What's new

xcal users question

bootybay

Gold Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2007
Messages
11,317
Reaction score
122
Golden Thread
1
Location
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit the beaches last nite, well, low and behold I got my first chance to do a good deed, a frantic woman, was standing by a sandcastle, she was lifting her shirt off to go into the water, she heard it coming off as she was taking the shirt off..her almost 1/2 kt diamond earring ( post type, but she caught the backing as it fell out) so, I asked her to please take her other earring out.. I tried every setting, even no disc. I couldnt get one single reading on it.. what did I do wrong? or cant the xcal pick up that tiny amount of gold on her setting? I failed.. her hubby tried to give me money and I refused it.. but it sure woulda been great had I found it.. what I do not understand is, I will find tons of copper itsy bitsy round dots..but couldnt find her earring.. so did I do something wrong.
 
Upvote 0
Too bad it couldn't get found. My woman has a few white-gold and/or platinum earings (horshoes w/stones, few hundred buck variety)that are prettymuch e-trac, excal and F70 proof. Not sure if a smaller coil will hit them better or not? My F70 w/ the smaller stock coil would kinda hit a couple of them, maybe faintly out to 2 inches or so, the display actually showed negative numbers occasionally on one (didn't know it had a negative sign to display!). I have a 14kt gold ring that is detectorproof, due to it having a slice in it (recently learned this, fairly sure I chopped it w/scoop?), push the slice so both ends touch and it is detectable, let the ends open up and it is not. Maybe shape somehow affects this? Weird, because sometimes it's amazing how a tiny, and I mean a tiny target will ring almost boldly with the excal in the water!
 
I found this earring with my Excalibur in about waist deep water. It gave out a good signal but the post was .925 silver as opposed to gold.
 

Attachments

  • 07_14_10 finds06.webp
    07_14_10 finds06.webp
    156.4 KB · Views: 275
  • 07_14_10 finds06.webp
    07_14_10 finds06.webp
    156.4 KB · Views: 277
Sometimes just the shape of the target makes them harder to detect. I have found earring backs galore, and it might be because they are flat.
 
I have found several stud earrings, 2 tested good for gold and diamond, 2 more were silver and the others were clad. Excal found all of them..........
 
Did you check it in AM/Pinpoint? Just a idea................joe
 
Joe, I tried everything, even tried to set my machine to the one earring she had left, minus the backing..as thats how the earring was lost.. frustrating that I couldnt find it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom