28 coins in the same hole and the newest one is a 1920!!!

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
I was hunting more of the yard that I found the indian and merc in the other day and wasnt having much luck. I figured I would give it another half an hour and then head home to wait on my 8in coil that was to be delivered by ups. As I was walking to my car, I was working the strip between the sidewalk and the road when I got a good penny/dime signal that was reading about 6in deep. I thought it would be nice to at least dig a wheatie before going home and so I cut my plug. When I pull a plug on a target deeper than 5in, the target is usually still in the hole and I have to dig more dirt out of the hole to get to it. So I dug down to about 7in and pulled the dirt out of the hole and put it on my dropcloth. As I was reaching back into the hole to retrieve the rest of the loose dirt, I noticed a penny laying in the spoil pile and then realized there was about 6 of them that I could see! All I could think is "Man these better not be memorials" and picked one of them up to see what I had going. The penny that I picked up was dirty but I could tell that it was a wheatie. I finished cleaning the rest of the dirt out of the hole and soon seen about 6 or 7 more of them in that handfull. At this point I was totally freaking out thinking that I might be digging up a roll of wheaties or something.
I took my sunray and rechecked the bottom of the hole and I was still getting signals down at 8in. I took my digger and cut out a smaller plug at the bottom of my hole as to get the rest of the dirt broke up. As I was pulling the loose soil out of the hole I noticed a big silver laying in my hand with some more pennies. I stopped and gathered up all the coins that I had found and placed them on my clean cloth and promptly filled my hole and called it a day without even knowing the age of or total of my finds. I told myself to wait until getting home to look at what I had!
Once I got home and laid everything out, I could tell that I had a total of
25 pennies, 2 V-nickels, and a barber half. Later while cleaning the coins, I realized that there was 3 indian heads mixed up with all the wheaties and the newest coin being a 1920. Earlier while collecting all of the coins out of the hole, I noticed small pieces of iron and kept the ones I found thinking it was part of whatever held these coins over 85 years ago.
Being that these coins were protected for sometime inside whatever kind of container or pouch until it deteriorated and that they were all laying against eachother, alot of these only took minimal cleaning and most ended up looking pretty nice after some soaking and scrubbing with a plastic bristled brush along with a dremel brush and polisher. This is the biggest group of coins that I have ever found in one hole and to have a barber half in the mix along with two V-nickels made it simply awesome in my book!
The total rundown of all the coins is as follows:
1900-S Barber half
1906, and 1910 V-nickels
1896, 1901, and 1903 Indian head cents
Wheaties were: 1-1911
1-1913-D
4-1916's
1-1916-S
2-1918's
2-1919's
1-1919-S
4-1919-D's
5-1920's
1-1920-D

Attachments

• IMG_1202.jpg
    IMG_1202.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 7,989
  • IMG_1198.jpg
    IMG_1198.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 7,989
  • IMG_1206.jpg
    IMG_1206.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 7,951
Upvote 0
MD Dog said:
I've been around for at least a year and I don't klnow what's up Johnny but I hope your not right. :icon_scratch:
Ahh, i'm just a little cranky! I think everyone got my hopes up on the whole banner thing. Theres been some nice finds since mine and hopefully they will get the due credit by making banner. Its just funny how some things make it and others dont. As long as I inspired someone to get out and dig then thats good enough for me!!

Wow, killer haul!!

That's a week or two of groceries back then. If it was just the pennies and nickles I would say no banner but the barber half being in there, I do say banner.

Way to go !

Keep @ it and HH!!

Johnny, I love these coin spill finds; and to find so many in one hole, WOW!!!!!

Your find should make the banner, you deserve it for such a cool find. I made the banner and I have no idea how I did it. I don't know what the process is. I'm sure certain members send messages to the moderators to check out a certain find. I'm sure that all is fair. This is probably the least political site regarding treasure hunting. Some of the other sites are a who you know site if you want to get anywhere.

I think I would have passed out finding that many nice coins in one hole. They would have had to have taken me off the field in an stretcher. I still get all excited when I find a single Wheat Cent.

Congratulations on your new find.

HH

Johnny,
I could''ve sworn I posted to this...........................I have a few words to say......

1) Awesome

2) I don't know whether you got it on film or not, but that would've made it Awesome x10

3)Why the heck is this not on the BANNER? C'mon on now, if anything deserves it, this does.

Johnny, Congrats.

This what metal detecting dreams are made of!
Good Hunt!

I would be checking that hole again! Great finds - congrats!

I can tell you without a doubt if I found that someone would have to be calling 911!!!

Great finds. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy!

You've done it again.. Last year it was the Yard of Dreams, with all that old silver (I can't remember if that one made the banner).

Now a coin purse cache that's a knock-a-homa for sure.

WTG, Johnny! Banner time..

Fantastic story and finds...congrats on the banner. Well deserved.

NJ

See, I told you all hope was not lost!!

Congrats on making the BANNER!!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

WOOOO HOOOO!!! That just made a crappy day get a whole lot better!!! Thanx to all of you that was pulling for me, I now have the honor of a banner shot. I was happy just to read all of your posts on this topic. Yes, I wish that I could have got this on video, but it would've all been blurry once I noticed all the coins laying in the dirt anyway. I dont think I had a steady hand for a little while after that! Thanks again for all the kind words.
You guys and gals ROCK!!! 8)

wow!

Those Indians and even the wheats look amazing to have been in the gound so long. Congrats man. You should get a frame and put them all in it. That is an amazing find:-)

-K

Wow ! Good cache, what a great day for you and thanks
for shareing with us to Bro !

Robin

Congrats on making TN's banner Johnny! I hope you don't mind me calling you BB from now on. (BannerBoy) ;D

Now I have yet another set goal. Somehow, I've got to beat this find............. ugh. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back