Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can't fix stupid #2

Yesterday afternoon I'm out in my newly built workshop hanging OSB sheets on the walls. Radio is cranked, cold beer on the work island and its sunny and warm outside. I have about 20 4 x 8 x 1/2" sheets left in the truck bed. The 8' overhead garage door is up and I have the truck backed in up to the cab. I'm standing on a six foot step ladder about 4 ft. from the open 8' garage door. I'm going up the ladder to the 3rd step to staple a sheet up to the studs. I had leaned a rake handle up against the ladder because it was in the way for this 2nd sheet to go up. As I climbed the ladder the rake handle moved and fell against the garage door opener. Now what happened next only took about 2-3 seconds total.

.25 Seconds: When I heard the garage door opener kick on I thought it won't come down because the electric eye is blocked by the truck.
.75 Seconds: Door IS coming down!!!!
1.0 Seconds: Realized truck is sitting to high to block the electric eye.
2-3 Seconds: I was coming down ladder, dropped air stapler and raced to the opener/closer button and PRESSED!

Well it stopped.... and I swear you couldn't have slide a piece of paper between the overhead door and the roof of the cab....! Not a scratch. Talk about a stupid move on my part. Had to go the work island and the cold beer for awhile and regroup.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It happens to best of us. All I do is chuckle and call myself a Dillweed. Time to stop re-evaluate the situation, thanks the Lord and continue to drive on.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tool - A couple things, why 1/2 inch OSB - that's pretty heavy duty for an inside garage wall? You "staple" the 4 X 8 sheet to studs? I've never heard of that, even with sheetrock, we use screws.

And.......Don't worry about the clumsiness!! As we get older, it gets worse - I shake my head at myself - almost everyday now :laughing7:

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Maybe next time, disengage the emergency release lever on the garage door shaft that is used for manual unlock with a key.
I don't consider you situation as stupid. My description would be highly focused on job at hand.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've done worse !!!and with worse outcomes !!glad for your save,nice job on that..:occasion14:

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see any thing stupid at all. I'm sure it all happened just the way you planned it, nothing got hurt, and you got time for another beer.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tool - A couple things, why 1/2 inch OSB - that's pretty heavy duty for an inside garage wall? You "staple" the 4 X 8 sheet to studs? I've never heard of that, even with sheetrock, we use screws.

And.......Don't worry about the clumsiness!! As we get older, it gets worse - I shake my head at myself - almost everyday now :laughing7:

Ok RingFinder... I truly don't know if it was clumsiness or an "attitude" of mine when the broom handle came back at me and then ME having an attitude shoving it forward toward the switch. But I did start the chain of events that I BARELY averted!!!!!

Now as far as the 1/2 OSB for the walls to studs....? Whenever I did/do drywall I always used screws also. This building is 60 x 30 x 10 and is meant to be a large woodworking shop. The only reason I'm using the staples is for the ease/quickness of putting them up and the time involved. I am using screws around "important" areas like the breaker box area and spots where junction metal boxes are utilized within the walls so I can access later if needed. The reason for the 1/2" is so I can attach floor mounted cabinets to the walls and hang brackets wherever I want if studs aren't convenient. This building has been completely insulated within the walls and I'll blow in the roof insulation when complete.

Now I'm not an "expert" at all..... PLEASE... if I'm doing something wrong using 1 1/4" staples PLEASE let me know. I'd like to know. You'd have to destroy the sheets to remove them from the studs.

Is that your point....?

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok RingFinder... I truly don't know if it was clumsiness or an "attitude" of mine when the broom handle came back at me and then ME having an attitude shoving it forward toward the switch. But I did start the chain of events that I BARELY averted!!!!!

Now as far as the 1/2 OSB for the walls to studs....? Whenever I did/do drywall I always used screws also. This building is 60 x 30 x 10 and is meant to be a large woodworking shop. The only reason I'm using the staples is for the ease/quickness of putting them up and the time involved. I am using screws around "important" areas like the breaker box area and spots where junction metal boxes are utilized within the walls so I can access later if needed. The reason for the 1/2" is so I can attach floor mounted cabinets to the walls and hang brackets wherever I want if studs aren't convenient. This building has been completely insulated within the walls and I'll blow in the roof insulation when complete.

Now I'm not an "expert" at all..... PLEASE... if I'm doing something wrong using 1 1/4" staples PLEASE let me know. I'd like to know. You'd have to destroy the sheets to remove them from the studs.

Is that your point....?

No point tool - just wondering because I've never seen it done that way? I thought wow, that 1/2" OSB must cost a fortune. If you want that heavy duty stuff, no issues here; I was just wondering. If the stapes work, great - just have never seen that before either. Thanks for replying!!

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No point tool - just wondering because I've never seen it done that way? I thought wow, that 1/2" OSB must cost a fortune. If you want that heavy duty stuff, no issues here; I was just wondering. If the stapes work, great - just have never seen that before either. Thanks for replying!!

I'm with you guy..... I've never heard of it done before either. But I did staple a small piece to the studs beforehand and tried to get it back off. It was brutally hard. I had to destroy the wood to get it back off. So.... I decided to pull the trigger on using the 1 1/4" staples. I hope I'm not screwing up either. I need to read my PM from Oregon Viking now. This is right up his ally... he'll let me know! As far as cost I didn't think it was real bad. A little less than 1800 sq. ft. to cover on the walls (- windows-4, doors-3, 1-8' x 16' overhead door) for under $500.00???? I'm putting 1/4" stock on the ceiling rafters and then I'll blow in a bunch of insulation. Stay tuned TRF.... :occasion14:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with you guy..... I've never heard of it done before either. But I did staple a small piece to the studs beforehand and tried to get it back off. It was brutally hard. I had to destroy the wood to get it back off. So.... I decided to pull the trigger on using the 1 1/4" staples. I hope I'm not screwing up either. I need to read my PM from Oregon Viking now. This is right up his ally... he'll let me know! As far as cost I didn't think it was real bad. A little less than 1800 sq. ft. to cover on the walls (- windows-4, doors-3, 1-8' x 16' overhead door) for under $500.00???? I'm putting 1/4" stock on the ceiling rafters and then I'll blow in a bunch of insulation. Stay tuned TRF.... :occasion14:

As long as your studs are older and are done shrinking (drying) it should be all good. The only worry would be the studs drying and releasing the staples letting the wall fall on you just as you were trying to keep the garage door from crushing the truck. :tongue3:

BTW: You might add a wall switch to the opener circuit as a safety. How do I know this??? :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7: You gotta ask???? :hello:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow you was lucky. I thought you was going to say drop the air stapler and it went off and shot me in the a__.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow you was lucky. I thought you was going to say drop the air stapler and it went off and shot me in the a__.

Naw... I didn't shoot myself (this time). But a 1 1/4" crown staple would sure hurt.

But..... (STUPID #3) I did back in 95' I was building a huge deck between my pool and home. I was anchoring some joice boards down with the large air stud gun. I got to close to the top of a board, shot the gun and it spit the board and buried itself completely (-1/4") between my right thumb and pointer finger. It took a few seconds of me flipping my hand back and forth looking to see where the rest of the nail was before I realized it was IN ME! I grabbed the 1/4" and spun it some to see if it was loose or buried in bone. It moved.... so I pulled it out. The nail stock used small wire to align the nails. It was like pulling a fish hook back out... but I pulled it out. I went to hospital about 3 hrs. later because it was hurting more and more. It had hit the thumb bone and just slide down it... "flesh wound". Still hurt like hell for a long time.

Booeygman.... Go ahead and humor me! I ratted myself out. I myself could probably post "STUPID #3-#20" if I tried.

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Naw... I didn't shoot myself (this time). But a 1 1/4" crown staple would sure hurt.

But..... (STUPID #3) I did back in 95' I was building a huge deck between my pool and home. I was anchoring some joice boards down with the large air stud gun. I got to close to the top of a board, shot the gun and it spit the board and buried itself completely (-1/4") between my right thumb and pointer finger. It took a few seconds of me flipping my hand back and forth looking to see where the rest of the nail was before I realized it was IN ME! I grabbed the 1/4" and spun it some to see if it was loose or buried in bone. It moved.... so I pulled it out. The nail stock used small wire to align the nails. It was like pulling a fish hook back out... but I pulled it out. I went to hospital about 3 hrs. later because it was hurting more and more. It had hit the thumb bone and just slide down it... "flesh wound". Still hurt like hell for a long time.

Booeygman.... Go ahead and humor me! I ratted myself out. I myself could probably post "STUPID #3-#20" if I tried.

Lessee....... Was trying to bring sheets of ply into the garage, hooked the release cable for the door, gave a good yank & you know the rest, hence the wall switch suggestion. As far as pin nailers and nail guns. Shooting trim around a window, fired the gun the pin went in hit a nailhead did a U went back out through my thumb & thumbnail. Wouldn't have been so bad had I not had to get the homeowner get my wire nippers out of my bags since I was stuck to the wall.

Same thing with a deck we had my partners son helping / learning. He put his son on his nailer shooting 16s. Just as I was gonna say something to dad, the kid fired it. Nailer jumped up hit dad in the mouth and broke his jaw came back down hit the kids foot. The kid lost a nail. You had to bee there, it was like front row to the three stooges.

Wiring a 220v plug. Set the wires down to reach for something. In shorts! Sat down on the wires pulled myself up off the floor, figured out where I was. At least that one no one was around. :laughing7: Still got a little scar by my butt cheek.

Just to give you an idea. Quote from grandpa " son you don't own hands, just those two hunks of scar tissue hangin from your wrists."

Last edited:
OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lessee....... Was trying to bring sheets of ply into the garage, hooked the release cable for the door, gave a good yank & you know the rest, hence the wall switch suggestion. As far as pin nailers and nail guns. Shooting trim around a window, fired the gun the pin went in hit a nailhead did a U went back out through my thumb & thumbnail. Wouldn't have been so bad had I not had to get the homeowner get my wire nippers out of my bags since I was stuck to the wall.

Same thing with a deck we had my partners son helping / learning. He put his son on his nailer shooting 16s. Just as I was gonna say something to dad, the kid fired it. Nailer jumped up hit dad in the mouth and broke his jaw came back down hit the kids foot. The kid lost a nail. You had to bee there, it was like front row to the three stooges.

Wiring a 220v plug. Set the wires down to reach for something. In shorts! Sat down on the wires pulled myself up off the floor, figured out where I was. At least that one no one was around. :laughing7: Still got a little scar by my butt cheek.

Just to give you an idea. Quote from grandpa " son you don't own hands, just those two hunks of scar tissue hangin from your wrists."

HOLY S..t Boogeyeman... "We need too start a thread of "stupid happenstances"...!!!! It wouldn't be a real "pridefull" thread but it sure the hell would let others know THERE'RE NOT ALONE!!!!

My late father used to tell me "Son, there are no easy projects"... God, he was right!!!

1 EXAMPLE: Since I knew everything at age 37 here we go.... Dad sitting at kitchen table watching me "fix" this 220 oven problem on an electric stove. 110V burners all worked. He's not 6 ft. away smoking his cig and drinking a cold beer. I got this appliance pulled up/out from the wall with the back completely off and pulled within his view (He was an electrician among many other trades). He's watching me with my tester and reaching in to "wiggle" wires. Suddenly he says.... "STOP"... don't do that again. I did it again and found myself thrown up against the frig about 3 ft. away. Advise: don't stand on a huge metal cold air return (barefoot), grab wires while it's pulled in.... DUH...!

Within 3 hrs. I had a new over/stove. That really hurt.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(Chinese accent) You are fast like cat...

But much to learn grasshopper.

Rice paper must not pass next time.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
(Chinese accent) You are fast like cat...

But much to learn grasshopper.

Rice paper must not pass next time.

Listen guy.... fast forward 23 years and I've realized a LOT. But at 60 every now and then I "look around" because I just can't believe what I just did!!!!!!!

Now before everybody believes I'm just a complete idiot.... I'm not (I promise you). But every now and then.... well sh** happens... what can I say...? It happens to all of us... DOESN'T IT????? HELLO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread