Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The woman called out my name and so I slowly got up. The guy sitting by me glanced over at me as he heard my bones creak and pop. As I began to slowly start towards her, she called out my name again. Another man spoke up and told her, "He's running now!" Everyone in the room laughed but sadly it was the truth. Even when I can move somewhat faster, I have to be careful lest I manage to trip and fall. I had a guy in a wheelchair tell me that he could get around a lot faster than I could, I'm glad that he felt that way. I had a doctor tell me that I needed to walk on a treadmill but then he saw my cane and remembered how badly I walked on the side of my foot. But it is still a what you make of it thing. I may be limited in how far I detect these days and how long but it is still an attitude thing. Recent falls have made it harder to hold the detector very long so I end up swapping hands for a bit. A man shook his head as he watched me detecting, I do look like a drunk when I walk. I smiled as I told him, "If I were a horse, they would have put me down years ago." Uneven ground is a nightmare for me but I force myself to go on it just because. Life is what we make it, we can laugh or we can cry, our choice. But it does kill me to watch a 3 year old running all over the place and climbing everything. Darn kids, wish I could walk like them LOL. For me, a walking stick or a cane is the norm these days, it is what it is but the object is to keep plugging along no matter what for as long as I can. After all, there is still treasure to be found!

Take me. I'm not fast, I'm half fast :laughing7:

Stability.
Mobility.

Both are very valuable!

Keep at it. The alternative , is to get weaker.

I understand. My exercise equipment of choice is a rowing machine. You get to sit, impossible to fall off of and it works your arms and legs as easy or hard as you want to. It isn’t going to have me running but it will help me carry things and get up if I fall down. Important when you reach the not so golden years. I guess I have watched too many relatives slide into immobility so I will fight it all the way.

That equinox will get you in the water and just walking in it helps work on balance and leg strength. No bending because the scoop does that and a long enough scoop works as a darn good cane as well. Exercise with a chance for gold isn’t half bad.

Last edited:
I feel your pain. Went detecting Sunday, a cane in one hand and the detector in the other. Had two people come up to me and ask "are you ok, do you need some help". At least we try our best to do what we like and not set in front of the computer crying about how sorry we feel about ourselves.

Much respect for you sir. Keep up the good work.

I know what your talking about!! I once tripped over a 1/2" garden hose going out to my shop. When I built my shop it was 60ft from my house, now it feels like 1.2 miles!! What keeps me going is my family, none of them know how to do the things that I do, or fix the things that I fix!! One day one of them will ask, "Where is that Old Man that used to hang out in that old shed out back? The toaster stopped working".

You may be the embodiment of my sig line. Always move forward. Best to you.

Keep it moving as best you can , a pool is great for exercise , it takes the weight off your feet , allows you to stretch and you won't fall down . Swimming is the rehab of choice for many.
see if there is a silver sneakers group in your area , your Medicare will pay for you to join this senior exercise program. they focus on balance , flexibility and strength.

my mom went there and was in great shape well into her 80s .

I guess the thing I remember is "What we don't use-we loose"
Being stationary is a quick one way ticket for many.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back