What's new

1967 Proof or SMS?

placerman

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2005
Messages
286
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
I was going through my halves today and found a 1981S Proof.

A few rolls later I found what sure looks like a 1967 proof.

The 1967 half is every bit as lustrous as the 1981S.

I dont have my Red Book available but has anyone else found something like this?

BTW 4 boxes, 3 90% Kennedys and 6 40% Kennedys plus the 1981S Proof. Not a great day but Ill take it.
 
Upvote 0
Yes, I found 1966 and 1967. The rim of your 1967sms should be similar (sharp, wide) as your 1981s. Otherwise, it just may be a shinny coin, not a sms.
 
Agreed,
an SMS coin is one that is documented to have come from a special mint set.
If it came from a roll, it would be called brilliant uncirculated.
some of the brilliant coins from rolls have graded quite high in the last couple years.
 
Does anyone know the markers for SMS coins. In the past I have been told that if you have to ask if it was SMS it wasn't. I would think that I would have found one in my searches but I haven't found a 65, 66, or 67 SMS but have found multiple 68-S,69-S, 70-S, and 70-D so I think would have seen one by now.

HH,
65GT350
 
Some SMS coins have markers but very few.
one for example is the 1996 S Kennedy Matte Half.
It is an SMS silver coin that isn't proof.
Keep an eye out for it. there are less than 50,000 made.
 
Old Dog said:
Some SMS coins have markers but very few.
one for example is the 1996 S Kennedy Matte Half.
It is an SMS silver coin that isn't proof.
Keep an eye out for it. there are less than 50,000 made.

Do you know of markers for the 65-67 SMS coins? I am looking for either die scratches or other ways to identify SMS coins from really nice BU coins.

HH,
65GT350
 
This is kind of random, but what does SMS mean? ???
 
Not much added value in the SMS(special mint sets) coins but they do look nice. The full sets can be found for $5 - $10 each. There is an error or two on them that are worth a few bucks. Double Dies on each including a quadruple on one. CONECA does have some listed.

Maine_Jim
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom