uniform. It's a place where you know the rules and know they are
enforced -- a place where everybody is busy, but not too busy to take
care of business.

Because there exists behind the gates of every military facility an
institutional understanding of respect, order, uniformity,
accountability and dedication that becomes part of your marrow and
never, ever leaves you.

Personally, I miss the fact that you always knew where you stood in
the military, and who you were dealing with.
That's because you could read somebody's uniform from 20 feet away
and know the score.

Service personnel wear their careers on their sleeves, so to speak..
When you approach each other, you can read their name tag, examine
their rank and, if they are in dress uniform, read their ribbons and
know where they've served.
I miss all those little things you take for granted when you're in
the ranks, like breaking starch on a set of fatigues fresh from the
laundry and standing in a perfectly straight line military formation
that looks like a mirror as it stretches to the endless horizon.

I miss the sight of troops marching in the early morning mist, the
sound of boot heels thumping in unison on the tarmac, the bark of
drill instructors and the sing-song answers from the squads as they
pass by in review.

To romanticize military service is to be far removed from its
reality, because it's very serious business -- especially in times of
war.

But I miss the salutes I'd throw at officers and the crisp returns as
we criss-crossed with a "by your leave sir".

I miss the smell of jet fuel hanging heavily on the night air and the
sound of engines roaring down runways and disappearing into the
clouds.
I even miss the hurry-up-and-wait mentality that enlisted men gripe
about constantly, a masterful invention that bonded people more than
they'll ever know or admit.

I miss people taking off their hats when they enter a building,
speaking directly and clearly to others and never showing disrespect
for rank, race, religion or gender.

Mostly, I miss being a small cog in a machine so complex it
constantly circumnavigates the Earth and so simple it feeds everyone
on time, three times a day, on the ground, in the air or at sea.

Mostly, I don't know anyone who has served who regrets it, and
doesn't feel a sense of pride when they pass through those gates and
re-enter the world they left behind with their youth.

Face it folks - regardless if you had one tour or a career, it shaped
your life.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya River Rat! I been in 21 years and it doesn't seem that long ago I was in Basic. I miss my early years in the Army that is for sure. Things have changed a great deal and I am still "OLD ARMY"!

I DO NOT like today's Army as things have changed drastically!! >:( Like taking away the discipline for those that need it bad in basic :help:, PT is a joke and always had been :icon_scratch:, (they are coming out with a new one this year that is supposed to be better suited for combat roles), units don't ruck march anymore or do obstacle courses, because someone may get injured or they don't have a medic on stand by! :dontknow: Don't get to shoot off all kinds of ammo during weapons ranges, because the unit doesn't have the money to spend for enough ammo to use! :icon_scratch: Going to the "Field today for 2-3 weeks" includes working from 6am-1700 everyday out at the range, or field and going back to the hotel at night! ??? Yeah, that is right hotel!!! :icon_scratch: What happened to staying out in the field in tents, etc? :dontknow: No more healthy Army chow cooked by Army cooks, everything is catered crap that would starve a cock roach or make a belly goat puke!

Yeah there is way more "TODAYS NEW ARMY" info I could put out, but I don't think T-Net has enough space for me to write it all!

Hogman

Mar 14, 2011
I love to go back and look around. I have returned 20 years later and not recognize anything.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hold a 100% disabled card, service connected. Haven't tried it out yet at any base or camp yet. I think you've talked me into trying. Good read! TTC

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You absolutely couldn't have said it better RR, the things that one couldn't comprehend being missed while serving, those are the things held closest. Being and working with fellow service members cannot be compared to a civilian gig, jmho.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good afternoon. I served in the Naval air during WW-2 as a bombsight mech and master horizontal bombardier..

After, when I took my oral examination for USAF Pilot flight training, one of the Generals point blank asked me "Why do you want to join the USAF"?

I was stopped for a bit, then simply answered " frankly Sir, I have no idea, except that it seems like returning home". He smiled, as did the other members of the board, so it must have been the correct answer, as I went on for flight training..

Don Jose de La Mancha

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can take the boy outta the Army, but you can never take the Army outta the boy. Kinda sums me up after 20 years in the Combat Engineers.

TerryC, I hold a retired DD Form 2, and I'm SC disabled. We use the medical facility, commissary and PX. It's like coming home when I drive through the gate check point. I say go for it. You might be surprised how it makes you feel.
Robin

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
19 years and counting. One deployment behind me, the in front of me just vanished. I can't wait to get the hell out of here. When this contract ends in 2014, I'm gonna be one happy fellow!

Confederate Sailor

Aug 9, 2013
Athens, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I retired from the Navy only last July. Albeit 5 years early due to "right-sizing" and the Temporary Early Retirement Act. I was one of very few of the 3,000 sailors that were ousted to have at least 15 years of service in order to qualify for retirement status. I still have dreams of being back on the USS Enterprise CVN-65 going through the daily grind and monotony with my shipmates.

I go to Columbus AFB here in MS as my primary care clinic. Because of my age (then 33) military demeanor, walk, talk and haircut I received a dressing down from two AF Master Sergeants for having a goatee on base. I popped tall and took my butt chewing because there were junior airmen around and didn't want to correct them in public. In private I showed them my retired ID and thanked them for making me feel "at home" once again.

AT1(AW/SW) USN (Ret.)

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I finally used my disabled id card. I could not use the BX at the Cape Canaveral AFS as it is a restricted facility... but I did receive a salute and thank you from the enlisted guard at the gate. TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But the service never leaves you.

Occasionally, I venture back to the many bases I have visited or
stationed, where I'm greeted by an imposing security guard who looks
carefully at my identification card, hands it back and says, "Have a
good day.

Every time I go back to any Base it feels good to be called by my
previous rank, but odd to be in civilian clothes, walking among the
servicemen and servicewomen going about their duties as I once did,
many years ago.

The military is a comfort zone for anyone who has ever worn the
uniform. It's a place where you know the rules and know they are
enforced -- a place where everybody is busy, but not too busy to take
care of business.

Because there exists behind the gates of every military facility an
institutional understanding of respect, order, uniformity,
accountability and dedication that becomes part of your marrow and
never, ever leaves you.

Personally, I miss the fact that you always knew where you stood in
the military, and who you were dealing with.
That's because you could read somebody's uniform from 20 feet away
and know the score.

Service personnel wear their careers on their sleeves, so to speak..
When you approach each other, you can read their name tag, examine
their rank and, if they are in dress uniform, read their ribbons and
know where they've served.
I miss all those little things you take for granted when you're in
the ranks, like breaking starch on a set of fatigues fresh from the
laundry and standing in a perfectly straight line military formation
that looks like a mirror as it stretches to the endless horizon.

I miss the sight of troops marching in the early morning mist, the
sound of boot heels thumping in unison on the tarmac, the bark of
drill instructors and the sing-song answers from the squads as they
pass by in review.

To romanticize military service is to be far removed from its
reality, because it's very serious business -- especially in times of
war.

But I miss the salutes I'd throw at officers and the crisp returns as
we criss-crossed with a "by your leave sir".

I miss the smell of jet fuel hanging heavily on the night air and the
sound of engines roaring down runways and disappearing into the
clouds.
I even miss the hurry-up-and-wait mentality that enlisted men gripe
about constantly, a masterful invention that bonded people more than
they'll ever know or admit.

I miss people taking off their hats when they enter a building,
speaking directly and clearly to others and never showing disrespect
for rank, race, religion or gender.

Mostly, I miss being a small cog in a machine so complex it
constantly circumnavigates the Earth and so simple it feeds everyone
on time, three times a day, on the ground, in the air or at sea.

Mostly, I don't know anyone who has served who regrets it, and
doesn't feel a sense of pride when they pass through those gates and
re-enter the world they left behind with their youth.

Face it folks - regardless if you had one tour or a career, it shaped
your life.
River Rat, My hat goes off to you and ALL those that put in a career stay. Laying it on the line for the protection of the civilians. Ready to give it all if required to! Our nation's best trained and ready to go bunch.... anywhere in the world. you are the one other countries FEAR! Thank you , Judie. Terry

Last edited:

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I enjoy reading postings about the military life written by those who felt it was a home. I was in 1964-66 and got an honorable discharge. I mean no disrespect for those who enjoyed military life.

But, I never felt at home in the Army. I have memories, in some cases, interesting memories. But, I always felt like an outsider. I never felt esprit de corps. I never felt like part of a team. I have assumed it is a function of myself, not the Army. We are all different, in my opinion. And, I believe I was just not cut out for military duty. I have always been a non-conformist, and non-conformists are not going to enjoy the military discipline.

I spent hundreds of hours trying to spit-shine my boots and never once satisfied myself. Something just didn't click, and that's the way my service was in general. I just didn't click.

I realize my two years would have been much more positive if I had "clicked" as many men did.

My memories of my service were very negative until the Welcome Back Vietnam Vets parade in Des Moines, Iowa. must have been in the 80's. I pulled my son out of school and we went down there. I never went overseas, but they asked all vets to show up in support. My son griped every inch of the way to Des Moines, "Why are we going? This is dumb." After seeing the men, including the MOH men, he griped all the way home, "When do we go back?" Heh, heh.

Some of the PTSD guys were there on advice of their counselors. It was for me a somewhat emotional day. What I got out of it was as poorly as I adapted to the military and as little as I contributed compared to the combat vets, IT WAS MY WAR, TOO. That is how the military is. Even if you don't feel at home, if you do what you are assigned to do, it is your war as well. IMO.

So, a lot of the feeling of having wasted two years of my life were gone after the parade. And, I felt a lot more empathy for the men who served in horrors while I lounged around the Gray Air Base Crash Rescue quarters.

Sorry, maybe this does not belong here, but I felt like writing it so I did.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoy reading postings about the military life written by those who felt it was a home. I was in 1964-66 and got an honorable discharge. I mean no disrespect for those who enjoyed military life.

But, I never felt at home in the Army. I have memories, in some cases, interesting memories. But, I always felt like an outsider. I never felt esprit de corps. I never felt like part of a team. I have assumed it is a function of myself, not the Army. We are all different, in my opinion. And, I believe I was just not cut out for military duty. I have always been a non-conformist, and non-conformists are not going to enjoy the military discipline.

I spent hundreds of hours trying to spit-shine my boots and never once satisfied myself. Something just didn't click, and that's the way my service was in general. I just didn't click.

I realize my two years would have been much more positive if I had "clicked" as many men did.

My memories of my service were very negative until the Welcome Back Vietnam Vets parade in Des Moines, Iowa. must have been in the 80's. I pulled my son out of school and we went down there. I never went overseas, but they asked all vets to show up in support. My son griped every inch of the way to Des Moines, "Why are we going? This is dumb." After seeing the men, including the MOH men, he griped all the way home, "When do we go back?" Heh, heh.

Some of the PTSD guys were there on advice of their counselors. It was for me a somewhat emotional day. What I got out of it was as poorly as I adapted to the military and as little as I contributed compared to the combat vets, IT WAS MY WAR, TOO. That is how the military is. Even if you don't feel at home, if you do what you are assigned to do, it is your war as well. IMO.

So, a lot of the feeling of having wasted two years of my life were gone after the parade. And, I felt a lot more empathy for the men who served in horrors while I lounged around the Gray Air Base Crash Rescue quarters.

Hey Piegrande, feelings are neither right nor wrong, thanks for your post. You said "Gray Air Base", is that Gray Army Airfield @ Fort Lewis, WA?

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Everyone is different but you didn't have to go. Thanks for your service to your country.

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
usaandthem...
incorrect...notice the two year term of service...that is a draftee. yes, he did have to go.

unlike today, the military was a combined service of enlisted and conscripted personnel.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
usaandthem...
incorrect...notice the two year term of service...that is a draftee. yes, he did have to go.

unlike today, the military was a combined service of enlisted and conscripted personnel.

I beg to differ but Canada was full of people that didn't go. I know all about terms of service and such. I've been around the military since 1956.

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am retired active duty also, and yes, it is nice to visit the various bases/posts as we travel around.........love to shop at the comissary because of the good prices and wish I had one closer to me here.......

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just spent a little over 19 years in the Army. Recently was discharged due to an injury I received in the 90s'. I just kind of "sucked it up" all those years, but it lead to additional problems with my back and such. I am still debating about going back to the VA and getting my injuries re-looked at, but reality sinks in when I have met amputees and Soldiers that have been dealing with injuries for decades. I still have the old school mentality of just dealing with it from my Active duty days. I have spent the majority of my career in the National Guard. I didn't feel old school until the last few years with all the changes and the newest generation coming up and dealing with the differences in values. I have gotten disillusioned the last couple of years and especially since I am a Federal employee and I see NCOs' not taking care of lower enlisted Soldiers everyday and Officers being so career and ego minded that they leave NCOs out to hang or in the dark concerning the mission. I have a problem when "leaders" don't step up because of personal discomfort. I tell my Soldiers to READ THE NCO CREED and understand it.

It is a Me-Me complex that I see all around me. Perhaps it has always been around and I have just now been noticing it, or maybe I am just part of the problem also. Maybe it was for me from coming from combat arms active duty during my "formation years" and then going to a National Guard unit. In well over a decade of National Guard service, I just have not felt the pride like I did before and it is perpetuated by the selfish career minded attitude that I have been seeing all around me. When I was in boot camp my DI asked each of us out loud why we joined and I remember only a handful including myself mentioned "just to serve". I have always felt this way and everything else took second. When I started to feel like I was becoming more selfish, I knew that I needed to leave. Make way for someone else to move up. I have no ill feelings about not receiving a pat on the back-quite literally because I feel that my service was my reward.

Last edited:

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for your service. Now. At ease. Enjoy retirement.

Thank you. Your right. Its time to move on and let the past be the past. I am grateful for what the military has done for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread