Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

We've just wrapped up our second year here in Kentucky as the Iron Brigade. A BIG "Thank You" is in order to everyone on the team for the inspiration, the help, the faith, and the good friendship. What a year it was. :o

I want to start with the relic finds and save all of our great coin finds for the third post of photos below...

First off is some of HB's finds. Lots of brass flat buttons, pewters and tombacs:

HBs buttons.jpg

Strap guides, tin or lead soldier, a piece of lead that was made into dice, a ramrod channel, minieball, musket sling hook, knapsack hook:

HB More2.JPG

Suspender clips and a nice harness boss:

HB susp and harness boss.jpg

Bridle rosettes, stirrup pieces, and a nice bootstrap end of a decorated officer's spur:

HB more1.jpg

And more:

HB more.jpg

a fantastic barrel tap along with the key that fits it--from the same site:

HB tap and key.jpg

a blood-letting device inscribed with the owner's initials, and the following quote: "The object of all study, and the end of all wisdom, is practical utility."

HB fleam.jpg

and a beautiful old brooch with a green stone and some other decorative items:

HB buckles spurs.jpg

Coinmaster2db's crotal bell, toe taps, lead seal, and suspender clips:

Coinmaster Crotal.jpg

and brass wedding bands:

Coinmaster Wedding Bands.jpg

also dug by Coinmaster--tombac, pewter, and brass buttons, including the large button with a French backmark and two fine Eagle buttons:

Coinmaster Buttons.jpg

HB's great Colonial pewter inkwell (?) and an early fob seal, pocket watch winder, etc...

HBs inkwell.jpg

More Photos Below:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Suspender clips and decorative items dug by Rodeo Recon:

1.jpg

Book clasp, crotal bell, brass keys, brass barrel tap with key, and pewter tap:

2.jpg

Complete side, and part of the other side from a mid-1800s powder flask:

3.jpg

Floral civilian buttons (1830s), two nice Eagle buttons, and (in the little case) an early 1800s Artillery Button (a KILLER find for our area!):

4.jpg

My buttons for 2009:

5.jpg

My heel plates, a complete harmonica with the thin outer "skin," a toy hatchet head, ramrod channel, decorative ornaments, the name plate off an early 1900s stove, some aluminum tokens, and a late 1800s advertising plate from Indiana:

6.jpg

My 2009 suspender clips:

7.jpg

My finds from a very *special* site. I have cataloged these and recorded coordinates of where they were found, since the site is a historical one related to a famous person (although it is not on any historical register). The finds included a nice Large Cent and the wonderful "spider's web" large button in the bottom of the photo:

8.jpg

My favorite relics of 2009. From the 8 o'clock position, going clockwise: a small clock or cupboard key, an early brass furniture decoration, the reed plate to a pitch pipe, a sterling silver thimble, a silver-plated pewter rosette, an 1883 dog tax tag ($$$!), a Victorian-Era brooch, a 1700s shoe buckle fragment, a 1700s Jew's Harp, an early pewter dog's head (probably a decoration on a stein, serving dish, or similar item), and two keyhole covers from early locks. In the middle: a gold-plated wedding band with all the gilding remaining, a decorative buckle with a swan motif, a shard of china with a man, woman, and child on it, and a small decorative early "ball button" (two-piece).

9.jpg

Rodeo's clipped-corner belt plate (missing the insignia on the face), a nice Federal-Style spur, a harness boss, ramrod channel, and powder flask spout:

10.jpg

And some more relics dug by me--a CW Sword Belt plate (only One belt plate this year :-\), Kentucky rifle lock plate and butt plate, Enfield rifle trigger piece and complete trigger guard, two Eagle Buttons, and a piece of a set of lead knuckles with a soldier's name carved into them:

11.jpg

More Photos Below:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And now the coins... The first month of the year belonged to diggergirl, who dug her first two silvers--and they were both Stunning BIG silvers! Here are the photos (I had to post the photo of the Morgan Dollar freshly dug. I am still floored by the fact that such a killer coin was dug!):

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

D.jpg

Rodeo's coins: two LC's, two Shield Nickels, two V Nickles, two Seated Dimes, and some IH's:

E.jpg

Coinmaster2db dug the first Half Cent I have ever heard of being dug in the Kentucky area in 2009. That's one HECK of a find!

F.jpg

Here are my coins for 2009. Not much variety, but I was a Large Copper magnet this year. Ended up with TWENTY LARGE CENTS (including the one in the photo in the post above), a Shield Nickel, a 2 Cent Piece, a Seated Half Dime, a V Nickel, a Silver Washington, and 10 Indian Head Cents:

G.jpg

H.jpg

I.jpg

HB dug some incredible coins out of the KY soil this year. Here's his 8 REALES, a 1805 One Real, Flying Eagle Cent, two Seated Dimes, four Large Cents, three Shield Nickels, two Barber Dimes, and lots of IH cents:

K.jpg

L.jpg

I am quite impressed with the team's coin totals this year. 27 Large Cents, a Half Cent, an 8 Reales, a One Real, a Morgan Dollar, 6 Shield Nickels, 5 Seated Coins, a Flying Eagle Cent, a 2 Cent Piece, three Barber silvers, and lots of IH's. :headbang: We have yet to go out for our first hunt of the new year (snow has been heavy here, and the ground frozen solid :-[). We will get digging soon, though. 8)

Best Wishes to all of you in 2010 from the IRON Brigade,

Buckleboy, Hill Billy, Kindafoundabuckle, Coinmaster2db, Rodeo Recon, Bonzaibrandi, and Diggergirl

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Cheers to the Iron Brigade.
Nice Finds!

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
What an awesome year and so much history recovered. congrats to the Brigade!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you're ready for PA! :thumbsup:

Maybe only 1 plate for the year, but even if that's your average it's a nice little collection after 20 years of digging. The best button that turns up here I just recently did the math on and as a group (basically just 2 now) we dig one per year. Low average, but good for a good button, and in the mix there has been some real beauties. It sure beats my 2 plates in 10 years.

That Morgan must have been a shocker, and once you see the condition you gotta be hoping to see a cc mint! Wasn't to be, but still a pretty nice big silver to go into the collection. Looks like you have a "Romeo" too! ;D

I bet you're glad to get all that out of the way and get going for 2010. I'm looking at 3 more months before things open up here.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o :o :o

You had a great 2009 and deservedly so :notworthy: hope 2010 is as good :headbang: fantastic pictures and finds :o the coins are my favourite :) but they would be :wink:

SS

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plehbah said:
Very cool stuff.

I noticed one of the fake brass bands was marked "Cripple Creek" on the inside of the band next to the fake karat marking.

Cripple Creek was a large gold strike here in Colorado in 1895. The town still exists. I think it was one of the last really major gold finds. I would guess the ring dates to that time as Cripple Creek was very famous, and the stamping probably was intended to pique interest or command a premium, much as they do with Black Hills gold.

I'm sure that Coinmaster2db will see your post. I would imagine that you are correct about the marking. I have Never seen a contemporaneous brass ring stamped with anything other than a fake karat marking. Thank you for the reply, my friend.

Hill Billy said:
Cheers to the Iron Brigade.
Nice Finds!

Cheers to YOU, my friend. Those were some Killer coin finds this year. I enjoyed the honor of your good company too. It's warming up. Let's get digging. 8)

S

seger98

You guys found so many nice relics & coins I don't know which I like best, the Morgan, the belt plate, the silver thimble..... Hard to say what my favorite is. Congratulations on a great year to all of you.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:

Maybe only 1 plate for the year, but even if that's your average it's a nice little collection after 20 years of digging. The best button that turns up here I just recently did the math on and as a group (basically just 2 now) we dig one per year. Low average, but good for a good button, and in the mix there has been some real beauties. It sure beats my 2 plates in 10 years.

That Morgan must have been a shocker, and once you see the condition you gotta be hoping to see a cc mint! Wasn't to be, but still a pretty nice big silver to go into the collection. Looks like you have a "Romeo" too! ;D

I bet you're glad to get all that out of the way and get going for 2010. I'm looking at 3 more months before things open up here.

Patch, it felt like PA this year with all those coppers jumping out of the ground. 8) I was proud to find so many. Last year was phenomenal for CW buckles and buttons. This year coppers. Perhaps next year Spanish? :o That's one of my favorite parts of the hobby.

HB found the "Romeo" this fall. First Big 8 I've ever heard of dug in Kentucky. :headbang:

Had to get the post up this week, because the temps are rising above freezing and I can't wait for the first hunt of 2010.

-Buckles

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Iron Patch said:

Patch, it felt like PA this year with all those coppers jumping out of the ground. 8) I was proud to find so many. Last year was phenomenal for CW buckles and buttons. This year coppers. Perhaps next year Spanish? :o That's one of my favorite parts of the hobby.

HB found the "Romeo" this fall. First Big 8 I've ever heard of dug in Kentucky. :headbang:

Had to get the post up this week, because the temps are rising above freezing and I can't wait for the first hunt of 2010.

-Buckles

Romeo's big 8s don't bother me because I do have one, it just ain't very pretty.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Post Will...............Iron Brigade had a super year and if only every year could bring such goodies. Now, goal for 2010, not Spanish :D, that is too common, you want some great condition 1700era coppers!! Nothing prettier than a Liberty Cap Cent or Half Cent, and that sure is within the reach of where you all hunt..............

Don

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome job you guys did this year! Congrats on a great 2009 and hope 2010 brings you loads of spanish silver!! 20 coppers :notworthy: I can only wish.

RelicRick

Aug 29, 2006
Jockey Hollow
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What?? Is that it?? lol Truly amazing year indeed! Congrats on a great 2009....good luck topping that in 2010! HH

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent finds from all of you,

I hope 2010 brings just as much and even more.

Let's go Diggin, Bill

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Awesome year for the Iron Brigade. :icon_thumright: I knew it was gonna be a good end of the year post as I have been watching the posts you made throughout the year. What is amazing is the time that went into this post. The research, the scouting, the time spent trying to get permission to dig and then the digging. I think a pic of your big iron trash pile would be in order. :D

Good year guys. I hope 2010 is the best one ever. :icon_sunny:

Good Luck
Randy

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
:o :o :o

You had a great 2009 and deservedly so :notworthy: hope 2010 is as good :headbang: fantastic pictures and finds :o the coins are my favourite :) but they would be :wink:

SS

Good to hear from you, SS. You had a great 2009 too. The coins are lovely--but I just had my first hunt of 2010 yesterday, and started off with a good relic and an old silver. That bodes well for 2010. 8)

seger98 said:
You guys found so many nice relics & coins I don't know which I like best, the Morgan, the belt plate, the silver thimble..... Hard to say what my favorite is. Congratulations on a great year to all of you.

seger,

Thank you for the kind reply, my friend. It's time to get this new year started. Best Wishes to you for a great 2010. :thumbsup:

Don in SJ said:
Great Post Will...............Iron Brigade had a super year and if only every year could bring such goodies. Now, goal for 2010, not Spanish :D, that is too common, you want some great condition 1700era coppers!! Nothing prettier than a Liberty Cap Cent or Half Cent, and that sure is within the reach of where you all hunt..............

Don

Don, I'm starting to think you may be right. We are going after some of the earliest of the early sites this year. They will take some research, and we may have a skunk hunt or two trying to find them--but they will be rewarding to locate. Thank you for the reply, my friend. Are you doing a year-end post this year? I love seeing your annual finds posts, even though I know they are a pain to get together.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don, I'm starting to think you may be right. We are going after some of the earliest of the early sites this year. They will take some research, and we may have a skunk hunt or two trying to find them--but they will be rewarding to locate. Thank you for the reply, my friend. Are you doing a year-end post this year? I love seeing your annual finds posts, even though I know they are a pain to get together.
Best Wishes,
Buckles

Will, actually have been working on it, having my old computer crash in May sort of messed up my files on hand for gathering my finds, I actually had to go back on my TNet posts and harvest some of the photos from the earlier posts. But, I will get a best of 09 post up eventually. May be in several segments, buttons, relics, and coins. It was a better year for me in variety than I previously thought and want to make the post at least representative of the better finds.

Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions