What's new

1788 Vermont - Die Crack?

ToastedWheatie

Hero Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2013
Messages
534
Reaction score
750
Golden Thread
1
Location
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
800
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Colonial Copper Vermont coin.
I believe it's an RR 16, 1788

Is that line across the head a die crack / break? It's not a scratch by me.
I can't find one with similar markings, but to my ignorant and untrained eye, it doesn't look like a normal mark.
I can upload more pics if warranted.
 

Attachments

  • vermont.webp
    vermont.webp
    85.6 KB · Views: 100
  • Screenshot_20211006-155745_Gallery.webp
    Screenshot_20211006-155745_Gallery.webp
    86.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot_20211006-155733_Gallery.webp
    Screenshot_20211006-155733_Gallery.webp
    80.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Screenshot_20211006-155719_Gallery.webp
    Screenshot_20211006-155719_Gallery.webp
    93.1 KB · Views: 72
  • Screenshot_20211006-155653_Gallery.webp
    Screenshot_20211006-155653_Gallery.webp
    34.9 KB · Views: 79
Looks like an old scratch or dent to me. Usually a die crack will cause a raised line on the coin.
 
That makes sense. Copper pushed through the crack.
Oh well, now I know!
Thanks!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom