What's new

would you buy 10 silver dollars for $125?

phrostie

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2008
Messages
534
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Nap Town
pretty self explanatory... a couple of morgans but mostly peace dollars. The lady didn't give me dates but stated they were all 'common'. I haven't looked at condition or anything, but silver melt has to be worth about 80-90. What do ya think? Also if I go through checking for counterfeits...any advice there?
 
Upvote 0
If I were to check the coins for a 'fine or better' condition, what exactly would I be looking for to gradewise... no scratches, gouges or discoloration?
 
dandow20 said:
If I were to check the coins for a 'fine or better' condition, what exactly would I be looking for to gradewise... no scratches, gouges or discoloration?

Really at 12.50 a coin I wouldn't care what condition they are in (as long as its not ground down or has holes drilled in it)
 
TreasureFiend said:
dandow20 said:
If I were to check the coins for a 'fine or better' condition, what exactly would I be looking for to gradewise... no scratches, gouges or discoloration?

Really at 12.50 a coin I wouldn't care what condition they are in (as long as its not ground down or has holes drilled in it)

Yep, I'd jump all over that.
 
dandow20 said:
pretty self explanatory... a couple of morgans but mostly peace dollars. The lady didn't give me dates but stated they were all 'common'. I haven't looked at condition or anything, but silver melt has to be worth about 80-90. What do ya think? Also if I go through checking for counterfeits...any advice there?
I would think that counterfeits would involve a very hi-grade coin. At $12.50 I'd buy all that I could. A local dealer here is advertising in the paper that he's paying $11 for Peace and earlier silver dollars.
 
Is she from China?? Then NO!! j/k

Yeah, I'd snatch those quick, but if you can, make sure they're the proper weight (26.7 grams each).
 
Definately a good deal... just check ebay and see HOW good it is.

I actually brought in some VERY nice morgans (common dates) to a dealer today and he offered $10 and I had to fight back my smile at his horrible offer. I test out different dealers every few weeks to see how reputable they are.

$12.50 is a great buy price as long as they aren't horrible culls or something.

You can buy cheaper silver than that, but the numismatic premium on those old silver dollars more than makes up for the extra.

~Dave
 
No joke bring a strong magnet there a lot of common date counterfits.
 

Attachments

  • silver coins 031.webp
    silver coins 031.webp
    44 KB · Views: 283
You can buy cheaper silver than that, but the numismatic premium on those old silver dollars more than makes up for the extra
especially the Morgans....they usually go up in value
 
OmegaMan said:
No joke bring a strong magnet there a lot of common date counterfits.

That's crazy, I guess if there is money to be made - people will make fakes of anything... Bring a small magnet with you I guess...
 
I'd snatch those up right away.
 
Nope.....

With silver at $11.24 per oz. currently, and the dollars only containing .77344% per coin silver, I wouldn't buy 'em, unless the price was lowered.

Silver content of these coins, individually, is $8.69 each, currently, if'n my math is correct. Not enough spread for me.

But, hey, what the heck.... what ever it takes to float your stick.....

Folks collect coins for all different kinds of reasons. I'm just in it for the silver. (I know some folks out there hate me to write that.... ;-{)} )

Robin
 
CaptainRobin said:
Nope.....

With silver at $11.24 per oz. currently, and the dollars only containing .77344% per coin silver, I wouldn't buy 'em, unless the price was lowered.

Silver content of these coins, individually, is $8.69 each, currently, if'n my math is correct. Not enough spread for me.

But, hey, what the heck.... what ever it takes to float your stick.....

Folks collect coins for all different kinds of reasons. I'm just in it for the silver. (I know some folks out there hate me to write that.... ;-{)} )

Robin

Old coins I would keep for my coin collection and not melt them down. Kenndy's on the other hand - melt them all!!! :icon_pirat:
 
With silver at $11.24 per oz. currently, and the dollars only containing .77344% per coin silver, I wouldn't buy 'em, unless the price was lowered.
they have numistic value plus the melt....therefore command a higher price...also coins like Morgans have been going up in value despite the rise or drop in silver
 
CaptainRobin said:
I'm just in it for the silver. (I know some folks out there hate me to write that...
Whats wrong with that? I buy mostly for the silver content, but I also like coins. There are a few coins that I will probably never sell to the melter. Including two Morgans and some Barber halves, probably because of their percieved value, their age and the fact that I paid face for them. ;D
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom