What's new

1786 Vermontensium Copper

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2008
Messages
1,103
Reaction score
17
Golden Thread
0
Location
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been hitting a new, large site lately that has seen lots of different use over the last 300+ years, and holds lots of promise,
but so far has only delivered some modern silver and a smooth copper.
Last night I was wandering around a bit, searching for a hot spot, not finding much. Got a nice quarter/large copper reading in what
might be an old road grade, cut a plug, and pulled out a 1970 quarter. Sweet! Walked ten feet, got the same signal, and out popped this
1786 Vermontesium state copper, my second Vermont copper here in NY, and my first for the type. Looks like there was some
decent detail left when it was dropped, but, alas, the upstate NY soil is rarely kind to copper.
Also managed a two-part Horstmann eagle button.
 

Attachments

  • P1010015.webp
    P1010015.webp
    256.8 KB · Views: 553
  • img024-1.webp
    img024-1.webp
    58 KB · Views: 525
  • img025-1.webp
    img025-1.webp
    66.2 KB · Views: 534
  • P1010016.webp
    P1010016.webp
    49.3 KB · Views: 532
Upvote 0
Not bad for that age!
Date & images intact.. Great Finds :hello2:
 
Nice finds, I like the copper even if it is not in the best of shape. I found one out west that was in much better shape, however it turned out to be a counterfeit
 
Congratulations on the quarter. 1970 is still on my wish list....as is a vermont copper!
HH
 
But still very clear what it is so still a good one. :thumbsup:
 
Sounds like you are on the right road, there. I have no idea what a 1786 Vermontensium copper should look like, so can't say much about that.

Is that a small flask or box on the top of your first picture? Pretty cool find by itself, I'd say.
 
Tuberale said:
Sounds like you are on the right road, there. I have no idea what a 1786 Vermontensium copper should look like, so can't say much about that.

Is that a small flask or box on the top of your first picture? Pretty cool find by itself, I'd say.

not sure what that is. it's got a seam, so I popped it open, hoping to shake out a few coins, but there was only
dirt. it's always fun to dig a compact that's rusted shut, but clearly has something banging around in it- it's usually just broken bits of mirror, but sometimes...
 
Hey dwayne :hello2: Hard to find a Vermontensium coppers down here :dontknow: Vermon Auctori coppers are found here in SJ . Great coin :headbang: :headbang: Dawg
 
Nice copper sir! One that has eluded me thus far.
 
Thats an Identifiable G3 grade :icon_sunny: A very nice one to check off in your book ! It would tickle me to find one of those :thumbsup: MaineRelic
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom