🥇 BANNER 1837 SLAVE TAG & Rev War PEWTER!

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Been overseas for 2 weeks and have been itching to get back to the lowcountry and knock the dust of the CTX. While I would have been perfectly happy to walk away with a flat button, I could never have predicted a night like this. This particular site has proven to be a great spot to meet other diggers on TNet. Over the course of the last month, we have had multiple group hunts with amazing success. Affectionately known as the watermelon patch, the dirt is packed with 300 years of history and continues to produce. The evening started out as most do, surface pottery, glass, and brick shards- the normal indicators for a killer site. Given the volume of targets and age of the site, everything dug ends up in my pouch for later identification. After arriving home I had no idea what I had dug. As I was working through my round stuff pocket, I noticed the familiar look of pewter. While only a partial, I carefully tooth picked away the corrosion hoping for a design of some sort...6...7!

P2170171.JPG P2170172.JPG

First Revolutionary War button of 2016, and finally an end to a 1 year regimental drought. Curiously, the 67th Regiment of Foot did not serve in North America during the war although 1 other example is noted in Troiani's book as being recovered in SC. Perhaps the soldier was attached to another unit during the occupation.

20160217_154708.jpg 20160217_155345.jpg

At this point I am already running around the kitchen, until I notice a familiar shape in the misc pocket-rectangular and made of brass. May have dug my first plate? After a bit of careful cleaning, my heart started pounding. Could this actually be what I think it is...holy **** its a Charleston Slave TAG! 1837 Servant #573. For me there are no words to express how it feels holding such a piece of history. The stories this discarded object could tell- stories which would have been lost after the site is covered in concrete.

20160217_205312.jpg P2170168.JPG P2170170.JPG P2170167.JPG

Among the other digs was a curious pewter spoon with an unknown benchmark, flat buttons, round balls, and a tiny pewter heart. Any ID help with the spoon is great appreciated.

HM 2.jpg HM 1.jpg P2170176.JPG

Certainly a night I will never forget- Rev War Regimental and a Charleston Slave tag at one site. This is why we spend the hours we do digging and swinging. As always, thanks for looking and get out there and save the next piece of history.

P2170174.JPG P2170175.JPG P2190177.JPG

Update- After 48 hours in oil and a light brushing I am happy with the balance of patina and corrosion...after all its been in the ground for 179 years :laughing7:. Thanks to everyone for the kind words and for giving this history the attention it deserves.

After a bit of research I have been able to confirm the tag was manufactured by Charleston silversmith William M. Rouse. He apprenticed until 1834 as a silversmith under John Ewan and subsequently went into business for himself. In 1836 he was awarded the city contract for manufacturing tags. Rouse's tags are unique in that he used a series of small dots around the stamped occupations on his badges from the 1830s. He continued making badges until 1840, size though growing increasingly smaller due to the increased cost of materials or diminishing profit margins. In 1837 he manufactured 3722 tags for a total contract of $8,141. Unfortunately the trail goes cold regarding the poor soul who wore the tag. All records were lost after the Civil War-

P2190179.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 112

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats awesome find! Congrats on Banner too!

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible slave tag! Congratulations on your banner find!

Steve

Rivers rat

Oct 21, 2012
LONDON UK
Detector(s) used
Deus/Laser scout
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never heard about slaves tag so i pleased you found one :) thats a really really cool find

RR

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on all those amazing finds, the Slave Tag just puts it over the top though! :occasion14:

I think the pottery frag finds look fantastic all by themselves! :thumbsup:

Dave

Attachments

• Pottery Frags.JPG
    Pottery Frags.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 91
OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on all those amazing finds, the Slave Tag just puts it over the top though! :occasion14:

I think the pottery frag finds look fantastic all by themselves! :thumbsup:

Dave

Thanks Dave, the WP certainly gave up its fair share of surface finds along truly incredible relics.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
How on earth did this get by me?!?! Fabulous finds and that pewter is a remarkable find. "Any Rev. button" is written on my bucket list and holy smokes yours is up there with the best of them buttons. A wonderful and great slave tag too despite them not quite being my thing. BIG CONGRATS!!!

Steve

tony curnick

Oct 14, 2014
Benoni
Detector(s) used
Garret At pro,Garret seahunter Mk 2,Minelab etrac,Minelab 305,one and a half surfmaster pi's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that slave tag is a cool find!!

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How on earth did this get by me?!?! Fabulous finds and that pewter is a remarkable find. "Any Rev. button" is written on my bucket list and holy smokes yours is up there with the best of them buttons. A wonderful and great slave tag too despite them not quite being my thing. BIG CONGRATS!!!

Steve

Thanks Steve,

While the tag stole the show the pewter is an interesting one. I have yet to find another example of the 67th Regiment of Foot other than the example mentioned in Troiani's book. Likely a soldier attached to an other unit which certainly makes it a rare dig.

relicminer

Dec 31, 2010
Pike County Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro-pointer, Lecshe Digging Tool, Predator Mauler T-Handle
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, I get sick to my stomach when I see all the great stuff that comes outta the Low Country dirt. I'm a Navy vet that was stationed there for two years and didn't own a metal detector back then... and I was real busy fishing. Had I only taken a little time to pursue history, maybe I would have found a few awesome finds like yours. Water under the bridge. Congratulations on some fantastic finds.:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, I get sick to my stomach when I see all the great stuff that comes outta the Low Country dirt. I'm a Navy vet that was stationed there for two years and didn't own a metal detector back then... and I was real busy fishing. Had I only taken a little time to pursue history, maybe I would have found a few awesome finds like yours. Water under the bridge. Congratulations on some fantastic finds.:icon_thumleft:

Thanks Relicminer, I think we've all had that "if only I had gotten into the obsession eariler" moment but the fact that this stuff is still out there waiting to be discovered keeps me going out every weekend. I'm USAF so no telling where I'll be swinging after my next assignment.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some killer finds makes me wanna go detecting right now!

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As if the rev button was not enough, the tag has left me speechless. I really appreciate you sharing that! Going to keep a sharp eye out for these moving forward. Yours is the first example I've ever seen!

JerseyDigger19

Apr 20, 2015
West Orange, NJ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love the slave tag! The symbol on the spoon looks a lot like the coat of arms of the city of Bremen, Germany. Maybe it's from there?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread