wow!! 25cent ring

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
i know this sould probly be posted someware else but take a look. i went to a yard sale sunday and this ring caught my eye it looked old. all jewlery was a quarter a piece. the lady who looked to be about 75 said it was her grandmothers. man she musta not liked her granny to sell this for a quarter. i got in the truck and put a loop on it and it says 14k!! ya got to be kidding me. the stone is bluish white. any ideas on the stone?? saphire maby? thanx . willy

Attachments

• scan0034.jpg
    scan0034.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 875
  • scan0035.jpg
    scan0035.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 877
  • scan0036.jpg
    scan0036.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 840
Upvote 0

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you lucky dog, I LOVE IT.. that is gorgeous..I love the old settings.

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a nice score Willy ! :icon_thumright: looks like a saphire ! Take it to a jewler and let us know. MaineRelic

DougF

Mar 19, 2007
Maryland, USA
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Nice find - that old lady is behind the times, even costume jewelry should go for a dollar per piece. That's not even taking into account that the ring was a family heirloom. ???

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
Like to see a clearer pic of the stone looks to be a star saphire nice snag . :coffee2:Rob

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice buy :icon_thumleft: cant beat that, count the number of settings holding that stone in place looks like maybe 12 ? if it wasn't a real stone the number would be very low but since i see a possible 12 that's a good indicator it just might be a Sapphire worth more then the 14k gold a jeweler friend of mine told me that once .Dd60

vthepresident

Dec 30, 2007
Charlottesville, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Prism II, Tesoro Sand Shark
Nice score...I guess. You sure scored one on that old lady...Congratulations?
I'm sure she was just bored, and that's why she decided to sell all of her grandmother's things.

hammong

Aug 29, 2009
vthepresident said:
Nice score...I guess. You sure scored one on that old lady...Congratulations?
I'm sure she was just bored, and that's why she decided to sell all of her grandmother's things.

I doubt Willy was looking to rip anyone off, it's difficult to tell while pawing over a table of obvious costume jewelry which items are genuine and which are pot metal without a loupe and close examination "on the spot". It was a yard sale -- people do put some thought into what they're going to sell, and how much they are asking for it. He could just as well have purchased a tin-nickel ring with a glass stone for that $0.50 and the seller would have been happy either way. Maybe grandma was indeed bored with it, maybe she hated the thing and just wanted somebody else to be happy with an heirloom she no longer wanted? Maybe nobody in the family wanted it?

I do say contratulations! Nice find. =)

Greg

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
she probly thought .25 was to much... my grandma was like that..she was always going by what something cost 60years or more ago... like she had a shawnee puss nboots cookie jar I told her it was worth about 150.00+ she said no it can't I only paid a 1.49 in 1948 for it... she wouldn't believe me..

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, the old setting of the stone and the overall looks of the ring looks to be an antique. Beautiful ring, and a good buy for you.

:wink: RR

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well at that price -- buy up all that jewelry ;D at 25 cents each I would --that one alone is worth a bit of $$$ --what else might be there as well? can easily resell em for 50 cents even the "fake" stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread