goldbill

May 6, 2009
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites v3 deus v4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been going thru a dry spell lately... but I keep telling myself.. keep out there and it will come.

today it came! I visited three sites that a friend [mainerelic] and I worked this spring. On the third site, at around 3:30 this afternoon, I had a solid "84" signal. that's always a dig for me. at about 7 inches, out comes this coin. my first thought was "what is this ... a small quarter? maybe it has been clipped" then I see the seated liberty! and the date! 1875! and i said to myself "all right! I've been wanting one of these!" later I found a gold ring w/a monster stone.. does it get any better than this??? turns out to be a costume ... but I was psyched for awhile. when I got home, I was on the phone with a friend {not mainerelic}. I told him " I found a 1875 seated liberty in real good shape. Hang on I am going to rinse it off now"..... then I said.."something's wrong" "it says twenty cents not twenty five cents, I guess I have a twenty cent pc.. did they ever make those?" they sure did look .

Attachments

• 1875_coin_twenty_cent_pc_seated_liberty_side.jpg
    1875_coin_twenty_cent_pc_seated_liberty_side.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 1,632
  • 1875_coin_twenty_cent_pc_eagle_side_2nd_try.jpg
    1875_coin_twenty_cent_pc_eagle_side_2nd_try.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,659
  • 1875_coin_twenty_cent_pc_seated_liberty_side.jpg
    1875_coin_twenty_cent_pc_seated_liberty_side.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 1,634
  • 1875_coin_twenty_cent_pc_eagle_side_2nd_try.jpg
    1875_coin_twenty_cent_pc_eagle_side_2nd_try.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,573
Upvote 1
man that is one sweet find!!! what a rare coin to recover, congrats! in beautiful shape too! :hello2:

Ok, ok.... ???

I'm going to presume this is not on banner because still people are unsure of how to nominate something for banner. :dontknow: You must Click on the Report Post/Nominate for banner button. Located on the top left of the original posters personal information. :icon_thumleft: Located bellow their Avatar or Picture.... You must click the button in the very top post, (the original post)... So please do that now ! :notworthy:

Otherwise I would like to know why this coin is not on banner?? :icon_scratch: They only made 133,290 of these coins not only that but its a CC a very desired mint. :o Also these were only made for 3 years !! :tongue3: I don't think these are found very offten.... :help: If any American coins should make banner this is one of them !! :notworthy:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

Re: 1875 seated Liberty twenty cent piece Wow

Congradulation on such a Great Coin. You may want to send this coin to a grading company and have it cleaned professionally and it would pay off. Banner Matieral; goldnugget-Charlotte,N.C.

Attachments

• tresure hunter with chest.JPG
    tresure hunter with chest.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 625
It is strange that I rarely see twenty cent pieces dug, yet I have seen 3 in the last few weeks.

Congratulations!!!

:hello: Congrats on the scarce and extremely hard find !! I know . Found a 1875 S twenty center , a legit find for those who deny that they can be dug , Thank You , your find is more proof 20 center 's were circulated and lost . Best part is , your coin would be the more difficult find since there are 1,021,710 more 1875 S minted than 1875 Carson City . Yep, over a million more San Frans ! Your coin is a year away from being a six figure coin with the CC mintmark ..even with the obverse damage , it is still valued more than the twenty center I found . Yes , I made the banner with my twenty cent and a banner is a pat on the back , felt good , but I never received a check for big bucks and a few :-\ :icon_scratch: boycott my posts . :dontknow: My first post was an 1793 Liberty cap half cent " 500 known " and a 1794 large cent .. , green newbie , & posted thread in "coins" , got 13 comments , not even a nomination , I didn't even know what a banner was till day's later . First poster rules were the same for me .. same for you , fair enough .. .. I like this forum . I have friends here who believe in my credibility and I do find coins and relics that support my" I show what I find digs" . . I know you will do well and Welcome , there are rules for a reason and some things are the way they are . A twenty cent piece purchasing power in 1875 would be the equivalent to 3.95 today 8) 8) CMDdawg

CMDiamonddawg said:
:hello: Congrats on the scarce and extremely hard find !! I know . Found a 1875 S twenty center , a legit find for those who deny that they can be dug , Thank You , your find is more proof 20 center 's were circulated and lost . Best part is , your coin would be the more difficult find since there are 1,021,710 more 1875 S minted than 1875 Carson City . Yep, over a million more San Frans ! Your coin is a year away from being a six figure coin with the CC mintmark ..even with the obverse damage , it is still valued more than the twenty center I found . Yes , I made the banner with my twenty cent and a banner is a pat on the back , felt good , but I never received a check for big bucks and a few :-\ :icon_scratch: boycott my posts . :dont know: My first post was an 1793 Liberty cap half cent " 500 known " and a 1794 large cent .. , green newbie , & posted thread in "coins" , got 13 comments , not even a nomination , I didn't even know what a banner was till day's later . First poster rules were the same for me .. same for you , fair enough .. .. I like this forum . I have friends here who believe in my credibility and I do find coins and relics that support my" I show what I find digs" . . I know you will do well and Welcome , there are rules for a reason and some things are the way they are . A twenty cent piece purchasing power in 1875 would be the equivalent to 3.95 today 8) 8) CMDdawg
thanks CMDdawg. When i first started to realize what i had i did a search in this site for that coin and only two came up yours being one and the banner of coarse. I think it's cool you responded !! I'm also really excited about where it was found you know if they lost one why not two .Did you go through that ? the site really won't be totally doable until spring . i'm thinking this is going to drive me nuts all winter

Congrats on an excellent find!!! They are much harder to find than gold coins. I am lucky enough to have found (2) 20 cent pieces over the years. Welcome to the 20-Center Club!!! Take care and HH, Mike.

:o Wow! :o 3000 miles from C.C. by air, and that coin ended up in Maine in great shape for you to find. Congrats!
I hunt in Carson City a few times a month, and have yet to find a coin actually minted there. and 20 cent'rs are rare no matter where minted!

Should have been a banner..... Nice coin, and yes I know it was 4 years ago.

Thanks I never understood why it didn't but you can't change the past!!!!

Big time man, outstanding coin and the detail so good..BANNER..for sure..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back