🥇 BANNER Yesssssssssss!

U

umrgolf

(found out this buckle is a rarity 8, meaning there are 16-30 known)

I have always wanted to dig a CS buckle of any type, and today I was able to cross it off the list!!

I hadn't been out in a couple weeks so I decided to head out this morning for a few hours. I went back to the spot where I found the 1851 Officer's sword belt buckle and sabre guard last month, and not 10 minutes into today's hunt, I found a pulltab LOL. And then, two feet away I scored the buckle. I immediately called a few buddies and was almost so excited I couldn't speak.

Honest to God, when I first dug it I thought it said "08"... I had never seen this style buckle so I knocked off a little dirt off and when I realized what I was looking at, I was absolutely floored. In my area there was VERY LITTLE confederate activity so this is a very significant find. I would almost have to believe this was a battlefield pickup that was carried back by a Union soldier. Unfortunately the loop broke into 2 pieces as I was pulling it from the rock hard dirt. I will be sending it off to get repaired next week!

The buckle was identified by my good friend, Josh (Sentinel) as a LEECH & RIGDON CS tongue produced in Memphis, TN. Thanks for looking!
The last 2 photos are General Nathan Bedford Forrest wearing a tongue and wreath buckle made by the same company :thumbsup:

*buckle was selected for W&E Treasures annual best finds

Attachments

• IMG_0997.JPG
    IMG_0997.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_0996_1.JPG
    IMG_0996_1.JPG
    300.4 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0994_1.JPG
    IMG_0994_1.JPG
    352.5 KB · Views: 141
  • LieutenantGeneralNathanBedfordForrest.jpg
    LieutenantGeneralNathanBedfordForrest.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 242
  • LieutenantGeneralNathanBedfordForrest 2.jpg
    LieutenantGeneralNathanBedfordForrest 2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Upvote 25
Now that....is a find of a lifetime indeed!:hello2: Yesssssssssss!! Congrats my friend and my banner vote is in as well!!:headbang: Unbelievable Jeff, that is one heck of a find right there. I haven't seen you post anything up in awhile, so I thought maybe you were waiting till the ground was a little more kind for you. Wow, way to come back with that for a holy grail buckle!!!!!! Don't get much sweeter than that!!!!!!! Find the wreath now! LOL

Congrats again and well deserved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IM

Now THAT':headbang:S what it's all about!............FANTASTIC FIND!!!!!!.....................HH

Wonderful!!!!! Congratulations. Yes, a Leech and Rigdon is a rare buckle.......and it is from the Taxpayer Revolt of 1861-1865!!

You found that with a Fisher? How deep? Good signal?

Yes, Fisher Gold Bug DP. It was about 4 inches deep hitting 82, which is right where dimes hit. I honestly didn't think much of the signal because that area of the site had given up nothing but trash until today!

Now that....is a find of a lifetime indeed!:hello2: Yesssssssssss!! Congrats my friend and my banner vote is in as well!!:headbang: Unbelievable Jeff, that is one heck of a find right there. I haven't seen you post anything up in awhile, so I thought maybe you were waiting till the ground was a little more kind for you. Wow, way to come back with that for a holy grail buckle!!!!!! Don't get much sweeter than that!!!!!!! Find the wreath now! LOL

Congrats again and well deserved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IM

If you get a chance, check out the video. I'm pretty sure that wreath is on the other side of the fence. :laughing9:

If you get a chance, check out the video. I'm pretty sure that wreath is on the other side of the fence. :laughing9:

I bet your right! Get after it!!:icon_thumright:

IM

P.S. I finally added to my seated count today, with an 1862 dime! Eyeballed!!

It's good when you can cross off a rare one, CONGRATS!

what a super find-you guys amaze me-keep em comin! lets see.....yea banner!

Awesome BANNER find.:icon_thumleft:

AWESOME FIND!!!!
Congrats!!!

Joe

Congrats on getting a rare relic find that is the goal of many who love finding CW era finds. Finding the other half would be the icing on the cake but the cake is good enough.

Don

Congratulations! I'll vote!

beautiful! big congrats on that one. :icon_thumleft: now go back and find the wreath

Better be a well deserved banner, for you and that buckle!
Carl

Nice buckle CONGRATS! :hello2:

I've never seen anything like that! You mustve been in total denial! Awesome for you, congrats!

I've never seen anything like that! You mustve been in total denial! Awesome for you, congrats!

I couldn't believe it! Exactly what I've been looking for the last five years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back