Years Of Experience Collecting Native American Artifacts

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thread is for information only, trying to get total years experience of forum.

How many years experience collecting Native American artifacts do you have?

I will start off, I started collecting in 1981 when I found my first point in a corn field.

Please end post with total years.

39 years.

Last edited:
Upvote 10

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
An old Narragansett Indian/Swamp Yankee by the name of Georgie Hammond, who had no children of his own, bugged me every summer vacation, every single time he saw me, to "let me take you arrowhead hunting". And I was always "Georgie, I'm going crabbing today", or "Going fishing, Georgie". Finally, one day I said "OK", and found my first point in the corn field next to the summer house, on the Pettaquamscutt River. That was 1957, age 9, going on 10. Still have that point, and I can still see tall as a beanstalk Georgie, looking down at me, him grinning from ear to ear.

63 years.

Last edited:

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've spent years tracking down and cataloging tens-of-thousands of pictographs and petroglyphs, as well as numerous habitation sites and villages. I've come across TONS of artifacts (points, pottery sherds, twig figures, etc.), but never take them...I leave them where I found them and only take a picture. Some of my finds have been previously unknown / undocumented and I've been in-touch with various archaeologists about them. For me, the fun is in the hunt...get my boots on and go explore. Whether I come across something, or not, is secondary to being out in the mountains and desert. Happy hunting!

Have you ever seen the petroglyphs at Long Lake, Oregon? They are located East of Adel, OR. If you're ever over in this neck of the woods check 'em out. Stop in at the Adel Store for directions.:thumbsup:

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I started with my older brother around 1964, so 56 years. We lived almost right on the Scioto River south of Columbus Oh. He got me started and I am still hooked. Ohio where I lived was a great place to find all types of artifacts. I also met over the years many serious collectors and tried to learn from them. I will admit to not seriously studying types when I was young and actually this site has taught me as much about types, manufacture, etc. as anything else. A lot of smart generous people chime in and give great advice and encouragement. I moved back to Florida in 83 and ramped up searching for awhile. Now not so much. Getting close to retirement and sold my boat last spring so maybe I'll be finding new stuff soon.

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1968 my grandpa gave me an arrowhead he found digging peatmoss. It was a gift for my eighth birthday. He passed away a month later. The next year I found my first arrowhead, I always wished he knew what he started. So 51 years I guess.

Apr 1, 2020
Kansas
Detector(s) used
I'm new, I don't own one yet!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been treasure hunting since I was old enough to explore the creeks and woods where I lived. I found arrowheads, Buffalo head nickles, Mercury dimes, Indian cents. I've never owned a metal detector, always have wanted one. Through the years I've collected pretty much any interesting, old thing in my path. I have a novice collection of domestic and foreign coins, silver in it's many forms, special rocks. The stream that flows under my fishing bridge dried up in a drought. I found an old Camp minnow trap in perfect condition, all stuck in the mud. In the same dried up stream I also found two iron 'feet' to some kind of turn of the century stove or heater.
30 years

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been looking casually (just keeping an eye out exploring creeks and hiking, ya know, not trying super hard) for probably five years at least, I found my first artifact about three weeks ago and my second yesterday (woo hoo! It wasn't a whole point but it's better than nothing).

Sooo... 5 years if you count the time before I found anything or .05 years if you count since I have actually been finding things... let's go with 5. :laughing7:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First trip was with my parents my brother was in a crib I am 5 years older than him. Still have the arrowheads in a box from that day. So found my first arrowhead say 55 years ago? Been hunting them on my own 46 years off and on.
Here they are.
IMG_6213.JPG

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With some not being specific in their responses, as best as I can tally up collective experience to this point...

1,461 Years

Now approaching millennia which is not so surprising to me!

Yet, newcomers still think we don't know what we're talking about when we have to break it to them that their "artifact" is just a rock.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True but remember we all were new once. You would laugh at some of the things I thought were Indian related. Lots of rocks and no internet. Lucky I had a few mentors.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Casual looking, a lifetime. Active looking, 1 year. ╦╦C

rockTexas

Tenderfoot
Dec 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digging and Hunting Artifacts

Thread is for information only, trying to get total years experience of forum.

How many years experience collecting Native American artifacts do you have?

I will start off, I started collecting in 1981 when I found my first point in a corn field.

Please end post with total years.

39 years.

Since 1970.

Seadog72

Mar 29, 2014
Stewart County, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Other
I grew up in the Mojave Desert of SoCal. Started finding Cahuilla artifacts from an early age. My grandparents/parents were “rockhounds” so we literally spent our childhood on the desert, having a blast! Jeeps, dirtbikes, camping, petrified wood & bone, obsidian arrowheads & Apache tears, agate, sagenite, selenite, amathyst - that was my youth!! My grandpa had a goldmine out by Bell Mnt in Victorville. We explored ancient volcanos, petroglyphs, ghost towns, knapping grounds & old battle sites. Was a great time!! Have traveled the world since then, and never slowed down!,

40 yrs

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread