What's new

Would You Trade ?

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2007
Messages
1,224
Reaction score
30
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Other
Would you trade 1000 ounces of silver for 20 ounces of gold ? Gold is selling for roughly 51 times the price of silver. In a roundabout way, they are both worth give or take a few bucks, the same amount. Does silver have a much larger upside than gold does ? The idea of being able to store the same amount of value in a package that is 51 times as small is attractive. What do you guys and gals think ? Thanks, Jim
 
Upvote 0
Good question,

I think I would have to go with the silver because there is an outside chance that the cost to make gold from led will go down in the future as modern technologies get more advanced. But that might not pan out either. (pun intended)
 
patpall22 said:
Good question,

I think I would have to go with the silver because there is an outside chance that the cost to make gold from led will go down in the future as modern technologies get more advanced. But that might not pan out either. (pun intended)
That will never happen. I think I would trade for the gold. Gold just looks cool.
 
I guess that would depend on which metal you think has the most upside potential...
 
Or, if you're into the whole SHTF scenario...small amounts of silver are much easier to trade than gold.
 
awhitster said:
patpall22 said:
Good question,

I think I would have to go with the silver because there is an outside chance that the cost to make gold from led will go down in the future as modern technologies get more advanced. But that might not pan out either. (pun intended)
That will never happen.

In this world, you can never say never
 
Hi, my name is Patrick and I am addicted to silver.

that being said......is this an offer?
 
Hi Jim,
I think the ratio will get alot closer- right now its 51.6. I been watching it go down "slowly" from 55 a few weeks ago. Gold lost $20 in the last couple days while silver has hung at $18. Personally I would only trade half right now if I was dead set on gettin some gold. HH Mark
BTW there seem to be some smart cookies here http://goldismoney.info/forums/index.php
 
take this with a grain of salt but this is what i think.........1k is going to be a tough nut to crack with gold. even though the fundamentals and all that look good but 1k is a huge psychological number both for sellers selling and buyers buying. even though were only 50 or so dollars away 1000 seems a boatload more then 900 and change to people. so i think were going to be stuck here for awhile.......however silver may have some resistance at 19 and 20 but nowhere near the psychological impact of 1k gold.....even if gold stalled at 1k and silver stalled at 20 the ratio would still be 50-1 and would mean a bigger percentage move for silver if that were to happen. as of the past few weeks the trend has been to the ratio tightening so i wouldnt go against the trend until you seem some serious resistance or a slight pullback. i am 100% vested in silver and i feel extremely confident. obviously down the road i would like to swap some funds but theres no way im doing it now. im strapped in and ready to see silver shine. just my 2 cents
 
They say when the ratio tightens up real fast its time to sell or trade cause the end is near. For some reason I got a magic # of 40 in my head but I'm kinda like a hobo investor. Was at 51.48 an hour ago so its still coming down. 50 might be the # but I'm not trading my box for 2 little rounds haha. HH Mark
 
patpall22 said:
Good question,

I think I would have to go with the silver because there is an outside chance that the cost to make gold from led will go down in the future as modern technologies get more advanced. But that might not pan out either. (pun intended)

The problem with turning lead into gold as it can be done as well as turning other elements into gold is that you end up with radioactive gold, and no, melting it will not make the radiation go away.
its easier to make gold from Mercury than from lead also.
If you bombard Hg you will Gold, also a whole bunch of other things. All unstable and radioactive. Its not going to be coming anytime soon, there are also stability problems, just because it is gold for a while does not mean tis going to stay gold.

I think personally it would be funny if they started making Catalytic converts our of man made radio active platinum. Yes...lets clean the air but fill it with radio active particles!

And to answer the above question...I am biased, Id go for the gold, Much easier to carry and hide. And I use the stuff so yeah.
 
jewelerdave said:
patpall22 said:
Good question,

I think I would have to go with the silver because there is an outside chance that the cost to make gold from led will go down in the future as modern technologies get more advanced. But that might not pan out either. (pun intended)

The problem with turning lead into gold as it can be done as well as turning other elements into gold is that you end up with radioactive gold, and no, melting it will not make the radiation go away.
its easier to make gold from Mercury than from lead also.
If you bombard Hg you will Gold, also a whole bunch of other things. All unstable and radioactive. Its not going to be coming anytime soon, there are also stability problems, just because it is gold for a while does not mean tis going to stay gold.

Dave,
I too agree that the culmination of the alchemists dreams aren't in the foreseeable future but I can dream and weirder things have happened ( bush being elected then re-elected president.) ;D
 
I'd go with the silver. I think it has more upside potential in the long term based on manufacturing demand. I don't think there is any ceiling on silver prices. It has been to $50 before when gold was only at $800. Gold is at $949 right now so, in relation to the past history, silver could easily be well over $50 right now.
 
I'd maybe trade enough to buy a few oz's of gold but I really think we're about to see silver really blast off.
 
Its more the dollar going down than metals going up.
 
coolpix9 said:
Would you trade 1000 ounces of silver for 20 ounces of gold ? Gold is selling for roughly 51 times the price of silver. In a roundabout way, they are both worth give or take a few bucks, the same amount. Does silver have a much larger upside than gold does ? The idea of being able to store the same amount of value in a package that is 51 times as small is attractive. What do you guys and gals think ? Thanks, Jim

I think it matters what form the Silver is in. If you can trade 1000 oz of 40% halves for 20oz of gold I would do it. If you have a 1000oz bar I would do it. If you have 90% it would be your call. If you have 1 or 10 oz .999 bars I wouldn't make the trade.

Best of luck.

65GT350
 
I agree with the idea of dumping the 40% halves for the gold. But I do think silver has more potential of rising ( precentage wise ), and would be easier to convert to cash. Just MHO Gayle
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom