Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful, getting shocked can stunt your growth........

laughing11.gif

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmmmm, maybe if you cut three inches off that rake handle Limitool , it won't try that again...:laughing7:

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could write a book on the dumb stuff I have done but I'll just give two examples. I was working on my car one hot day and turned a fan on in an effort to coll down a little. Then I grabbed the can of aerosol paint stripper and quickly realized that the two did not go together. Luckily I was close to a garden hose and was able to rinse the stripper off before it burned me too much!
As for nail guns, I was using a trim gun to put down baseboard. I laid the gun in my lap to position a board and when I picked it up the safety switch hit my leg and the trigger fired driving a 2.5" nail into my thigh bone! The head of the nail was barley protruding so I had to push down with my nippers to get a grip on the nail. It came out but it made me say my Sunday school lesson three times!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
you can fix stupid ...just like getting the dog "fixed" /// at times stupid even "fixes" it self ..the Darwin awards its called

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I could write a book on the dumb stuff I have done but I'll just give two examples. I was working on my car one hot day and turned a fan on in an effort to coll down a little. Then I grabbed the can of aerosol paint stripper and quickly realized that the two did not go together. Luckily I was close to a garden hose and was able to rinse the stripper off before it burned me too much!
As for nail guns, I was using a trim gun to put down baseboard. I laid the gun in my lap to position a board and when I picked it up the safety switch hit my leg and the trigger fired driving a 2.5" nail into my thigh bone! The head of the nail was barley protruding so I had to push down with my nippers to get a grip on the nail. It came out but it made me say my Sunday school lesson three times!

While I don't wish ya any more bad luck.... BUT, with said I am glad I'm not the only one who's shot themselves with a nailer or staple gun though. I feel a little better.

When I shot myself with the stud nailer (as I said before) I went to the hospital about 3 hrs. later. After the x-rays the Doc came in with a shot and some pain pills for me. I told him AFTER I shot myself I went into the house and had a couple of beers and to regroup. Then he says "What in the hell are you doing drinking and using a nailer"? I said I wasn't.... "I drank afterwards!" I told him about the beers so he'd know if it had something to do with the pills he was giving me. Then he says "This place is so full of stupid people...."

Really pissed me off.... If I would have had the nailer in my hand right then I'd of put one in the middle of his forehead and hung the gun on it! I bit my tongue and left. It was a stupid thing but he just threw fuel on a fire!!!

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't feel too bad .I was repairing a rear quarter on a 4-door car I had to fix the edge by the door (crash job) kept opening and closing the door to check the door gap. I ducked so it would miss me cause rear doors have the curve for the rear wheel. Finally get the fit I wanted grabbed the door forgot to duck and slammed my head into the edge of the quarter panel. Don't know what was worse the head ache or the red line down my fore head from the door jamb.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A female perspective. Yeah, but stupid can sometimes fix a lot of things which is why we allow them to be around

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A female perspective. Yeah, but stupid can sometimes fix a lot of things which is why we allow them to be around

That's what my wife says also.... But it sure SUCKS when you do something stupid to yourself. I KNOW there's MANY men here who could rat themselves out. But we all have our pride... :occasion14:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
???

Last edited:
S

stefen

Most newer door openers are designed to stop and reverse as a built-in child-proof protective system.

My garage/shop door stops and reverses if there is any obstruction...be it a cardboard box or F-150...

If your opener is not up to date, maybe its time to do so. (a good fix next time you make a ....)

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sensor may have been under the back bed of the truck and it did not get triggered when he backed in. I am in construction and have seen it all at one time or another :laughing7:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I don't wish ya any more bad luck.... BUT, with said I am glad I'm not the only one who's shot themselves with a nailer or staple gun though. I feel a little better.

When I shot myself with the stud nailer (as I said before) I went to the hospital about 3 hrs. later. After the x-rays the Doc came in with a shot and some pain pills for me. I told him AFTER I shot myself I went into the house and had a couple of beers and to regroup. Then he says "What in the hell are you doing drinking and using a nailer"? I said I wasn't.... "I drank afterwards!" I told him about the beers so he'd know if it had something to do with the pills he was giving me. Then he says "This place is so full of stupid people...."

Really pissed me off.... If I would have had the nailer in my hand right then I'd of put one in the middle of his forehead and hung the gun on it! I bit my tongue and left. It was a stupid thing but he just threw fuel on a fire!!!

Heh, The only stupid thing you did there was go to the ER!:laughing7: I got about the same response from an ER doc, and replied "The only dumb thing I did was show up here". This was after I had gotten my toe caught between a trailer frame and the curb. Walked in he looks at it, sends me for an Xray. He comes back in and takes a pair of tweezers and pulls the nail off. I refused the tetnus shot and out the door I go with a pain med script. Cost = almost $4500!?!?!? Roll back a bunch of years tore the end off my little toe, exposing the bone. Go to the lifeguard station wash out the tip and hit it with peroxide & iodine. Plop the end back on the toe. All healed can't tell anything happened. Even got a compliment from a doc! Cost = 3 bottles of jack a few six packs and some iodine & gauze.

Quit drinking back in 1976. The only drawback is when I do something blatantly stupid, I don't have the ole "I was messed up drunk when I did it". :tongue3::tongue3::tongue3::tongue3: Soooooo, I'm getting better at taking the ribbing after all these years.

Quote from a guy I worked with "It's OK if I lose the finger I've got ten more!" No one wanted to work around the guy much. :laughing7::laughing7:

Another of my quotes for getting hit in the head. "Glad it hit me in the head! Anywhere else would've hurt!"

Last edited:
OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most newer door openers are designed to stop and reverse as a built-in child-proof protective system.

My garage/shop door stops and reverses if there is any obstruction...be it a cardboard box or F-150...

If your opener is not up to date, maybe its time to do so. (a good fix next time you make a ....)

Your probably right.... It is a brand new door with a heavy duty Liftmaster opener. I never put it to the "test" yet. I do know the eye works because the dogs trip it all the time when lowering. I'll have to set something in the way (cardboard box) and see if it works. But I sure didn't think about it when the door started down. It was a short trip down to the cab roof (98 Chevy 3/4 dual cab). But I'd bet your right about a sensor there.... just don't want to use my cab as a "tryout".

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The one side of the two car garage we discovered it didn't work. So it's a manual lift up and pull down affair till we do renovations on the place. Last winter I was putting something away in a hurry -30C outside and I grabbed the panel instead of the handle in the dark and pulled down, brain-fart as the door slamming shut tip of middle finger in the crack, and it was a F! F! F! trying to grab the handle to pull it back up. Knitted gloves nice imprint of knit one pearl two on the blue tip.:BangHead:

In the mid nineties I was seriously thinking about doing some silver jewellery importing, having a stock of 45kg I was a bit jumpy travelling around selling it to stores so I carried a container of Mace in the front pocket. So I was carring a large pile of printing plates that I'd bought at an auction up to the warehouse from the basement and I could feel this cool solvent feeling going on my leg and then on the boys and then it was HELLO IDIOT!The brain figured it out pretty quick, container emptied as the top snapped from the pressure of the plates. 50mph drive home, shower, soap, shower, soap, shower, cream a hour later still it was like hot pepper in the eye feeling. I really learnt something that day, not to be so paranoid about being robbed.

Now your the type guy who'd I'd easily get along with. Either one of us could screw up badly and we'd just take it in stride together!!!!!

Was roofing my house long ago. My adult kids were helping me. Daughter was lying shingles and I was hammering them in place manually. My son had the air nailer on the other side of roof. Things were going great and we were gonna do the whole roof in one day. About 1/2 up "my" side of the roof I hit my thumb with the hammer... HARD! Like real - real HARD. It was the kind of pain that just stifles you in a freeze frame moment. Hurt so bad you couldn't yell, scream, jump up and down or do anything for a minute or two... just suck it up and let the wave of pain past. After the first wave passed I got down for awhile and the kids keep going. About 20 minutes later I'm back up and everybody is laughing at me.... About 10 minutes later I guess I needed a second opinion if the first thumb hit really did hurt.

Damned if I wasn't right.... IT DID REALLY HURT.... x5 MORE THIS TIME!!!!! I did the fetal position and just rocked back and forth for about 15 minutes and QUIT!!!!!

Pepperj.... I bet that did REALLY hurt when those panels closed on the finger tip.... Ever notice how much more it hurts when your cold? Don't know why.... but it does!

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heh, The only stupid thing you did there was go to the ER!:laughing7: I got about the same response from an ER doc, and replied "The only dumb thing I did was show up here". This was after I had gotten my toe caught between a trailer frame and the curb. Walked in he looks at it, sends me for an Xray. He comes back in and takes a pair of tweezers and pulls the nail off. I refused the tetnus shot and out the door I go with a pain med script. Cost = almost $4500!?!?!? Roll back a bunch of years tore the end off my little toe, exposing the bone. Go to the lifeguard station wash out the tip and hit it with peroxide & iodine. Plop the end back on the toe. All healed can't tell anything happened. Even got a compliment from a doc! Cost = 3 bottles of jack a few six packs and some iodine & gauze.

Quit drinking back in 1976. The only drawback is when I do something blatantly stupid, I don't have the ole "I was messed up drunk when I did it". :tongue3::tongue3::tongue3::tongue3: Soooooo, I'm getting better at taking the ribbing after all these years.

Quote from a guy I worked with "It's OK if I lose the finger I've got ten more!" No one wanted to work around the guy much. :laughing7::laughing7:

Another of my quotes for getting hit in the head. "Glad it hit me in the head! Anywhere else would've hurt!"

Good post guy..... But that guy with the finger quote... He must have looked weird with 11 fingers starting out!!!!!!! (Don't blame ya though) :laughing7:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I was using my table saw out in the yard when this "friend" came by to borrow more money and just bug the crap out of me while I was working. I got so distracted by this fool it was starting to get me p.o.
I thought, I better calm down before I screw up using this table saw!
Then it happened... I was so distracted by this guy I proceeded to do what I'd feared. I ran my thumb into the blade and almost went into shock!
Long story short, I grabbed my thumb to stop the blood from squirting out and as I was about to pass out, I yelled for my daughter to give me some help and she screams, "what do I do?"
I didn't know what to do so I thought about the old westerns where they give a guy whiskey to help calm him down so they could get the bullet out.
I told my daughter to bring me a beer from the fridge and I drank two in a row.
Well, that didn't stop the bleeding but it did help me get control of myself and make it to the hospital.
I told the doctor that I was able to stave off going into shock by drinking two beers and he gave me that look that was all too clear what he thought! I wonder how dumb he would of acted if he cut his thumb in two?
My lesson was don't lend money and is there anything beer can't do?

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is why I usually avoid getting involved with home improvement projects all all costs. Someone could get hurt! Glad you are ok though Brad.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread