Metal Detecting Pennsylvania State Parks/Gamelands

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not from the NE but, some of the state parks in Western Pa allow MD'ing at certain places like beach only. I think they post those rules on their websites. So st parks require you to check with the ranger's office for rules and regs.

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
State game lands are pretty much off limits. I emailed the Game Commission a few weeks ago, and they replied saying that you can metal detect, buy you can't dig any form of a hole and can't remove anything from the game lands other than animals, berries, and mushrooms.

OP
OP
Ian Gerhard

Ian Gerhard

Jan 21, 2013
Thank you for the quick response, I emailed DCNR to see what they have to say about it. I don't see why its such a big deal, if i can go to a local park and detect ( responsibly with good ethics and etiquette) then why not on state property? Maybe I ask to much? lol

HH!

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for the quick response, I emailed DCNR to see what they have to say about it. I don't see why its such a big deal, if i can go to a local park and detect ( responsibly with good ethics and etiquette) then why not on state property? Maybe I ask to much? lol

HH!
I can understand to some point, they don't want people going on the lands, digging big holes, and then not filling them or leaving the garbage on the surface. Bad detectorists ruin it for the good ones. I had an awesome spot to hunt in the game lands for coins, where there was once a toll booth on an old turnpike, but I can't go there. Oh well.

OP
OP
Ian Gerhard

Ian Gerhard

Jan 21, 2013
I can understand to some point, they don't want people going on the lands, digging big holes, and then not filling them or leaving the garbage on the surface. Bad detectorists ruin it for the good ones. I had an awesome spot to hunt in the game lands for coins, where there was once a toll booth on an old turnpike, but I can't go there. Oh well.

Thats a shame, I take good care of the spots I can hunt. I spent most of my childhood hunting and fishing. The places I've been lucky enough to travel or sit became an extension of my life. I treated all these places like they were my own back yard. Many times I come out of the woods with nothing but a bag of trash (not metal, straight up plastic bottles and bags) not because I wanted them, because I know how much of a difference it makes. I got to thinking about a way to ensure proper detecting but I didnt want to give anyone a new lead on controlling the hobby. I think if someones caught leaving craters or unwanted refuse, they should be removed from the property. If someones hunting game and they do it wrong or illegally, they go after the person at fault. Do they close down the area to hunting?!NOPE!!!!! I wonder why this is different for metal detecting?

There has got to be a way

OP
OP
Ian Gerhard

Ian Gerhard

Jan 21, 2013
Maybe metal detecting clubs should offer a class on proper techniques? Maybe issue a card that could get us in to places a rookie shouldn't dig? Just a thought

OP
OP
Ian Gerhard

Ian Gerhard

Jan 21, 2013
Not from the NE but, some of the state parks in Western Pa allow MD'ing at certain places like beach only. I think they post those rules on their websites. So st parks require you to check with the ranger's office for rules and regs.

I did check the website, it said about checking the ranger station. I would have no problem doing so but heres my issue, there is rarely anyone in the office. The park I want to detect is used heavily in the spring through the fall for river rafting trips. I would not want to interfere with anyones good time and would enjoy detecting it in the off season. Do they grant written permission in case no one is there?

OP
OP
Ian Gerhard

Ian Gerhard

Jan 21, 2013
State game lands are pretty much off limits. I emailed the Game Commission a few weeks ago, and they replied saying that you can metal detect, buy you can't dig any form of a hole and can't remove anything from the game lands other than animals, berries, and mushrooms.

I checked up on the website and they said shovels are not allowed but use of screw drivers and ice picks are ok? How can one not dig but be allowed probing tools? I also heard that the age of the find determines whether or not you get to keep it, 100 years or older its theirs. When I get a reply from DCNR I will post it for all.

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I checked up on the website and they said shovels are not allowed but use of screw drivers and ice picks are ok? How can one not dig but be allowed probing tools? I also heard that the age of the find determines whether or not you get to keep it, 100 years or older its theirs. When I get a reply from DCNR I will post it for all.

Probe-only rules are better than nothing. There's a county park near me that requires a $20 permit to MD, but allows surface recovery only. As for the age of the find, who is supposed to determine age if it's not a coin that's clearly discernible? PA commonwealth laws can be frustrating. Definitely keep us posted.

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Several regulations regarding the use of State Game Lands prevent the removal of any historical and archeological artifacts, or any other objects other than fish and wildlife lawfully taken, or mushrooms and berries. Removal of other items is strictly prohibited. See the regs below. You may use your metal detector on SGL, you may not dig nor remove anything.
Thank you for asking.

§ 135.2. Unlawful actions.
In addition to the prohibitions in the act on lands, waters or buildings under Commission ownership, lease or jurisdiction, it is unlawful, except with the permission of the person in charge of the lands, to:
(5) Injure, destroy or cause damage to property-real, personal or mixed.
(6) Remove or attempt to remove any manmade or natural object except wildlife and fish lawfully taken during the open season. Objects which may not be removed include animals, rocks, minerals, sand and historical or archaeological artifacts.

§ 135.41. State game lands.
(a) Restrictions limited. The following exceptions to § 135.2 (relating to unlawful actions) pertain to lands and waters designated as State game lands:
(1) Mushrooms and fruits of berry-producing plants may be picked.

(c) Additional prohibitions. In addition to the prohibitions contained in the act pertaining to State game lands and § 135.2, except with the written permission of the Director, it is unlawful to:
(17) Engage in an activity or event involving more than ten persons, which may conflict with the intended purposes or uses as defined in section 722 of the act (relating to use of property), or poses a potential environmental or safety problem.
(18) Sell, distribute, deliver, service, guide or rent any equipment, material or commodity or otherwise transact or engage in any commercial activity. Commercial activity is any activity in which a person directly or indirectly accepts consideration of value as compensation for the provision of goods or services, including transportation.
(19) Use State game lands for any personal, organizational or commercial purpose other than the intended use as defined in section 722 of the act.
(20) Operate under authority of a contract, lease, agreement or permit and fail to abide by the terms and conditions contained in the contract, lease, agreement or permit.
(21) Except on Sundays, be present on State game lands from November 15 through December 15 inclusive when not engaged in lawful hunting or trapping and fail to wear a minimum of 250 square inches of daylight fluorescent orange-colored material on the head, chest and back combined or, in lieu thereof, a hat of the same colored material. The material shall be worn so it is visible in a 360° arc. Persons using shooting ranges are exempted from this requirement.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2013 8:56 AM
To: GM, Comments
Subject: Metal Detecting

Hello,

I was just wondering if metal detecting in state game lands is legal? The game lands I am looking at specifically is Game Lands 93. If it is legal, what times, digging tools, etc. are allowed.

Thank you
Elijah Henry

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know the truth about hunting these areas? Anyone with experience in Northeast PA?

The Truth State Parks Yes With Permit from the Park Office.

State game Lands No

Last edited:

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ian, You are guilty if you removed the trash from State Game Lands. It's illegal to remove man made item. I've always thought that was a dumb law. If some one wants to clean up trash on those lands, you can't do it. Several years ago, a friend of mine picked up an apple off the ground on state land just as a game protector drove by. He was told to drop the apple as it's illegal to remove them.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I logged some state game lands a few years ago and I asked the forestor about MDing some old foundations. He said go for it so I did, ddnt have a problem. There is so many acres of game lands 9 chances outta 10 u would never see someone out there anyway.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ian, You are guilty if you removed the trash from State Game Lands. It's illegal to remove man made item. I've always thought that was a dumb law. If some one wants to clean up trash on those lands, you can't do it. Several years ago, a friend of mine picked up an apple off the ground on state land just as a game protector drove by. He was told to drop the apple as it's illegal to remove them.

Yes I'm not 100% sure if it was
Game Land or Federal land but in the late 70's or early 80's
there was an article in one of the magazines where people who picked up a pile of trash along
a forest road were arrested .

dholland02

user-online.png
I logged some state game lands a few years ago and I asked the forestor about MDing some old foundations. He said go for it so I did, ddnt have a problem. There is so many acres of game lands 9 chances outta 10 u would never see someone out there anyway.

and yes there are loopholes , But Best not to mention them too often,
less they get closed through Executive order 8-)

as is I think all new ocifers are given a book of laws, a test like a drivers test,
and a Badge on a photo I.D. with the hopes they will interpret the laws to make
money for the game commission, through arrests & fines.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

dholland02, as your example shows .... the answer a person gets, depends a lot on whimsical moods, interpretations, and whims of whomever you're asking. In other words, perhaps you got a "go ahead" from one person, but be assured that the next person you asked, could have morphed something like "don't disturb the earthworms" and told you "no".

That's why I chuckle when I read on forums of someone who goes into city hall wherever he lives, and gets a "yes" from the counter clerk to hunt the city park or sandbox or beach or school or whatever. Then the md'r proudly holds that up as "proof positive" that it was "good that he asked". But to me, that merely means he was lucky and got such an answer. Because sure as h*ck, the next person could go in and ask desk clerk #2 on another shift, and THEIR answer can be "no".

I've actually heard of that happening before in a certain city! And then you had these two md'rs looking at each other trying to figure out "who was the lawbreaker and who wasn't". Ie.: the person who'd been told "no" had seen the other person in the park detecting carefree. So he went to ask him "Hey, I thought detecting was illegal here?" Doh! And you can bet if the two men had gone back to city hall to try to "iron this out" and "get it clarified", guess what would happen? No doubt the "pressing issue" would have to go before the arborist, the city archie, the flower committee chairperson, and the mayor, in order to issue a new rule of "no detecting". And the whole friggin time, I bet no one ever cared, or would have noticed (as long as any md'rs weren't being a nuisance or sticking out).

DirtDodger

Mar 13, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lets start with first there are state game lands, state forests, and state parks. They are not governed by the same regs.

PA State Game lands -
http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/058/chapter135/chap135toc.html

it doesn't say any thing about metal detectors...

There is however this -

(6) Remove or attempt to remove any manmade or natural object except wildlife and fish lawfully taken. Objects
which may not be removed include animals, rocks, minerals, sand and historical or archaeological artifacts.

To be honest this was not put in there to limit metal detectors... it was to stop people from looting the trees, rocks sand and even stones from old foundations and cemeteries (tombstones).

*** This could be the where the local officials get the interpretation.
Some are more strict than others and some don't like detectors....

State Forest Regulations:
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/groups/public/documents/document/D_001497.pdf

? it says you can Geocaching on the state site, amoung other actives that would include 'distrubing' soil, such as observe proper sanitary waste disposal by burying waste 3-4 inches deep. Not to mention- "State Forest land is host to an almost endless list of other recreational uses. These include astronomy, dog sledding, gold panning". Which would include removing the gold you would find...:dontknow: I guess...

There is nothing about diggin or anything about metal detecting.

States Parks:
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/groups/public/documents/document/d_001192.pdf

It has no mention of metal detecting; only thing it mentions is "Removing or distrubing an historical or archeological artifact or relic" .... hardly could means coins or recently lost jewely for there is nothing historical or archological about them.

With that said; I have hunted PA state parks and game lands and forests since 1970....

I never have been ask to leave or told it was illegal. In fact the game land just south of Williamsport (#252) where there once a small village of Alvira, I have hunted many many times. In fact I was given some info on the place by the local personnel. Although, I never found many coins I still stop now and then.

I will admit to being asked to leave the State Capital Grounds In Harrisburg. I was a teenager at the time... :laughing7: many pennies not much silver... so I wasn't to sad about it...

Here is my take –
I always try to hunt these places when use by others is a minimum. I never ask I just began, if they have an issue they will let you know.

If I were asked to leave, I WOULD.

I might ask for reference so I may notify other THers would regulation or law prohibits the use. They may give the one above.
(Depending on my take of the person's demeanor)

I may also remind the individual the THers pay taxes too, buy goods from local stores and support good practices of parks and lands and that we have less of an impact than many other users. Plus we pickup and remove trash and are always willing to help add in recover if ask...

Also, for me I only hunt for coins. Relics etc... I have no interest in so the historical or archaeological artifacts has no impact on my
detecting.

One final note: There are State historical areas/sites that are off limits to all detecting.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread