🥇 BANNER 1837 SLAVE TAG & Rev War PEWTER!

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Been overseas for 2 weeks and have been itching to get back to the lowcountry and knock the dust of the CTX. While I would have been perfectly happy to walk away with a flat button, I could never have predicted a night like this. This particular site has proven to be a great spot to meet other diggers on TNet. Over the course of the last month, we have had multiple group hunts with amazing success. Affectionately known as the watermelon patch, the dirt is packed with 300 years of history and continues to produce. The evening started out as most do, surface pottery, glass, and brick shards- the normal indicators for a killer site. Given the volume of targets and age of the site, everything dug ends up in my pouch for later identification. After arriving home I had no idea what I had dug. As I was working through my round stuff pocket, I noticed the familiar look of pewter. While only a partial, I carefully tooth picked away the corrosion hoping for a design of some sort...6...7!

P2170171.JPG P2170172.JPG

First Revolutionary War button of 2016, and finally an end to a 1 year regimental drought. Curiously, the 67th Regiment of Foot did not serve in North America during the war although 1 other example is noted in Troiani's book as being recovered in SC. Perhaps the soldier was attached to another unit during the occupation.

20160217_154708.jpg 20160217_155345.jpg

At this point I am already running around the kitchen, until I notice a familiar shape in the misc pocket-rectangular and made of brass. May have dug my first plate? After a bit of careful cleaning, my heart started pounding. Could this actually be what I think it is...holy **** its a Charleston Slave TAG! 1837 Servant #573. For me there are no words to express how it feels holding such a piece of history. The stories this discarded object could tell- stories which would have been lost after the site is covered in concrete.

20160217_205312.jpg P2170168.JPG P2170170.JPG P2170167.JPG

Among the other digs was a curious pewter spoon with an unknown benchmark, flat buttons, round balls, and a tiny pewter heart. Any ID help with the spoon is great appreciated.

HM 2.jpg HM 1.jpg P2170176.JPG

Certainly a night I will never forget- Rev War Regimental and a Charleston Slave tag at one site. This is why we spend the hours we do digging and swinging. As always, thanks for looking and get out there and save the next piece of history.

P2170174.JPG P2170175.JPG P2190177.JPG

Update- After 48 hours in oil and a light brushing I am happy with the balance of patina and corrosion...after all its been in the ground for 179 years :laughing7:. Thanks to everyone for the kind words and for giving this history the attention it deserves.

After a bit of research I have been able to confirm the tag was manufactured by Charleston silversmith William M. Rouse. He apprenticed until 1834 as a silversmith under John Ewan and subsequently went into business for himself. In 1836 he was awarded the city contract for manufacturing tags. Rouse's tags are unique in that he used a series of small dots around the stamped occupations on his badges from the 1830s. He continued making badges until 1840, size though growing increasingly smaller due to the increased cost of materials or diminishing profit margins. In 1837 he manufactured 3722 tags for a total contract of $8,141. Unfortunately the trail goes cold regarding the poor soul who wore the tag. All records were lost after the Civil War-

P2190179.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 112

TheGreatNorth

Sep 6, 2015
Southern Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATGOLD w/every coil..
GArrett ACE250
Garrett Pinpointer
CTX3030 mostly
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great save!! That is truly a magnificent find most of us will never make. BANNER FOR SURE!!!

Ballping77

Greenie
Jan 19, 2016
Goose creek sc
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
looking for a group to dig with ,Im a local in the Charleston and would love to get with yall to dig one day!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks GT, this particular relic has been on my bucket list since I started swinging 3 years ago, but never imagined it would actually happen so soon.

I believe that's called "pulling an Abe8" :) And I am also a member. :) It's nice to hit a big one so soon!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a fickle crowd here on TNet. Too much of a good thing can be bad. GW buttons come to mind. Sometimes they make banner and sometimes they don't. All depends on how many have been posted recently.

That being said, this slave tag is MUCH rarer than most GW buttons and should have been a banner find days ago. Guess I'll have to get ambitious and nominate it as well!

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, not sure why no banner yet.........

I believe that the banner gods like to play games with the tnet members and get some kind of power trip out of holding out for what is clearly a banner worthy find. You could replace all but 4 or 5 of the current banner finds with this slave tag and be completely justified. Kind of takes the meaning out of what is a banner find when this happens.

Kudos to the finder of this amazing recovery for keeping a positive attitude and not being bothered by the banner snub. Saving this rare and important relic from being lost to development is what is important - Congrats!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Invariably what happens to these kinds of posts where instant gratification isn't achieved they tend to go off topic and then are cited as to reason a banner wasn't granted, but like every good detectorist knows, patience is your best bet; keep faith knowing you made a find so rare it cannot be denied!

P@tch

Apr 9, 2013
mooresville,nc
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer 2, etrac, deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm gonna bump this post till it makes banner

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has to have more than enough to already be banner? Not sure why it had not made it yet?

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's a fickle crowd here on TNet. Too much of a good thing can be bad. GW buttons come to mind. Sometimes they make banner and sometimes they don't. All depends on how many have been posted recently.

That being said, this slave tag is MUCH rarer than most GW buttons and should have been a banner find days ago. Guess I'll have to get ambitious and nominate it as well!

Hey Tim, just got off the road and saw all the new appreciation for the tag. Thanks for the kind words and support.

Coilcrazy2

Nov 9, 2010
Reading, pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, gray ghost headphones,
Fisher 1265x,
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Tesoro cibola,
Tesoro Outlaw
Amazing Hunt!! The slave tag is a banner find all day and the button...well thats awesome too!

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Amazing Hunt!! The slave tag is a banner find all day and the button...well thats awesome too!

Thanks Coil,

My favorite period of American history is colonial through 1812 so the 67th Regimental button was amazing enough. Had no idea that I had dug the tag until I got home...another unassuming piece of copper? Haha, just goes to show never leave anything behind

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe this??
Why not up top???

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Linked up with DirtStalker to say goodbye to the WP prior to the concrete pouring and had the opportunity to unite our finds of a lifetime. Both were manufactured in Charleston, 1833 and 1837, however recovered quite a distance apart. It was a bit surreal placing them together after saving both from the ground.

IMG_20160228_073849256.jpg

As detailed in the thread, the tags were awarded yearly as a part of a city contract. This accounted for the varying size and style of each engraver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread