil, FBS Technology
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this yesturday around 7:45PM in Beth, PA. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY MINELAB SE PRO!! I have made some awesome finds and on the 24th of this month will be my ONE YEAR ANNIV.!! I Love METAL DETECTING WITH A SMART MACHINE. you never know what your coil may swing over..

IF anyone has any info on this item please let me know. It says " Welt Krieg''
AUGUST 20, 2012 041.JPG 1914 1918AUGUST 20, 2012 048.JPG

Attachments

• AUGUST 20, 2012 046.JPG
    AUGUST 20, 2012 046.JPG
    286.7 KB · Views: 155
  • AUGUST 20, 2012 048.JPG
    AUGUST 20, 2012 048.JPG
    295.8 KB · Views: 154
Upvote 1
The top word says something about feeding the troops. "Welt Krieg" means world war.

Last edited:
Awesome find.:icon_thumleft:

Interesting - but no clue!

I sent your picture to my Nephews wife. She grew up in Germany and said it is from world war 1 and it is from a supply station. I asked if she could translate it into English and she said she is trying. Lol maybe it doesn't translate well?

Westfront is correct. Here's a little blurb about kappenabzeichen from another site:

"Kappenabzeichen were made for every imaginable unit of the K.u.K.(Kaiserlich und Königlich - Imperial and Royal) Austro-Hungarian forces. Some were made for Army, Divisional or Group level, others for Fronts (i.e. Italian Front), Allied units (Turkish etc.) and occasional. Specialty units such Stormtroopers are especially sought after and valuable, hence very often copied.

These cap badges present a unique collecting field, fit for just about any budget or collecting expertise. New enthusiasts along with established collectors will certainly find something suitable in the virtually endless field of the Kappenabzeichen (badges). From the Hungarian Honved and obscure Ukrainian Legion USS, through Polish Legions or the popular Christmas in the Field (Weihnachten im Feld) there will be something appealing to most WW1 collectors.

Quality ranges from very poor (thin war metal or zinc) to good in tombak and excellent in silver/gold and enamels. Maker marks are common, but perfectly original badges are often unmarked."

Source: http://www.jkmilitaria.com/Kappenabzeichen.html

Nice find!

"Verpflegstruppe" roughly translates to "Feeding Troops" or "Catering Corps." basically the guys who ran the kitchens.

Verpflegen = feeding, catering, rationing (etc) Verpflegung = food
Truppe = troops, corps.

Germanic languages are pretty fond of combining words which makes it interesting to translate sometimes. Mine may be a bit off here but I had to figure out what the first word was to get it sorted out.

Last edited:
"Verpflegstruppe" roughly translates to "Feeding Troops" or "Catering Corps." basically the guys who ran the kitchens.

Verpflegen = feeding, catering, rationing (etc) Verpflegung = food
Truppe = troops, corps.

Germanic languages are pretty fond of combining words which makes it interesting to translate sometimes. Mine may be a bit off here but I had to figure out what the first word was to get it sorted out.

I believe that is what I said in post #2.

Wow,love it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back