Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Ace 250
TC3X
BH Texas Pilot
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I certainly agree. My wife and I were stationed at Ft. Hood Texas from 84 - 85, did a 3 year tour in Germany and came back to Hood from 88-92. When our son joined the military in 2007, he was posted to Ft. Hood, 1st Cavalry, as a combat medic. Living in Houston, my wife and I decided to take him to his first duty station after his leave.

The memories that came flooding back was amazing for both of us. Ft. Hood has remained basically the same as it was when we first arrived in 84. Some things have changed, new buildings here and there, but mostly the same. We took him to our old stomping grounds on West Ft. Hood to show him the airfield we worked at and found one of our aircraft, a Grumman OV-1D Mohawk, 69-17007, retired in 95, was mounted on a pedestal as a memorial to the crews that worked on and flew this Surveillance aircraft.

As my wife and I were getting misty eyed, remembering all the fond memories we had together and all the friends we made over the years in the military from all over the world, the missions we flew in many countries around the world watching Ivan watch us and so on, our son breaks the silence with " So, how does it make you feel to know that a big part of your life is now a museum piece! "....

Kids say the darnedest things.....

Thank you all for your service to our great country......OohRah!

That is the Mohawk in my signature...

texasvarmit

Oct 6, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT gold, Fisher CZ5 quicksilver, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But the service never leaves you.

Occasionally, I venture back to the many bases I have visited or
stationed, where I'm greeted by an imposing security guard who looks
carefully at my identification card, hands it back and says, "Have a
good day.

Every time I go back to any Base it feels good to be called by my
previous rank, but odd to be in civilian clothes, walking among the
servicemen and servicewomen going about their duties as I once did,
many years ago.

The military is a comfort zone for anyone who has ever worn the
uniform. It's a place where you know the rules and know they are
enforced -- a place where everybody is busy, but not too busy to take
care of business.

Because there exists behind the gates of every military facility an
institutional understanding of respect, order, uniformity,
accountability and dedication that becomes part of your marrow and
never, ever leaves you.

Personally, I miss the fact that you always knew where you stood in
the military, and who you were dealing with.
That's because you could read somebody's uniform from 20 feet away
and know the score.

Service personnel wear their careers on their sleeves, so to speak..
When you approach each other, you can read their name tag, examine
their rank and, if they are in dress uniform, read their ribbons and
know where they've served.
I miss all those little things you take for granted when you're in
the ranks, like breaking starch on a set of fatigues fresh from the
laundry and standing in a perfectly straight line military formation
that looks like a mirror as it stretches to the endless horizon.

I miss the sight of troops marching in the early morning mist, the
sound of boot heels thumping in unison on the tarmac, the bark of
drill instructors and the sing-song answers from the squads as they
pass by in review.

To romanticize military service is to be far removed from its
reality, because it's very serious business -- especially in times of
war.

But I miss the salutes I'd throw at officers and the crisp returns as
we criss-crossed with a "by your leave sir".

I miss the smell of jet fuel hanging heavily on the night air and the
sound of engines roaring down runways and disappearing into the
clouds.
I even miss the hurry-up-and-wait mentality that enlisted men gripe
about constantly, a masterful invention that bonded people more than
they'll ever know or admit.

I miss people taking off their hats when they enter a building,
speaking directly and clearly to others and never showing disrespect
for rank, race, religion or gender.

Mostly, I miss being a small cog in a machine so complex it
constantly circumnavigates the Earth and so simple it feeds everyone
on time, three times a day, on the ground, in the air or at sea.

Mostly, I don't know anyone who has served who regrets it, and
doesn't feel a sense of pride when they pass through those gates and
re-enter the world they left behind with their youth.

Face it folks - regardless if you had one tour or a career, it shaped
your life.

Rat, thanks for a great post. I was one of those draftees, who did the two year active duty/4 year reserves (it wasn't JUST 2 years). And like someone here said, the military and various people who serve are changed in various ways, some folks hated the military (especially during the draft years) and others believe the military service benefited them.

I fall into the later category, the military was GOOD for me and I was good for the military. You are right, when you said you can read another soldier at a distance by their uniform and insignia. You know their name, their rank, decorations etc. You know what unit they are in and have been in.
When one gets out you miss the order, the respect, the security, the knowledge that you are a cog in a huge machine that keeps the country safe.

You were right when you say you miss all the little things, the "breaking starch" is a great example, freshly polished combat boots, thick leather laces, bloused fatigue pants on top of those black boots, a pride in the rank on ones shoulder, the respect shown to you from commanding officers who served in WWII and your own respect of them in return...I could go on.

I have a long time old friend, who was drafted about the same era as myself and he hates the military until this day....merely because he didn't click with it...and I did. We remain great friends, but just don't see our military experience the same way.

We are all a bit different and thank goodness for that, as it would be a boring world if we were all alike.

Thanks to all of you who served with me, before me and after me.

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; White's Classic 1 SL with Blue Max 8000 disc, Garrett Pro-pointer; White's Bulls eye II pin pointer;
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was a USAF Space Operations Officer (13SX) for 8 years, got a general discharge in '00 as an O-3 (depression was diagnosed in '07 as stage 4 thyroid cancer. Some things just take time to notice).

I miss the esprit de corps too. I miss belonging to a real team. My units would work, play, socialize, and explore the area together. I feel alone now. Civilians don't understand me. the closest I've come to the same feeling is being around my gf's medical friends, but alas, I'm not medical, I have little clue what they are talking about. And their eyes glaze over when I start talking rockets, satellites and radars.

Prior to College ROTC and the USAF, I was a CAP cadet in NJ for 6 years ('83-89). Those were some of the best times and friends I ever had and I miss that.

Thank you to all my military siblings, no matter when, where, how long, or what service, I salute each of you with respect and gratitude for serving our nation.

scuba1970

Sep 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nov 4th will mark my 25th year in Army. I've loved my time in and can relate to all these posts. The esprit de corp is what makes this job worth it all. Will retire here in 2016. So ready but will miss I kniw

DixieLandMan

Sep 18, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202, White's MXT, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll have 17 years in on Halloween. I can't think of not doing it. I consider it an honor to serve.

davew

Tenderfoot
May 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it is not just the ones who have served, but us kids that lived that life too.
I have gone back to the bases and said I am home.

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; White's Classic 1 SL with Blue Max 8000 disc, Garrett Pro-pointer; White's Bulls eye II pin pointer;
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely Davew! Depend ants sacrifice too, and I thank you too!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I still use the saying " hurry up and wait".

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
My 3 years, 6 months, 18 days, and 22 hours made me to be absolutely defiant to anything government.

But then I grew up over the years. I do understand now and do feel rather homesick. Can't define, and can't describe the feeling. But I do realize the enormous impact of my service, and it continues today and will to the day I pass.

It changed my life forever.

Lost2Much

Apr 29, 2011
South Pa.
Detector(s) used
MXT XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
After Nam, I still had to do 16 months at Fort Hood, which at the time was called "The Hell Hole of the Army". Anyways, I was 19 and turned 29. The whole 3 years was, and I ask all of you vets: Was it the best time of your life?" I have seen, done a lot of things, met all kinds & types of people, their lifestyle and their food. Darn right, it was the best time of my life because I was only 21 years old, compare all that to any 21 year old kid, today, who still lives with Daddy and who is afraid to get out of his own State and to see that there is 'another State' out there.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My 3 years, 6 months, 18 days, and 22 hours made me to be absolutely defiant to anything government.

But then I grew up over the years. I do understand now and do feel rather homesick. Can't define, and can't describe the feeling. But I do realize the enormous impact of my service, and it continues today and will to the day I pass.

It changed my life forever.

I can relate completely, Deep. I went into the service thinking this was one place that you'd be judged and promoted on your merits and actions. I discovered it was as political as ANY job in civilian life. I jumped at the chance for an early out when they were downsizing, BUT I would do it all over again and probably a little differently. How else could a kid travel around the world and see things he'd never get the chance otherwise? I tell all kids that are thinking about joining that if they really think it is for them, it probably will be good for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Military makes you grow up and teaches you to be self reliant.

Personally I believe ever single male who is in good health should be required to serve minimum 3 years in military or 4 years in some kind of community service and that includes my own son... it is a debt we owe this country.

I went in USAF in 1967, got out in 1971....

3%

Last edited:

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I was one of those who hated the military. As someone stated, I simply didn't click.

But, I am not going to say nothing good came out of my two years (64 - 66). As someone else commented, being forced to travel places no one else in my family had ever traveled, changed my view of the planet.

Before Army, traveling meant mostly going to a town a few miles away. Now, traveling has included at least 38 states, touching the Arctic Ocean at Prudhoe Bay, and retiring in the Central Highlands of Mexico, in a place that local oral tradition says Moctezuma's treasure is buried.

My son lived 2 years in the United Arab Emirates. My Aztec wife and daughter have been to Hawaii; London; Paris; Germany; Austria. Daughter also to Australia.

So, military duty expanded my personal world and that of my family. Nothing no matter how negative can seldom be said to be valueless.

donegan

Greenie
Jan 13, 2014
I tried to get in the service when i was 19 but they said NO cause of court stuff, i would of loved the experience but guess its different times, not sure yall would make it as a youngster now days worlds alittle different, but still i would like to thank all the men and women who have served

rwilder

Apr 21, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
21 yrs in Navy, retired in '82 and still working as DOD Navy contractor.

Unclebuck257

Aug 31, 2013
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet and this forum rwilder and thank you for your service.

My father was a retired Army full bird and I went into the Air Force when I was just 17, after graduating HS a year early. After four years active duty, from 63-67, I got out at the age of 21 years old. I was absolutely amazed when I got out, just how much my father had learned in those four years while I was on active duty!! LMBO!!

I wouldn't trade those four years active duty for anything because, as has been said already in this thread, all that I learned about life generally and the overall values I learned about responsibilty etc. have stayed with me throughout my life until now. I'll admit completely that I grew up while in the service and I'm proud to say that. Whether you "liked" your time in the service or not, volunteered or were drafted, there is no doubt that we are all members of a very unique, small, group of people in this country, a group of comrades and we will forever have a bond through eternity together. Corny? Maybe, but think about it...it's true!!

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I enjoyed the comment about how much your father learned while you were in the military.

However, not all parents are clever and wise. Most of my adult life has been spent unlearning what my parents taught me. Racism; hatred for your fellow man; never help anyone; and lots more.

My life is full now, in another totally different culture. One of the smartest things I ever did was essentially separate myself from my natural born family, and no regrets.

Unclebuck257

Aug 31, 2013
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoyed the comment about how much your father learned while you were in the military.

However, not all parents are clever and wise. Most of my adult life has been spent unlearning what my parents taught me. Racism; hatred for your fellow man; never help anyone; and lots more.

My life is full now, in another totally different culture. One of the smartest things I ever did was essentially separate myself from my natural born family, and no regrets.

Sorry to hear that about your family and glad you got yourself out of that situation and to where you are now. Mine was just the opposite for sure. My Dad would help anyone at anytime he could and taught my brother and me the same thing. He didn't care who you were or what color you were, just what kind of person you were. The older I got, the more I realized how blessed I was to have the upbringing I did.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
My dad's brother was more like your dad. I have often wondered, as silly a conjecture as it is, how different my life would have been had I been part of my uncle's family.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread