• image-3842112061.jpg
    image-3842112061.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 223

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with NOLA_Ken.

From the construction of this fitting, I would say late 1800's. Earlier in that period piping fittings were not that advanced. And those are NPT threads, with a type of quick connect on the outlet end.

Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does look like a piece of fire apparatus but I don't remember seeing anything like it during my 30 years with the Albany, Ga. Fire Department. We were still using brass fittings in the late 80s but I think yours is much earlier.
It may be part of a foam induction set up because there are no threads on the elbow piece thus it could't be a pressure device. It may have been hooked to a foam tank and the foam was pulled into the main line as water flowed through it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Timothy,

Welcome to TNet, and thanks for showing us your relief valve. As our senior members have indicated it was fire extinguishing related.

Here's Maurice Larkin's patent: Patent US678405 - RELIEF-VALVE

Pressure_Valve.JPG
a modern example​

Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very hard too make out that patent number but I am pretty sure it is 1898 or 88 and not 1808 in 1808 there were nearly 10,000 United States patents granted between July 31, 1790 and July 2, 1836. So a patent date in that time frame would make it pretty rare.

I have pulled up info on M D Larkin CO in Dayton, OH it is a private company making industrial tools. it was est in 1906 in Ohio.

I even think the M D Larkin company is still in business from my research and may like too see this or they could at least tell you more info about it. I will post there address and contact info below.. If this information is correct then they must have filed for this patent in 1896 (or 88) before the company was est in Ohio in 1906! patents were good for 17 years if i am correct during that time period. See if you can clearly make out that patent number year! numbers can really play tricks on you on artifacts like this so try and see exact year if you can! awesome find!

M D Larkin Company Inc
238 Warren Street
Dayton, OH 45402-2804
Phone:
(937) 223-8231

Edit: Surf found the correct patent did not see the link!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The item was manufactured somewhere between 1898-1915, as HutSiteDigger says utility patents good for 17 years.

Correction: if the company was established in 1906, then it would be 1906-1915.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Maurice D. Larkin may have purchased the patent from Louis O. Dehnel. Thats a beautiful piece and I would not melt it as scrap.

Maurice seems to have been granted an improvement patent in 1901 (posted by Surf)..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't even see Surfs link for the correct ID on the patent! Kewl find you may try contacting the company and see if they would be interested in it since that is probably one of the first patents that company started out for... They may give you a decent amount for it, I would suggest contacting them.

Upvote 0

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have thought it was a fire hydrant diffuser, used to flush fire hydrant water lines, the elbow is used to direct the flow of water
Brady

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I would have thought it was a fire hydrant diffuser, used to flush fire hydrant water lines, the elbow is used to direct the flow of water
Brady
Nope. The elbow may be used to direct the flow of water but the item itself is clearly patented as a relief valve "for the purpose of relieving the reaction or back action when the water is suddenly shut off at its outlet." Here is the patent description:

Attachments

• relief valve patent.jpg
    relief valve patent.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 506
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Do you ever hear noise in your home from water pipes when a valve is suddenly shut off? Its the same principal. A relief valve is needed to prevent a pressure wave also called hydraulic shock or water hammer. "This pressure wave can cause major problems, from noise and vibration to pipe collapse."

Read cause and effect http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_hammer

Upvote 0

fireford10

Apr 4, 2013
Bossier City, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you are correct! that sudden pressure will cause seals to break and therefore not allowing the pressure needed to flow the correct amount of water at a fire scene. We are taught to slowly close the nozzle on a line during operation, which allows for the internal parts to absorb the shock. Back when this was designed, everything was probably just bolted together with little or no shock absorbing pieces, which is why this item was needed so that the whole pump wouldnt be destroyed by that sudden shock. On a side note, its funny as hell to tell the rookie on his first shift to go get the "water hammer" off the truck. lol, about an hour later he gives up and says he cant find it. i still want this item for sure![

Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have tough time selling it Timothy or dont know what too do with it. let me know i will buy it off you.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Firelord, I'd give it to you had someone here not said it might be worth something.
You'll have to blame them. :)
I have no idea if its worth anything. I think I said that I would not have it melted as scrap. I think its cool but I love everything old and brass in our modern world of plastic. I would hope it has more value than melt down. Put it on eBay and see if it attracts any interest.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread