Worn-out 1966 GTO 389 Tri-Power

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If it was truly a numbers matching drivetrain, and you could get it for $10k, you're still looking at a massive investment to get that GTO restored and back on the road.

My first fear would be about how much actual car would come back after media blasting the frame and body. The floor pan is shot, and aside from the obvious rust, there is no way of knowing how much bondo it's got on the front/rear quarters.

Even buying it at $10k, I don't think the cheese would be worth the squeeze.

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No shot it’s numbers matching. But I still think there’s value there. It’s a GTO.

There are plenty of non-matching number cars out there going for top dollar. Wayyy more than numbers matching.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No shot it’s numbers matching. But I still think there’s value there. It’s a GTO.

There are plenty of non-matching number cars out there going for top dollar. Wayyy more than numbers matching.
Yeah all factory original classic cars of this era are very rare and limited these days compared to the recreations of a say a 66 Tempest coupe turned into a GTO.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If it was truly a numbers matching drivetrain, and you could get it for $10k, you're still looking at a massive investment to get that GTO restored and back on the road.

My first fear would be about how much actual car would come back after media blasting the frame and body. The floor pan is shot, and aside from the obvious rust, there is no way of knowing how much bondo it's got on the front/rear quarters.

Even buying it at $10k, I don't think the cheese would be worth the squeeze.
This is the smartest thought towards this car.
Not worth the squeeze.
Ballpark restoration is $40-60K if a shop rate is involved.
Sure if a person is equipped with a hoist, welder, tools, time, đź’° is still a factor.
Though the pleasure of working with the car is the driver in most restoration projects.
I have my eye on a lovely P/U a neighbor has restored.
But I know the $$$ is a driver for his toy.
20200925_160032.jpg

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the smartest thought towards this car.
Not worth the squeeze.
Ballpark restoration is $40-60K if a shop rate is involved.
Sure if a person is equipped with a hoist, welder, tools, time, đź’° is still a factor.
Though the pleasure of working with the car is the driver in most restoration projects.
I have my eye on a lovely P/U a neighbor has restored.
But I know the $$$ is a driver for his toy.
View attachment 2119746
Dang! That looks very similar to something sitting in my driveway. Same color even. Appears to be a 56. Interesting that it has the chrome strip running around the back of the cab. I thought that only came with the big window.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dang! That looks very similar to something sitting in my driveway. Same color even. Appears to be a 56. Interesting that it has the chrome strip running around the back of the cab. I thought that only came with the big window.
Could be a Canadian version of the truck also.
I should of taken a few more photos-but the owner was well into the afternoon bubbly pops and time was short.

Just found this info:
"1430 is a Canada built truck which is the same as a American made 3800 your should have the stab nose are flat -face cowl."

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't even show up to look at it with that price, to restore that thing will be very very costly. The price I would need would probably be considered insulting to the owner if he's listing at such a high price. Wouldn't pay any more than 7 or 8 k, and still would be hesitant

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Them 500 -2000 cars of our youth are fetching a pretty penny if they run down the road today.
And prices for rotted out bodies are ridiculous. I been watching some real ghosts of trucks.
Time to buy seems to be 40 years ago.

For you and this particular rotted out body and it's potentially restorable non guaranteed engine...
Like a house restoration or any other someone needs to have the material ,skills, and time , and money , and knowledge to restore the turd.
And within that all and most of all if you are doing it yourself , it has to have the right things wrong with it to compliment your skill set and patience/time tolerance .

I see (from pictures offered here) a heck of a lot of time and money to go for a ride.

She's showing the deep creep rot when door panels roll away from the doors. Integrity of every piece is suspect. That's trunk and floor boards and rear rockers toast. Now we're looking to see if the frame still has integrity. Check below that door panel by drivers foot when seated. I had a 66 Chevelle (sedan) cracked there. A daily usually driver an ex said she sold for 100 dollars after our divorce.
Frame wasn't cracked from rust. But still an added cost if your body is going on a rotisserie and drivetrain and frame are getting gone over.

A sloppy rear end has to be suspected on that GTO.. And most anything else that was getting torque applied to or run through. It just doesn't look Grandma owned.
With the H.P. the powerplant used to generate , there was some twist somewhere.
Depending on multiple factors the front axel and components might be toast too from bounce or landings.
That is a lot of parts being replaced or reworked. If that suits you you can see how much the seller will wiggle.

Seller isn't selling a good horse cause it's a good horse.
Seller is offering for sale a dead horse that used to be a good horse.
I say the price is a few grand high.
And restored that car will cost more than my first house easy. Double maybe if someone else did all the work.( Likely so today.)

Gremlin bought new cost a sister $3000 in 76(?)
She really racked up some miles on it.
Rear engine seal leak was a pain , but about it for anything major.
Wasn't no GTO though! Probably why it lasted so long.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Them 500 -2000 cars of our youth are fetching a pretty penny if they run down the road today.
And prices for rotted out bodies are ridiculous. I been watching some real ghosts of trucks.
Time to buy seems to be 40 years ago.

For you and this particular rotted out body and it's potentially restorable non guaranteed engine...
Like a house restoration or any other someone needs to have the material ,skills, and time , and money , and knowledge to restore the turd.
And within that all and most of all if you are doing it yourself , it has to have the right things wrong with it to compliment your skill set and patience/time tolerance .

I see (from pictures offered here) a heck of a lot of time and money to go for a ride.

She's showing the deep creep rot when door panels roll away from the doors. Integrity of every piece is suspect. That's trunk and floor boards and rear rockers toast. Now we're looking to see if the frame still has integrity. Check below that door panel by drivers foot when seated. I had a 66 Chevelle (sedan) cracked there. A daily usually driver an ex said she sold for 100 dollars after our divorce.
Frame wasn't cracked from rust. But still an added cost if your body is going on a rotisserie and drivetrain and frame are getting gone over.

A sloppy rear end has to be suspected on that GTO.. And most anything else that was getting torque applied to or run through. It just doesn't look Grandma owned.
With the H.P. the powerplant used to generate , there was some twist somewhere.
Depending on multiple factors the front axel and components might be toast too from bounce or landings.
That is a lot of parts being replaced or reworked. If that suits you you can see how much the seller will wiggle.

Seller isn't selling a good horse cause it's a good horse.
Seller is offering for sale a dead horse that used to be a good horse.
I say the price is a few grand high.
And restored that car will cost more than my first house easy. Double maybe if someone else did all the work.( Likely so today.)

Gremlin bought new cost a sister $3000 in 76(?)
She really racked up some miles on it.
Rear engine seal leak was a pain , but about it for anything major.
Wasn't no GTO though! Probably why it lasted so long.
That little inline 6 in a Gremlin had little bit of pep in that light body.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
That little inline 6 in a Gremlin had little bit of pep in that light body.

A winter lake access unplowed my 1/2 ton truck didn't like.
So I parked at main road.
One day a Gremlin had made it to the lake.
Ran on top of a lot of the deep snow.
I wondered it didn't float quite a bit on it's floor boards! l.o.l..

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m looking at it as a roller. That’s all that thing is. If the guy says anything about the motor, tell him to pull it. You could put a crate motor in there easily. Just know it’s most likely not going to be a show winner, but if you want to cruise around and go to some shows it will be more then fine.

I myself have been looking at 69’ Chevelle SS matching numbers with bucket seats and a horseshoe shifter for years. The market is nuts. Plus the supply is limited. Seen a few on Barrett Jackson going for 6 figures plus.

Id have to sell both kidneys and my thoroughly abused liver to get me one of them 🤣🤣🤣

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m looking at it as a roller. That’s all that thing is. If the guy says anything about the motor, tell him to pull it. You could put a crate motor in there easily. Just know it’s most likely not going to be a show winner, but if you want to cruise around and go to some shows it will be more then fine.

I myself have been looking at 69’ Chevelle SS matching numbers with bucket seats and a horseshoe shifter for years. The market is nuts. Plus the supply is limited. Seen a few on Barrett Jackson going for 6 figures plus.

Id have to sell both kidneys and my thoroughly abused liver to get me one of them 🤣🤣🤣
The bidders at Barrett Jackson are really there just to show who out of them all has the deepest pockets. So now all these classic basket case's have crazy asking prices because of them and that show.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread