What's new

1895 O Morgan silver dollar for $5

cyberdan

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2006
Messages
4,599
Reaction score
2,232
Golden Thread
0
Location
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a swap meet yesterday. Lots of junk, but one booth had a few piles of silver dollars at the front. That quickly cought my attention. Most of the piles were Mexican silver pesos (big as dollars)

But I spotted the morgans and peace ones pretty quickly. I casually went over and started looking and vendor came over and said $5 each, what a bargain and a New Orleans mint on the 1894. I said that was nice (not acting real impressed) I asked does he have any more as I looked at the peace dollars. He pulled 4 or 5 more moragns out of his pocket. The first one he gave me was also an 1894O, what an odd coincidence.

Now I pulled out my magnifying glass and found a mint error on one coin and the other had the same exact error.

It had COUNTERFIT written all over it! :icon_pirat: and I told him so. (the coin was cast)

All of a sudden his english got pretty bad. So beware out there Chinese counterfits are have worked their way into the swap meets. No he was not Chinese and yes I am sure he needed a green card amigo. ;D
 
Upvote 0
How about $25 for an uncirculated 1984-o. Is that a fair price?
 
cyberdan said:
All of a sudden his english got pretty bad.

That's funny.....I would have loved to witness this act.....lol. Ya busted him......nice job CD!
 
I was wondering (for all of us less informed) what you spotted that caused the red flag? A couple of years ago I got swindled on ebay for some trade dollars. When I complained I was reimbursed fully and got to keep the rusting dollars. Lesson Learned. These stinkin counterfiets are ruining our hobby.

Thanks
 
Silver_Fox said:
How about $25 for an uncirculated 1984-o. Is that a fair price?
Actually a 1984 O is extremly valuable that is the only Kennedy half to be struck in New Orleans. :o
 
Howeburger said:
I was wondering (for all of us less informed) what you spotted that caused the red flag?

Actually I read (and looked at the pictures) at the link Jim4silver posted. I saw it a few weeks ago so it was fresh in my mind.

The red flag I saw on the morgan looked like a small bulge or highspot at the 4 o'clock position. If I did not have two coins to compare I would not have known for sure. Several months ago I found a commerative half (1925 Fort Vancouver Centennial) The blue book priced it at $190 to $225. I took it in to my favorite coin shop and after looking in a hugh binder he proclaimed it counterfit and showed me what to look for. An error or scratch does not make it fake but if the same exact mark is on another coin chances are it is.

The binder has updated pages of known counterfits coins with very close up photos of the telltale marks. Ask your coin dealer to show you his copy.
 
Ju8vP3t said:
Morgans for $5 each? that's the first thing I would've thought..COUNTERFEIT..!!!!!!
A few weeks ago I paid $7 for a morgan at a garage sale. Two weeks ago I paid Less than $2 for another morgan. Both are real I always toss it a bit in my hand you can feel one ounce pretty good.
 
cyberdan said:
Silver_Fox said:
How about $25 for an uncirculated 1984-o. Is that a fair price?
Actually a 1984 O is extremly valuable that is the only Kennedy half to be struck in New Orleans. :o
I was talking about a 1884 - o Morgan $1.
 
Silver_Fox said:
cyberdan said:
Silver_Fox said:
How about $25 for an uncirculated 1984-o. Is that a fair price?
Actually a 1984 O is extremly valuable that is the only Kennedy half to be struck in New Orleans. :o
I was talking about a 1984 - o Morgan $1.

A 1984-O Morgan is even rarer!!!!! Megabucks!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o
 
wayne1956 said:
Silver_Fox said:
cyberdan said:
Silver_Fox said:
How about $25 for an uncirculated 1884-o. Is that a fair price?
Actually a 1984 O is extremly valuable that is the only Kennedy half to be struck in New Orleans. :o
I was talking about a 1884 - o Morgan $1.

A 1884-O Morgan is even rarer!!!!! Megabucks!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o
So IS a 1884 O $1 for $25 a good deal?
 
I have found the opposite, I find when I try to speak Spanish to people they somehow learn much better English or I find them to be fluent. Funny how that works. Seems to work for most languages too, the more you butcher it but look like your sincerely trying, They learn English fast.
Behavior improves upon the use of words such as
Policia, and La Miagra or what ever immigration is.
Try it, its a blast.
 
TreasureTales said:
Good work on calling out the counterfeit coins. I would have called the police and had this jerk escorted out of the country.
More like Immigration! They would have had a field day, nobody was here legally. Oh, sorry I forgot this is California (North,North Mexico) and they all think I shouldn't be here.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom