goldbill

May 6, 2009
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites v3 deus v4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been going thru a dry spell lately... but I keep telling myself.. keep out there and it will come.

today it came! I visited three sites that a friend [mainerelic] and I worked this spring. On the third site, at around 3:30 this afternoon, I had a solid "84" signal. that's always a dig for me. at about 7 inches, out comes this coin. my first thought was "what is this ... a small quarter? maybe it has been clipped" then I see the seated liberty! and the date! 1875! and i said to myself "all right! I've been wanting one of these!" later I found a gold ring w/a monster stone.. does it get any better than this??? turns out to be a costume ... but I was psyched for awhile. when I got home, I was on the phone with a friend {not mainerelic}. I told him " I found a 1875 seated liberty in real good shape. Hang on I am going to rinse it off now"..... then I said.."something's wrong" "it says twenty cents not twenty five cents, I guess I have a twenty cent pc.. did they ever make those?" they sure did look .

Attachments

• 1875_coin_twenty_cent_pc_seated_liberty_side.jpg
    1875_coin_twenty_cent_pc_seated_liberty_side.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 1,632
  • 1875_coin_twenty_cent_pc_eagle_side_2nd_try.jpg
    1875_coin_twenty_cent_pc_eagle_side_2nd_try.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,660
  • 1875_coin_twenty_cent_pc_seated_liberty_side.jpg
    1875_coin_twenty_cent_pc_seated_liberty_side.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 1,635
  • 1875_coin_twenty_cent_pc_eagle_side_2nd_try.jpg
    1875_coin_twenty_cent_pc_eagle_side_2nd_try.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,573
Upvote 1
I agree that this is a Banner coin, but there is some sort of guideline that keeps new posters from getting there. There are way more gold coins found than 20 cent pieces; this is a wonderful find!

Yeah Buddy ! That is a highly desirable find indeed ! I'm a bit concerned about the vertical mark
on the obverse - near Liberty's arm - is it a scratch ? It's only a big deal if one were interested in
selling the piece , if not no worries ! As an earlier post mentioned , we see more gold coins than
twenty cent pieces posted here ! BANNER !!!! Argentium.

Congrats man,

Love that 20 cent coin. Very rare to find with a unit.

HH Jer

A beautiful find! Beats the two cents I found today anytime. :laughing7:

thanks everyone for all your comments . i've been on a cloud since i found it. as to the mark on the obverse side at first i thought that it was background on the coin. i just looked with a loop and i'm guessing that its an old strike of some sort it's full of dirt i haven't cleaned it at all yet. i think it's also slightly concave. probably a hundred maine winters will bend anything.ive been through almost 57 and i'm kinda bent too!

Beautiful coin :icon_thumleft: a CC is a rare find for that coin , there is nothing wrong with your pics they look fine if you where looking to enlarge them its easy i use (Picnik) its free and works great . Good find that should grade high Jim

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,018
Awesome find...that is on my wish list.

My vote is in for banner.

NJ

Too bad about scratches, as that coin has XF45 details minimum (arguably AU), and it could have been a $1,000 to $1,250 coin without the damage. It's still a heck of a find!

halfdime said:
I agree that this is a Banner coin, but there is some sort of guideline that keeps new posters from getting there. There are way more gold coins found than 20 cent pieces; this is a wonderful find!
thanks for the comment guidelines really i thought it was about the finds!!! my buddy keeps telling me to put them on line however the computer is a mystery to me .i was at least 3 hours getting those pics on line and they were huge someone helped me i think thanks whoever you are. bill

That is a great find. Finding a CC way up here, the odds were staked against you. But finding a CC 20 center, the odds were astronomical. Great find. :notworthy: :notworthy: :icon_thumright:

mainer said:
That is a great find. Finding a CC way up here, the odds were staked against you. But finding a CC 20 center, the odds were astronomical. Great find. :notworthy: :notworthy: :icon_thumright:quote] thanks mainer ive been following your post for two years i've learned alot from you as well as everyone on here!! thanks again

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back