ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful point! Love the color! Congratulations!

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your nice recovery..I went out the other day for the first time searching for them..Walking along I saw a nice rock sand bar exposed in the center of a creek..Hopefully I will have better luck next time out..

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
That?s a good find! Not my area, but I thought Big Sandy Variant at first glance.
There seems to be a good number of guessing on this one. Have you put an ID on it?

OP
OP
reuellis

reuellis

Jul 25, 2014
Abandoned Teays River Valley, WV
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That?s a good find! Not my area, but I thought Big Sandy Variant at first glance.
There seems to be a good number of guessing on this one. Have you put an ID on it?

I?m not very good at identifying the types. I?m leaning towards a big sandy variant but not sold on it. My first thought was a monster brewerton but realized the base was wrong (I think....)

Could other pictures help?

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
I?m not very good at identifying the types. I?m leaning towards a big sandy variant but not sold on it. My first thought was a monster brewerton but realized the base was wrong (I think....)

Could other pictures help?

Always up for more pictures of a sweet Point like that one. Cool creek staining.

I have to jump in with Uni here on the Otter Creek ID. I would guess it?s an early example.

I spent a little time reviewing the Otter Creek type in A New England Typology by Jeff Boudreau. Turns out there is solid reasoning to believe there is an ancestral connection to Big Sandy and also a relation to the Brewerton Side Notched type.

Otter Creek vs Brewerton Side Notched. Generally Otter Creek is larger and more robust. But there are many examples that are hard to distinguish.

To my eye, the notable ID features that stand out are the robust notching and strong shoulders. That point also looks to have been vigorously resharpened. And still the strong shoulders remain. It was much larger when first made.
The lobed ears with a concave base are consistent with Otter Creek and Big Sandy.

Anyway-JMO

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread