would you buy 10 silver dollars for $125?

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
Upvote 0

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
phrostie

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
If I were to check the coins for a 'fine or better' condition, what exactly would I be looking for to gradewise... no scratches, gouges or discoloration?

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dandow20 said:
If I were to check the coins for a 'fine or better' condition, what exactly would I be looking for to gradewise... no scratches, gouges or discoloration?

Really at 12.50 a coin I wouldn't care what condition they are in (as long as its not ground down or has holes drilled in it)

daveg13

Aug 1, 2008
TreasureFiend said:
dandow20 said:

Really at 12.50 a coin I wouldn't care what condition they are in (as long as its not ground down or has holes drilled in it)

Yep, I'd jump all over that.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
dandow20 said:
pretty self explanatory... a couple of morgans but mostly peace dollars. The lady didn't give me dates but stated they were all 'common'. I haven't looked at condition or anything, but silver melt has to be worth about 80-90. What do ya think? Also if I go through checking for counterfeits...any advice there?
I would think that counterfeits would involve a very hi-grade coin. At $12.50 I'd buy all that I could. A local dealer here is advertising in the paper that he's paying $11 for Peace and earlier silver dollars.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is she from China?? Then NO!! j/k

Yeah, I'd snatch those quick, but if you can, make sure they're the proper weight (26.7 grams each).

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Definately a good deal... just check ebay and see HOW good it is.

I actually brought in some VERY nice morgans (common dates) to a dealer today and he offered $10 and I had to fight back my smile at his horrible offer. I test out different dealers every few weeks to see how reputable they are.

$12.50 is a great buy price as long as they aren't horrible culls or something.

You can buy cheaper silver than that, but the numismatic premium on those old silver dollars more than makes up for the extra.

~Dave

OmegaMan

Dec 9, 2007
No joke bring a strong magnet there a lot of common date counterfits.

Attachments

• silver coins 031.jpg
    silver coins 031.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 250

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OmegaMan said:
No joke bring a strong magnet there a lot of common date counterfits.

That's crazy, I guess if there is money to be made - people will make fakes of anything... Bring a small magnet with you I guess...

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope.....

With silver at $11.24 per oz. currently, and the dollars only containing .77344% per coin silver, I wouldn't buy 'em, unless the price was lowered.

Silver content of these coins, individually, is $8.69 each, currently, if'n my math is correct. Not enough spread for me.

But, hey, what the heck.... what ever it takes to float your stick.....

Folks collect coins for all different kinds of reasons. I'm just in it for the silver. (I know some folks out there hate me to write that.... ;-{)} )

Robin

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CaptainRobin said:
Nope.....

With silver at $11.24 per oz. currently, and the dollars only containing .77344% per coin silver, I wouldn't buy 'em, unless the price was lowered.

Silver content of these coins, individually, is $8.69 each, currently, if'n my math is correct. Not enough spread for me.

But, hey, what the heck.... what ever it takes to float your stick.....

Folks collect coins for all different kinds of reasons. I'm just in it for the silver. (I know some folks out there hate me to write that.... ;-{)} )

Robin

Old coins I would keep for my coin collection and not melt them down. Kenndy's on the other hand - melt them all!!! :icon_pirat:

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
they have numistic value plus the melt....therefore command a higher price...also coins like Morgans have been going up in value despite the rise or drop in silver

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CaptainRobin said:
I'm just in it for the silver. (I know some folks out there hate me to write that...
Whats wrong with that? I buy mostly for the silver content, but I also like coins. There are a few coins that I will probably never sell to the melter. Including two Morgans and some Barber halves, probably because of their percieved value, their age and the fact that I paid face for them. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread