Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Stefen's reply completely , This guy does indeed sound like a control freak but if

you absolutely adhere to the high road ethically , you stand to lose nothing . I would go as far as

an initial meeting and a clarification on this 50/50 deal , get this spelled out in writing. I would

base my decision entirely on my gut feeling upon meeting him , I mean you come away feeling

weird or upbeat and confident - if the former - I'm outa there ! Argentium.

pennyfinderjim

Oct 15, 2008
Greenville,SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE150
:icon_scratch: Sounds kinda weird but for what it's worth, maybe you could go and do a short hunt, do the divvy up thing, and see what happens. If it is satisfactory to both of you, then continue to work the property. If it looks like he is going to take advantage of you unfairly, then if you feel too uncomfortable you can walk away. Who knows? It might turn out great for everybody concerned. But, there again, someday, pigs might fly. In other words, do what feels good for you and don't sweat the other stuff. Just my opinion. Tnx for reading and good luck and HH. Jim

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd give it a try, but I wouldn't go alone. I'd probably take two other guys with me.... :3some:

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deepskyal said:
Well...if it were me... :icon_scratch:
I'm more into the thrill of the hunt, not so much for the greed factor.
Yea, I'd feel some sadness if I found a nice, silver half and the owner picked it as his share, but then...that's one half I would never have found had I not detected the yard. It would be a notch in my belt.... :thumbsup:
You ran your ad specifically to find great places to detect....now you got one!
Some suggested you seed your finds with junk coins......would the owner then think there are lots of finds and expect that from you every time?
And I'm no saint, but lets try to maintain some honesty in this hobby. Sticking that nice silver half in my pocket, not letting the owner know about it or whomever is the controlling realtor, after agreeing to specific terms, is just down-right wrong to me and would haunt me.
I would like to think I could trust my fellow TH'ers if we went searching for some hoard or a place together and agreed to split finds that they would. :coffee2:
Peace and goodwill to all. Happy holidays folks.
Al

"I'm more into the thrill of the hunt, not so much for the greed factor.

Yea, I'd feel some sadness if I found a nice, silver half and the owner picked it as his share, but then...that's one half I would never have found had I not detected the yard. It would be a notch in my belt.... "

Well said Al. :thumbsup:

Let's face it, how many times do we find anything worth a lot of $ anyways? Not too many times. Heck I think the most valuable coin I've ever found may be worth $40. ;D
Happy holidays to you too.
-MM-

stefen said:
Lets analyse this situation.
1. First you advertised hoping for a response.
2. A person responded and set the terms.
3. You now ask for advise.
4. Most respondents provided hints on how to screw this person.
5. Your morals and ethics are at stake

Thanks for the input Stefen. I don't see people trying to screw anyone really as much as I see people stating their opinions on what would be considered fair.
As far as my morals and ethics, you won't find a more honest and generous person on TN. :thumbsup: :wink:
I'm the same guy that has found and returned numerous wedding bands just for the joy of seeing the person happy again. I also have given property owners shadow boxes of relics & coins I find on their properties just for the privilege of being able to detect their property.
This is good PR that all of us should try to do. It really helps give us all a good name, not to mention the additional leads that follow.
-MM-

Argentium said:
I agree with Stefen's reply completely , This guy does indeed sound like a control freak but if

you absolutely adhere to the high road ethically , you stand to lose nothing . I would go as far as

an initial meeting and a clarification on this 50/50 deal , get this spelled out in writing. I would

base my decision entirely on my gut feeling upon meeting him , I mean you come away feeling

weird or upbeat and confident - if the former - I'm outa there ! Argentium.

Thanks Arg.
I'll be sure to go over what his meaning of a 50/50 split is. If the guy thinks I'm going to do all of the work while I go home with the scraps you can bet that won't happen twice. Honestly I think he just doesn't know me as a person yet and is covering his own interest. Once I detect the first time he will see I'm a very decent guy and not out to raid his land. ;D :wink: Let's face it, there are a LOT of folks out there that turn us detectorists down because they don't trust us.
-MM-

pennyfinderjim said:
:icon_scratch: Sounds kinda weird but for what it's worth, maybe you could go and do a short hunt, do the divvy up thing, and see what happens. If it is satisfactory to both of you, then continue to work the property. If it looks like he is going to take advantage of you unfairly, then if you feel too uncomfortable you can walk away. Who knows? It might turn out great for everybody concerned. But, there again, someday, pigs might fly. In other words, do what feels good for you and don't sweat the other stuff. Just my opinion. Tnx for reading and good luck and HH. Jim

Thanks Jim.
That's exactly what I'm going to do. I have to give it a shot at least once. Of all the properties I've gotten permission to MD, I have the owners total respect and full reign to come and go whenever I want. They actually just enjoy seeing what I find and area amazed. :o ;D :wink:
-MM-

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
I would try it. Half of something is better than all of nothing. You can always quit whenever you want if it doen't pan out.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ModernMiner:

You are quite welcome!

When we were kids my Mother told us how it works: One kid pours the Vernor's into two glasses and the other kid picks. You couldn't have gotten them more even with an eyedropper!

In business this is the classic way to end a partnership - a "Buy/Sell" agreement. Say you and your partner are 50%-50% owners of a business and one of you wants out. One guy names the price and the other guy can either buy you out or be bought out at that price. Amazing how fair the price turns out to be!

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the hunt is most of the fun, but I wouldn't count on the 50/50 split necessarily being fair.

If you found 5 silver coins and 5 clad pennies, his 50% could be the 5 silver coins leaving your 50% being the 5 clad pennies. After all... legally, it IS his property.

But like I said, the hunt is most of the fun, however, if I found a gold coin, I think it might find it's way into my boot (accidentally, of course) ::)

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Bookaroo said:
ModernMiner:

You are quite welcome!

When we were kids my Mother told us how it works: One kid pours the Vernor's into two glasses and the other kid picks. You couldn't have gotten them more even with an eyedropper!
In business this is the classic way to end a partnership - a "Buy/Sell" agreement. Say you and your partner are 50%-50% owners of a business and one of you wants out. One guy names the price and the other guy can either buy you out or be bought out at that price. Amazing how fair the price turns out to be!

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Thanks Old Book.
I love the eyedropper bit above. ;D :thumbsup:
That is truely a fair way to do any split.
Thank you,
MM

rwsnc said:
I think the hunt is most of the fun, but I wouldn't count on the 50/50 split necessarily being fair.

If you found 5 silver coins and 5 clad pennies, his 50% could be the 5 silver coins leaving your 50% being the 5 clad pennies. After all... legally, it IS his property.

But like I said, the hunt is most of the fun, however, if I found a gold coin, I think it might find it's way into my boot (accidentally, of course) ::)

Bob,
Are those the fancy boots with hidden compartments in them, kind of like Get Smart had? :icon_scratch: :tongue3: ;D
-Doug-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DD-777 said:
You could always wear "the dress" first time out there... :tongue3:

Only if the split is 75/25 in my favor. :tard: :tongue3:
Ya nut!
-MM-

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner,

Here is my take for what it is worth. I would definitely play!
The property owner always gets to set the rules. That's how you get permission.

I think his choice of getting first pick is not unreasonable, after all it is his property.
Make sure he means put all booty in a pile he picks 1 then you pick 1 back and forth until all is divided.

If you don't like the rules don't play or else see if the rules are negotiable.
Go prepared. Have a reference or two ready if he asks.

Really you should have a witness for any verbal agreement made. What if you found a cache worth thousands?

What ever you do never give him a reason to not trust you.
If you got caught trying to cheat your credibility would be lost forever!

You have everything to gain and nothing to lose. I say go for it!

Buddy~

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goodyguy said:
ModernMiner,
Here is my take for what it is worth. I would definitely play!
The property owner always gets to set the rules. That's how you get permission.
I think his choice of getting first pick is not unreasonable, after all it is his property.
Make sure he means put all booty in a pile he picks 1 then you pick 1 back and forth until all is divided.
If you don't like the rules don't play or else see if the rules are negotiable.
Go prepared. Have a reference or two ready if he asks.
Really you should have a witness for any verbal agreement made. What if you found a cache worth thousands?
What ever you do never give him a reason to not trust you.
If you got caught trying to cheat your credibility would be lost forever!
You have everything to gain and nothing to lose. I say go for it!
Buddy~

Thanks Buddy.
You input is much appreciated and noted.
Have a great holiday. :thumbsup:
-MM-

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Sounds like opportunity. Yeah he could be a Craig's List serial killer too. But if you wanted the most from it. Take along an extra detector and offer to coach and advise on it's usage. If there's a decent or curious bone in that person's body, then you'd probably find yourself getting a long day's hunt on the next weekend with him/her at the property and possibly ending up with enough goodies to make almost any split worthwhile.

I look at the end game as being one of how deep can we hit this property? Can we work the basement/cellar or cisterns, old privy holes or wells? Bottle dump on the property? Most likely there are as several additional homesites were mentioned. Getting to deep hunt the site takes time together with the owner and an effort to build that sort of curiosity into his/her psyche with out frontloading all those possiblities.

Good luck and happy hunting!

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman said:
I would pass....... For one, since they answered Craigslist advertisement they have time to shop for a detector themselves. There won't be no gaining any trust with someone that says up front that they get first pick. Plan on going somewhere else.

I had a bite too for 50/50 and he gets first and I passed it over. :P

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
I would go for it. If you don't, and someone else does and gets a good find, you will kick yourself for not hunting the spot.---even if he takes it on his split. Tell him you will be happy to split 50/50, but you want to take pictures of everything that you find before the split.
Take your video camera and digital camera with you. If you find anything good, and he snags it...at least you will have a picture of your find.

If he dogs you, dig up lots of trash items and hand it all to him. After 5 or 6 pieces of trash he might just leave you alone for a while. :P

I would hunt it twice to see how he responds.Maybe he will see you are honest about the deal and relax the split.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dimeman said:
I would go for it. If you don't, and someone else does and gets a good find, you will kick yourself for not hunting the spot.---even if he takes it on his split. Tell him you will be happy to split 50/50, but you want to take pictures of everything that you find before the split.
Take your video camera and digital camera with you. If you find anything good, and he snags it...at least you will have a picture of your find.

If he dogs you, dig up lots of trash items and hand it all to him. After 5 or 6 pieces of trash he might just leave you alone for a while. :P

I would hunt it twice to see how he responds.Maybe he will see you are honest about the deal and relax the split.

Thanks Dime.
Great idea on the cameras. I at least want the TN members to see what I found before he takes his half. I'm hoping this turns out to be a good thing in the long run and I win his trust in me. I really need to MD weekends, not weekdays. :wink:
-MM-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Would you pass or play? ***UPDATE 1/7/09***

Well folks, back in December I was told that I could start detecting this place on Sat. Jan. 10th (this Saturday).
So to make sure we were still a go I sent the guy an e-mail to confirm. After two days of waiting for a reply, I got one today.
Guess what? Now he says "let's wait until mid-Feb." :icon_scratch: :o :tard:
Sorry, but I've been strung out since mid -November by this clown :icon_jokercolor: . I replied that I've waited long enough and am moving on to other opportunities, and sorry it didn't work out. Let him chew on that! ;D :wink:
Oh well, I guess it was for the best because I have just received two new leads today. One historical site, and one guy that owns 4 farm properties. :thumbsup: I should have plenty to keep me busy for a long time now. :wink:
-MM-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread