Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
My friend Stan just found a 1808 4 reale coin which are rarely dug. I think I've only seen maybe 2 posted on the forums in the last 15 years. Not something you see every day for sure. I got looking at it and thought I was seeing a weak "7" under the 8. Got checking around and apparently there were some that were overstruck. Saw one on ebay that was selling for $900 so it must be rare. My friend thinks what I'm seeing may be nothing more than an imperfection when the coin was minted. So I'm trying to get some other opinions from you colonial coin experts. Appreciate any help with this.

Attachments

• stans 1808 over 7.jpg
    stans 1808 over 7.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 1,076
  • stans 1808 over 7b.jpg
    stans 1808 over 7b.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 1,117
Upvote 0

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an overstrike to me. I can clearly see the 7 under the last 8. Actually the first 8 and the 0 don't look like normal numbers, maybe thats the way they looked back then, but the first 8 and 0 look like broken dyes in my opinion..................Rich

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes, it's a known variety and appears to be the as the same coin you seen on ebay, just in not as good condition. My Krause says $150 in VF, but the book is about 6 years old, and I think Chile 4 and 8 reales seem to have a little more interest than some of the other mints. Keeper for sure.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Overstrike or not, it's a wonderful find for Stan. You just don't see the 4 reales very often.

For the record, looks like an overstrike to me :thumbsup:

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it looks like a restrike to me, an fabulous find in my book,HH :icon_thumleft:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appears to me to be a filled and recut die. Eventhough Ferdinand was king, Charles IV was included in the series of 1808. Ferdinand was found mostly on the 2 and 8 real coins. Hogge

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find. I have attached a picture (sorry, no scanner) of a page from
a world coin book I have. This page shows this coin with many details for it.
Hope this helps.

:icon_thumright:
Joe

Attachments

• Chile 4 Reales (1123x1280).jpg
    Chile 4 Reales (1123x1280).jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 596

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mackaydon said:
That Ebay $900 price is only the asking price. You may wish to follow it and see IF or at what price it does sell: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=11116&_from=R40&_kw=1808+7+4+reales+Chile
Don........

Makes no difference anyway. The two coins are so far apart for condition they might as well be different altogether when it comes to judging the value. Buyers will really step up for top grades... $900 up... well probably not, because even he doesn't think it will get that because he will take offers.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill,you find the most awesome stuff. :notworthy:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
IP: We differ (a rarity).
If the eBay coin sells, at least we would then have a RELATIVE starting point from which to judge ‘our’ coin’s value. It isn’t like comparing coins that are ‘different altogether’; in fact, the only difference might be the grade since the type, year, mint assayer, etc. are all identical. As in any appraisal, one makes adjustments for quality and other considerations, but I don’t totally disregard the sale of a similar item simply because the grade margin is large. The eBay sale (if it occurs) becomes a beginning reference point from which to judge the value of the found coin IMO.
Don....

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mackaydon said:
IP: We differ (a rarity).
If the eBay coin sells, at least we would then have a RELATIVE starting point from which to judge ‘our’ coin’s value. It isn’t like comparing coins that are ‘different altogether’; in fact, the only difference might be the grade since the type, year, mint assayer, etc. are all identical. As in any appraisal, one makes adjustments for quality and other considerations, but I don’t totally disregard the sale of a similar item simply because the grade margin is large. The eBay sale (if it occurs) becomes a beginning reference point from which to judge the value of the found coin IMO.
Don....

Many other people feel the same way too, and is why they value their finds too high. Plus one buy it now/best offer only says what 1 person is willing to pay, and for all we know the buyer could be a billionaire bored and clicking coins over an afternoon, and paying whatever the price is on it. If you believe the seller maybe that is a starting point, but I can tell you it's not uncommon to find coins on ebay priced at 3-4 times their actual value. So again, based on that, that ebay sale does not help.

kane23

Mar 29, 2007
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice piece! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread