What's new

Yankee copper

Joined
Apr 11, 2013
Messages
251
Reaction score
329
Golden Thread
0
Location
Wyoming Valley. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1762 deplorable invaders from the north(east) claimed my area as there own . These "Yankees" from Connecticut jumped over New York and set up shop in northeastern PA. What followed were many horrible acts now remembered as "The Yankee - Pennamite War".
With this history i always figured my chances of finding a Connecticut copper were pretty good and today was the day. Revisiting my best permission for at least the 20th time has proved fruitful.
100_1908.webp100_1909.webp

Not much but enough there to know what it is .HH and thank you all for looking! If anyone sees anything that can point to what variety it is I'd appreciate it
 
Upvote 28
VERY nice copper! Research and perseverance! Ddf
 
Congrats on the old copper, a nice piece of history
 
Last edited:
Last edited:
I'd feel better about this post if you could clean it up enough to make out a date.

I wish i could. i took a tooth pic to it and nothing came off. Nothing there is dirt , its all corrosion . any tips would be appreciated.
 
one thing i noticed , after CONNEC there looks to be a 6 pointed star with no other dots. Every example i've seen has dots or 5 pointed stars after CONNEC . possible counterfeit ?
 
I wish i could. i took a tooth pic to it and nothing came off. Nothing there is dirt , its all corrosion . any tips would be appreciated.

Looks like an excellent candidate for a hydrogen peroxide soak and some brushing or finger rubbing.
 
one thing i noticed , after CONNEC there looks to be a 6 pointed star with no other dots. Every example i've seen has dots or 5 pointed stars after CONNEC . possible counterfeit ?



There is counterfeit CT coppers, but it's most likely genuine and you just need to reveal more detail to confirm an ID.
 
I'm afraid . I use peroxide cleaning but to me this one looks like what detail there is will just flake away . the more i look at it the bust isn't corroded, it's just slicked down to nothing, in the bottom right you can see part of a shoulder . Same thing with the date . theres enough not corroded that you should see something there but all i see is smooth coin.
 
I'm afraid . I use peroxide cleaning but to me this one looks like what detail there is will just flake away . the more i look at it the bust isn't corroded, it's just slicked down to nothing, in the bottom right you can see part of a shoulder . Same thing with the date . theres enough not corroded that you should see something there but all i see is smooth coin.


I tend to disagree peroxide would cause much harm, but you are the one seeing it in person... and of course it's your coin. The question is... would the peroxide soak be a net gain or a net loss for the over all condition. Based on what I see suggests a gain, but again you have to make that decision yourself. The reason I think it will hold up fine is the metal looks very good, mostly corrosion free. The coins that tend to have the serious flaking issues are much worse, usually covered in corrosion.
 
Very nice find! Looks like IP has a good ID on that beaut.
Congrats
 
Very nice pre-United States copper coin! George Washington would have been relaxing at Mount Vernon the year this coin was minted passing his time exporting tobacco to England and importing luxuries for himself and Martha. :occasion14:
 
Nice coin though it does have a strange wear pattern. There's good relief in some places and worn slick in others. Congrats
 
Congrats on the state copper. Good luck with getting and ID.

John
 
As IP stated, definitely not one of the varieties in the links, but should be enough detail to nail it down with a little patience.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom