What's new

28 coins in the same hole and the newest one is a 1920!!!

Johnny Ringo Silver

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2007
Messages
885
Reaction score
7
Golden Thread
0
Location
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
I was hunting more of the yard that I found the indian and merc in the other day and wasnt having much luck. I figured I would give it another half an hour and then head home to wait on my 8in coil that was to be delivered by ups. As I was walking to my car, I was working the strip between the sidewalk and the road when I got a good penny/dime signal that was reading about 6in deep. I thought it would be nice to at least dig a wheatie before going home and so I cut my plug. When I pull a plug on a target deeper than 5in, the target is usually still in the hole and I have to dig more dirt out of the hole to get to it. So I dug down to about 7in and pulled the dirt out of the hole and put it on my dropcloth. As I was reaching back into the hole to retrieve the rest of the loose dirt, I noticed a penny laying in the spoil pile and then realized there was about 6 of them that I could see! All I could think is "Man these better not be memorials" and picked one of them up to see what I had going. The penny that I picked up was dirty but I could tell that it was a wheatie. I finished cleaning the rest of the dirt out of the hole and soon seen about 6 or 7 more of them in that handfull. At this point I was totally freaking out thinking that I might be digging up a roll of wheaties or something.
I took my sunray and rechecked the bottom of the hole and I was still getting signals down at 8in. I took my digger and cut out a smaller plug at the bottom of my hole as to get the rest of the dirt broke up. As I was pulling the loose soil out of the hole I noticed a big silver laying in my hand with some more pennies. I stopped and gathered up all the coins that I had found and placed them on my clean cloth and promptly filled my hole and called it a day without even knowing the age of or total of my finds. I told myself to wait until getting home to look at what I had!
Once I got home and laid everything out, I could tell that I had a total of
25 pennies, 2 V-nickels, and a barber half. Later while cleaning the coins, I realized that there was 3 indian heads mixed up with all the wheaties and the newest coin being a 1920. Earlier while collecting all of the coins out of the hole, I noticed small pieces of iron and kept the ones I found thinking it was part of whatever held these coins over 85 years ago.
Being that these coins were protected for sometime inside whatever kind of container or pouch until it deteriorated and that they were all laying against eachother, alot of these only took minimal cleaning and most ended up looking pretty nice after some soaking and scrubbing with a plastic bristled brush along with a dremel brush and polisher. This is the biggest group of coins that I have ever found in one hole and to have a barber half in the mix along with two V-nickels made it simply awesome in my book!
The total rundown of all the coins is as follows:
1900-S Barber half
1906, and 1910 V-nickels
1896, 1901, and 1903 Indian head cents
Wheaties were: 1-1911
1-1913-D
4-1916's
1-1916-S
2-1918's
2-1919's
1-1919-S
4-1919-D's
5-1920's
1-1920-D
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1202.webp
    IMG_1202.webp
    39 KB · Views: 8,066
  • IMG_1198.webp
    IMG_1198.webp
    79.5 KB · Views: 8,028
  • IMG_1206.webp
    IMG_1206.webp
    60 KB · Views: 7,992
Upvote 0
That is just an awesome find! It is something we all dream about. Congrats. WTG!!!

Continued HH,

Dr. Ace
 
what does it take to banner?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Your pictures of those coins in that dirt is just flat out AWSOME
SEEING THOSE COINS IN THAT DIRT IS WHAT I LIVE FOR, THANK YOU FOR POSTING
I THINK IM GOING TO GRAB MY DETECTOR AND GO FIND SOME MYSELF!!

TOO COOL!!!
 
dugdigger said:
what does it take to banner?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good question I've been here for a year and apparently I still don't know cause this in my book certainly warrants the Banner. But Maybe Marc isn't available, and I understand He reviews and decides what does or doesn't warrant the banner.
 
Awesome finds! My heart would've been in my throat! :thumbsup: HH
 
Ringo....That is fantastic..absolutely fantastic! You must be adjusting well to your new Minelab. :thumbsup:

Does your camera have video capabilities? :icon_scratch:
 
Banner for sure!! Man i love seeing just ONE old coin peeking out of the dirt let alone a hole pocketfull!!! Sweet!!!!!! awesome find
Jerry
 
Mona Lisa said:
Ringo....That is fantastic..absolutely fantastic! You must be adjusting well to your new Minelab. :thumbsup:

Does your camera have video capabilities? :icon_scratch:
Thanks Mona, and yes my camera does do videos but I was only expecting a wheatie and to turn it on after turning the plug just wouldnt have had the same effect as catching the whole thing. Also my screen is shattered because I accidently put the squeeze to it with my knee and its hard to tell whats in the frame. :tongue3:
 
Hey Johnny Ringo where are you out of in Kansas? I grew up in McPherson Co. myself, The Plummer.
 
Call me a Plumber said:
Hey Johnny Ringo where are you out of in Kansas? I grew up in McPherson Co. myself, The Plummer.
Miami county, not too far away 8)
 
Wow...That was one productive day for you Ringo. How big is that yard anyhow? That was a stash for a rainy day. How do you clean your coins? They look great...Congrats and HH Oh Yeah...Banner!!!
 
The SE can do amazing things! Really nice job on the coin spill! You must of been really excited! :thumbsup: ;D ;D
 
Those are some super sweet finds, Johnny. Congrats! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:wink: RR
 
Now that is one cool dig! Most I have ever found were 4 wheatys . Big congrats and I would check the spot one last time. :wink:
 
wyattrr said:
Wow...That was one productive day for you Ringo. How big is that yard anyhow? That was a stash for a rainy day. How do you clean your coins? They look great...Congrats and HH Oh Yeah...Banner!!!
It is a corner lot yard within 4 blocks of downtown so its a decent size. I cleaned these with soap and water using a heavier plastic bristle brush and also a dremel with a polishing brush when needed.
These cleaning methods arent recomended for higher grade coins but for what I had it was o.k. with me.
P.S. I think its a lost cause asking for banner. Seems they dont like it enough after 2,266 views and 100 replies that has seemed to give alot of people inspiration to go hunting. I'm beginning to think theres favoritism involved or something. I've seen some make the banner after only 4 replies but mine was apparently shoved to the back burner. Maybe I havent been around long enough! 8)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom