Concealing Firearms While Detecting

chopperdog

May 18, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO / Minelab X-Terra 705 /Minelab 505 / XP Deus / Makro Racer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I carry when hunting in the 'hood', (houses about to be razed), I carry concealed, not looking for trouble, and not going to take any. --- I DO NOT carry, (leave in truck), in schoolyards, and other places where not appropriate. As they say, better to be judged by 12, than carried by six. HH & Good Luck

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey any non crazy guy can have a bad day and go on a rampage, stop saying the mentally ill crap, I'm nucking futs as they come, yet I'm not dangerous.
Anybody can pull a trigger, really getting sick and tired of people saying only crazy people kill..blah blah..get a life!

Mike

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And exactly how do you propose to keep guns out of the hands of "crazy people"?

Me?

It's your problem too.

And your responsibility to work on it along with the rest of us.

I think this covers Mike's comment too.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi from Montana.

I don't own a firearm but have researched the gun laws in Montana. From what I have found, a citizen may open carry in town and conceal carry without a permit outside the city. There is a lot of open country here, and lots of bears so these laws make sense for our state. I am a firm believer in the second amendment and for now so are the majority of Montanans. Even with these laws, gun violence is very low here.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll tell this because I don't think anyone on the forum knows me. Even if they did, I don't guess it would matter. It was asked/stated about how many could/would pull the trigger if they thought their life was threatened. I had the occasion to find out several years ago. I lived in a community between two cities; not inside a city. My son and a couple of his friends had been using a CO2 bb pistol that I got on a trade a few years before. That night I went to bed before my wife did. About 10:30 p.m., she woke me about some cats getting into a bag of garbage on the back porch. It had been set on the porch instead of into the garbage can at the bottom of the steps. I pulled on my jeans, stuck the bb pistol into my waistband, slipped on my shoes, and went out the back door. The cats were already gone. I picked up the bag, went down the steps (I believe there were 15 steps), and put the bag into the trashcan. Just as I reached the back door, my wife opened the door and said that it sounded to her like a .22 gun was being shot at the other end of the house. I walked to the back of the yard so as to be in shadow, and went to the other end of the house. As I approached the corner of the house, it appeared that someone had fired a shot at me. I saw the 'flash' and heard the 'pop'. I saw someone running away and shot three times at the running figure. It was too dark to see who it was. Just as I shot the 3rd time, I realized that I was using a bb gun! I prepared to throw it or hit the attacker with it if necessary. But then I heard someone yell, "Ow, he shot me with the bb gun!"; and I realized it was the neighbor boy that had been playing with my son earlier. He had stuck a firecracker into a little hole in a small pipe at the end of the house and lit the fuse. I called his house and told the grandmother that answered the phone, what had happened. She said that it served him right to be out that late and doing something like that. A little later his step-dad called and said that he would be at my house in a few minutes and was going to tear off my arm and beat me to death with it. When he started cussing really bad, I hung up. He called back 3 times in about 6 or 7 minutes time threatening me. I called the constable. He said that the man was always causing trouble and that I had better be on alert for him showing up at my door. He said that he would get there as quickly as he could, but since he was several miles away and the neighbor was only about a quarter mile away, to watch out. So I loaded up the 12 gauge pump and sat on the couch across from the front door just in case he did try to break it down. The constable called me after he talked with the guy and said he thought it would be ok. He also told me that I should go to the courthouse the next day and make a statement as to what happened because a minor had been injured. I went to the courthouse the next day and made a statement and signed it for one of the sheriff's deputies. I asked him if the boy was ok and if I might need a lawyer. He said that the boy was hit by all 3 of the bbs, that one had lodged about 3/8" deep into his hip and the other 2 had lodged about 1/4" deep into his thigh. The bbs were extracted in the emergency room at the hospital. He said that I wouldn't be needing a lawyer, that the boy had admitted what had happened. He was using the firecrackers just outside my son's window just for fun, to wake him up if he was asleep. He said that the everyone should just be glad that I had a bb gun in my hand instead of a .38!!

topdogintampa

Apr 19, 2014
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Teknetics Gamma 6000, Treasure Com TC3X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
2 beach shootings on Memorial day...One here at Clearwater Beach and another at Myrtle Beach. Looks like you have to carry even at the beach now...Jeesh!

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Me?

It's your problem too.

And your responsibility to work on it along with the rest of us.

My solution is less restrictive gun laws which would allow more law abiding citizens to protect themselves against the "crazy people" you speak of.

What's your solution?

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My solution is less restrictive gun laws which would allow more law abiding citizens to protect themselves against the "crazy people" you speak of.

What's your solution?

Fail.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen please keep all politics out of thread.

Thread is about carrying concealed while detecting, it is not about any of the arguements concerning gun control pro or con...

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

coinbug

Jul 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher Goldbug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't own a firearm but have researched the gun laws in Montana. From what I have found, a citizen may open carry in town and conceal carry without a permit outside the city. There is a lot of open country here, and lots of bears so these laws make sense for our state. I am a firm believer in the second amendment and for now so are the majority of Montanans. Even with these laws, gun violence is very low here.

That sounds right to me, although it's been a while since I checked. Just be careful that if you head north to Canada, you leave your guns behind. Mandatory 3 years in prison for bringing a handgun into Canada if the Crown proceeds by indictment (which they've done as a matter of policy); no excuses - doesn't matter whether you're a criminal or just a guy that forgot he had a .45 hidden in his camper, or a gal with a mousegun in her purse.

Last edited:

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
If you carry in the states and you go to Canada, would you feel safe without your gun? Just wondering.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I've always got mine. It's small, compact, very concealable and lightweight. I never leave home without it, even when detecting. (except in the surf)

Would I like to not have to carry it... you bet.

I'll happily leave mine at home as soon as I can be assured that none of the bad guys have their guns anymore.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
to carry or not to carry somesort of protection is our right! if you've ever had a %$#@@%$ pull a gun or a knife on you and tried to rob you then I don't need to explain anymore and if you haven't and still argue about people legally carring open or concelled protection then I cant explain it to you! just wait until some jerk tries to rob/rape/kill you and or your family then youll know what I mean!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I go to Canada with out one. A buddy had a holster in his truck and did not call it a fishing rod holder. Boy was that truck searched.
As to feeling safe? that,s not so much the reason to carry as putting a bullet in an antagonist bent on ones destruction.Carrying does not make one safe from everything.
Did not bother the bears to be sure though wouldn,t if armed and fishing either.. One trip there the authorities were looking for the guy who was cutting someone up and mailing pieces to different places. While not feeling unsafe about it someone was I imagine.

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I carry everyday, regardless of my location or activity, when it's legal to do so, of course.

Urban areas(2-legged threats) I conceal carry this at a minimum...

642_zps2d5730cb.jpg

Rural areas, hiking, etc,(2 or 4-legged threats) I open carry this...

GP100_zps1be96ebd.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread