What's new

28 coins in the same hole and the newest one is a 1920!!!

Johnny Ringo Silver

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2007
Messages
885
Reaction score
7
Golden Thread
0
Location
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
I was hunting more of the yard that I found the indian and merc in the other day and wasnt having much luck. I figured I would give it another half an hour and then head home to wait on my 8in coil that was to be delivered by ups. As I was walking to my car, I was working the strip between the sidewalk and the road when I got a good penny/dime signal that was reading about 6in deep. I thought it would be nice to at least dig a wheatie before going home and so I cut my plug. When I pull a plug on a target deeper than 5in, the target is usually still in the hole and I have to dig more dirt out of the hole to get to it. So I dug down to about 7in and pulled the dirt out of the hole and put it on my dropcloth. As I was reaching back into the hole to retrieve the rest of the loose dirt, I noticed a penny laying in the spoil pile and then realized there was about 6 of them that I could see! All I could think is "Man these better not be memorials" and picked one of them up to see what I had going. The penny that I picked up was dirty but I could tell that it was a wheatie. I finished cleaning the rest of the dirt out of the hole and soon seen about 6 or 7 more of them in that handfull. At this point I was totally freaking out thinking that I might be digging up a roll of wheaties or something.
I took my sunray and rechecked the bottom of the hole and I was still getting signals down at 8in. I took my digger and cut out a smaller plug at the bottom of my hole as to get the rest of the dirt broke up. As I was pulling the loose soil out of the hole I noticed a big silver laying in my hand with some more pennies. I stopped and gathered up all the coins that I had found and placed them on my clean cloth and promptly filled my hole and called it a day without even knowing the age of or total of my finds. I told myself to wait until getting home to look at what I had!
Once I got home and laid everything out, I could tell that I had a total of
25 pennies, 2 V-nickels, and a barber half. Later while cleaning the coins, I realized that there was 3 indian heads mixed up with all the wheaties and the newest coin being a 1920. Earlier while collecting all of the coins out of the hole, I noticed small pieces of iron and kept the ones I found thinking it was part of whatever held these coins over 85 years ago.
Being that these coins were protected for sometime inside whatever kind of container or pouch until it deteriorated and that they were all laying against eachother, alot of these only took minimal cleaning and most ended up looking pretty nice after some soaking and scrubbing with a plastic bristled brush along with a dremel brush and polisher. This is the biggest group of coins that I have ever found in one hole and to have a barber half in the mix along with two V-nickels made it simply awesome in my book!
The total rundown of all the coins is as follows:
1900-S Barber half
1906, and 1910 V-nickels
1896, 1901, and 1903 Indian head cents
Wheaties were: 1-1911
1-1913-D
4-1916's
1-1916-S
2-1918's
2-1919's
1-1919-S
4-1919-D's
5-1920's
1-1920-D
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1202.webp
    IMG_1202.webp
    39 KB · Views: 8,066
  • IMG_1198.webp
    IMG_1198.webp
    79.5 KB · Views: 8,028
  • IMG_1206.webp
    IMG_1206.webp
    60 KB · Views: 7,992
Upvote 0
More pics.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1194.webp
    IMG_1194.webp
    138.7 KB · Views: 7,931
  • IMG_1195.webp
    IMG_1195.webp
    138.1 KB · Views: 7,925
  • IMG_1197.webp
    IMG_1197.webp
    112.9 KB · Views: 7,844
And more.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1209.webp
    IMG_1209.webp
    32.3 KB · Views: 7,749
  • IMG_1210.webp
    IMG_1210.webp
    33.4 KB · Views: 7,696
  • IMG_1211.webp
    IMG_1211.webp
    43.1 KB · Views: 7,640
Wow thats awesome congrats
 
Woo-Hoo!! Nice finds. Around 1920, that bunch of coins represented an hour's pay. You've got some coins with mint marks too. I know those are worth more than face value.
wagbert
 
Johnny, that is quite an amazing spill of coins you have found!! Wow!!! I bet you're right. There was something holding all of those coins for quite a while in the ground.

You're going to like your 8" coil too.

Major Congrats,
CAPTN SE
Dan
 
:thumbsup: That story will definately get the day dreams goin. Thumbs up on those finds. :icon_pirat:
 
OMG Johnny, I woulda fallen head first into that hole.. THAT IS ONE EXCELLENT FIND.. Holey Moley YOU lucky dog.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
That is a kewl pack of loot Mr. Johnny!
Great job! I'm still a looking for some halves, along with some gold coinage, along with more silver, alone ---- :)

GRB
 
I'm afraid I would have had to find a restroom if I had found a cache like that! Very very cool! :thumbsup:
 
Finding a bunch of old coins in one hole is a happy day for sure.They look great.
 
WTG....Awsome find
 
The metal parts you have look to be the remnants of the clasp to a coin purse . Some of the coins also look to have leather stuck to them . So I'd say these coins were in a leather coin purse .
 
That's everyones dream find. WTG Which 8 inch coil did you get. I am looking at some hav'nt chosen one yet.
JDD
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom