🥇 BANNER 1837 SLAVE TAG & Rev War PEWTER!

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Been overseas for 2 weeks and have been itching to get back to the lowcountry and knock the dust of the CTX. While I would have been perfectly happy to walk away with a flat button, I could never have predicted a night like this. This particular site has proven to be a great spot to meet other diggers on TNet. Over the course of the last month, we have had multiple group hunts with amazing success. Affectionately known as the watermelon patch, the dirt is packed with 300 years of history and continues to produce. The evening started out as most do, surface pottery, glass, and brick shards- the normal indicators for a killer site. Given the volume of targets and age of the site, everything dug ends up in my pouch for later identification. After arriving home I had no idea what I had dug. As I was working through my round stuff pocket, I noticed the familiar look of pewter. While only a partial, I carefully tooth picked away the corrosion hoping for a design of some sort...6...7!

P2170171.JPG P2170172.JPG

First Revolutionary War button of 2016, and finally an end to a 1 year regimental drought. Curiously, the 67th Regiment of Foot did not serve in North America during the war although 1 other example is noted in Troiani's book as being recovered in SC. Perhaps the soldier was attached to another unit during the occupation.

20160217_154708.jpg 20160217_155345.jpg

At this point I am already running around the kitchen, until I notice a familiar shape in the misc pocket-rectangular and made of brass. May have dug my first plate? After a bit of careful cleaning, my heart started pounding. Could this actually be what I think it is...holy **** its a Charleston Slave TAG! 1837 Servant #573. For me there are no words to express how it feels holding such a piece of history. The stories this discarded object could tell- stories which would have been lost after the site is covered in concrete.

20160217_205312.jpg P2170168.JPG P2170170.JPG P2170167.JPG

Among the other digs was a curious pewter spoon with an unknown benchmark, flat buttons, round balls, and a tiny pewter heart. Any ID help with the spoon is great appreciated.

HM 2.jpg HM 1.jpg P2170176.JPG

Certainly a night I will never forget- Rev War Regimental and a Charleston Slave tag at one site. This is why we spend the hours we do digging and swinging. As always, thanks for looking and get out there and save the next piece of history.

P2170174.JPG P2170175.JPG P2190177.JPG

Update- After 48 hours in oil and a light brushing I am happy with the balance of patina and corrosion...after all its been in the ground for 179 years :laughing7:. Thanks to everyone for the kind words and for giving this history the attention it deserves.

After a bit of research I have been able to confirm the tag was manufactured by Charleston silversmith William M. Rouse. He apprenticed until 1834 as a silversmith under John Ewan and subsequently went into business for himself. In 1836 he was awarded the city contract for manufacturing tags. Rouse's tags are unique in that he used a series of small dots around the stamped occupations on his badges from the 1830s. He continued making badges until 1840, size though growing increasingly smaller due to the increased cost of materials or diminishing profit margins. In 1837 he manufactured 3722 tags for a total contract of $8,141. Unfortunately the trail goes cold regarding the poor soul who wore the tag. All records were lost after the Civil War-

P2190179.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 112

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will get up there but it may take a few weeks to bump the current slave tag...

Heck if that's what they are waiting on they can move my tag to the next page, the end or remove it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Heck if that's what they are waiting on they can move my tag to the next page, the end or remove it.

Thanks Allen, but your tag is just as significant and deserves equal recognition. While it would be icing on the cake to see #573 across the top, there is little that diminishes this particular find for me. At the end of the day, I can walk into my kitchen and hold real American history in my hand :laughing7:

As always, thanks for all the comments and banner support given by those who truly appreciate the significance of this find. I'll continue to post updates if I discover new information.

Cheers,

Jon

Last edited:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jon,

I agree whether or not it makes it up top is more or less irrelevant....all the detectorists who appreciate the significance of this find including me knows it's banner worthy and that's all that should matter in your eyes.....off the soap box now...lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can walk into my kitchen and hold real American history in my hand
I Love that! You know what I'm saying:laughing7: Sounds like a Ben Franklin Quote

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it's worthy it's worthy. In my opinion (which I know means nothing) if there's 5 chain cents found in the same week they should all go up. If there's 8 tree coins they should all go up. I just hate it when somebody finds something amazing and doesn't get the recognition it deserves. A killer rare find is a killer rare find. Regardless if somebody else happens to have found the same thing at the same time

Couldn't agree more dude!

Its like the banner bar is used for advertising on here or something, to show visitors to the site a cross section of what we find. I typically use the link to the banner page to look back at all of them.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/banner.php

Best link on all of tnet... better than best of because those banners are chosen and voted up by us. So if it's a banner, it should be marked as one so that months later we can easily find the story and enjoy it all over again. If it doesn't get marked as a banner, then it's lost to the 2,044 current pages of today's finds. That's really the only reason that banner matters... to put some organization to the best stuff on here so we can enjoy then later. Otherwise, the find is still the real prize. :thumbsup:

Fyrguy86

Sep 15, 2013
Landenberg, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab GPX5000, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow. That's amazing brother. I'm happy for you. Stay safe buddy.

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Josh, sad to hear that the site has been flattened by a steam roller. So much great stuff saved from inevitable destruction.

Yeah RIP Watermelon Patch.This may have been 15 acres but these finds were all in an area of about ¾ acres. Some Great people were able to make some Great Saves including your Banner Slave Tag and many Firsts for several people. Everything from Spanish Silver. War 1812 Rev War Colonial Civil War up to 1900's silver would be lost Again and Forever entombed in a concrete grave. I want to thank all of those that I was fortunate enough to share this Epic site with and hope they will treasure the finds for a lifetime. Thanks Allen

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah RIP Watermelon Patch.This may have been 15 acres but these finds were all in an area of about ¾ acres. Some Great people were able to make some Great Saves including your Banner Slave Tag and many Firsts for several people. Everything from Spanish Silver. War 1812 Rev War Colonial Civil War up to 1900's silver would be lost Again and Forever entombed in a concrete grave. I want to thank all of those that I was fortunate enough to share this Epic site with and hope they will treasure the finds for a lifetime. Thanks Allen

Thank YOU Allen for being so unselfish and letting several of us share this phenomenal site. Class act.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
killer, ill vote banner

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tag is in TERRIFIC shape! Nice digs bud!

GT

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Sad to see the WP covered, but hopeful that another could be around to corner. With a group of low country hunters like ours, cumulative research and scouting will certainly pay off. Thanks again for the invite Allen and let's link up again soon

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, not sure why no banner yet.........

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow !! Two awesome finds, great historic recovery!!! Congrats, enjoy and HH

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tag is in TERRIFIC shape! Nice digs bud!

GT

Thanks GT, this particular relic has been on my bucket list since I started swinging 3 years ago, but never imagined it would actually happen so soon. So much history left in that low country dirt. Love your videos and good luck with the British camp digs.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, not sure why no banner yet.........
I was kind of wondering the same thing?maybe the powers that be want to make some more space between this one and the other one on the banner?only reason I can think of?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread