What's new

28 coins in the same hole and the newest one is a 1920!!!

Johnny Ringo Silver

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2007
Messages
885
Reaction score
7
Golden Thread
0
Location
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
I was hunting more of the yard that I found the indian and merc in the other day and wasnt having much luck. I figured I would give it another half an hour and then head home to wait on my 8in coil that was to be delivered by ups. As I was walking to my car, I was working the strip between the sidewalk and the road when I got a good penny/dime signal that was reading about 6in deep. I thought it would be nice to at least dig a wheatie before going home and so I cut my plug. When I pull a plug on a target deeper than 5in, the target is usually still in the hole and I have to dig more dirt out of the hole to get to it. So I dug down to about 7in and pulled the dirt out of the hole and put it on my dropcloth. As I was reaching back into the hole to retrieve the rest of the loose dirt, I noticed a penny laying in the spoil pile and then realized there was about 6 of them that I could see! All I could think is "Man these better not be memorials" and picked one of them up to see what I had going. The penny that I picked up was dirty but I could tell that it was a wheatie. I finished cleaning the rest of the dirt out of the hole and soon seen about 6 or 7 more of them in that handfull. At this point I was totally freaking out thinking that I might be digging up a roll of wheaties or something.
I took my sunray and rechecked the bottom of the hole and I was still getting signals down at 8in. I took my digger and cut out a smaller plug at the bottom of my hole as to get the rest of the dirt broke up. As I was pulling the loose soil out of the hole I noticed a big silver laying in my hand with some more pennies. I stopped and gathered up all the coins that I had found and placed them on my clean cloth and promptly filled my hole and called it a day without even knowing the age of or total of my finds. I told myself to wait until getting home to look at what I had!
Once I got home and laid everything out, I could tell that I had a total of
25 pennies, 2 V-nickels, and a barber half. Later while cleaning the coins, I realized that there was 3 indian heads mixed up with all the wheaties and the newest coin being a 1920. Earlier while collecting all of the coins out of the hole, I noticed small pieces of iron and kept the ones I found thinking it was part of whatever held these coins over 85 years ago.
Being that these coins were protected for sometime inside whatever kind of container or pouch until it deteriorated and that they were all laying against eachother, alot of these only took minimal cleaning and most ended up looking pretty nice after some soaking and scrubbing with a plastic bristled brush along with a dremel brush and polisher. This is the biggest group of coins that I have ever found in one hole and to have a barber half in the mix along with two V-nickels made it simply awesome in my book!
The total rundown of all the coins is as follows:
1900-S Barber half
1906, and 1910 V-nickels
1896, 1901, and 1903 Indian head cents
Wheaties were: 1-1911
1-1913-D
4-1916's
1-1916-S
2-1918's
2-1919's
1-1919-S
4-1919-D's
5-1920's
1-1920-D
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1202.webp
    IMG_1202.webp
    39 KB · Views: 8,066
  • IMG_1198.webp
    IMG_1198.webp
    79.5 KB · Views: 8,028
  • IMG_1206.webp
    IMG_1206.webp
    60 KB · Views: 7,992
Upvote 0
SUPER FIND I have done that but my coins were all common Lincolns...
 
LUCKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! KOD!!!!
 
Deffinately a Cache! Someone a long time ago put all those coins in that ground tryng to "save for a rainy day" or something. There's no telling how many of those such earthbound coin vaults are still out there to be found, so many were squirrled away and hidden then forgotten about or lost for one reason or another. It's always exciting to hear about someone finding one of those little caches.. like you did.. and I'll have to guess it's a LOT MORE EXCITING to actually be the person who finds them! I'm still in the first category myself.. reading or hearing about OTHER people finding them.. <grin> One of these days though.. one of these days!

Congratulations dude!


Happy Hunting!

Frodov
 
Man, thats the kind of hole in the ground I like. Its been a long time since I've seen one like that.
 
Somebody got in trouble over that pocket spill LOL. Good find and hope for many more :thumbsup:
 
Now that's simply AWESOME!!
:wav: :wav:
Joe
 
LOL.....Somebody drug this back up. Thanks for all the kind words!! It was truly one of my most memorable holes. 8)
 
that is an awesome hole! you must have freaked when you saw all those coins come out!
 
Holy smokes!!!!!!!!! In addition to finding a small hoard, all of those coins are in beautiful shape! Congrats!!!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
All I can say is WOW!!!
What Amazing finds you made.
That is really incredible that you found all those coins in the same hole.

Some little kid probably buried them there.

Super Cool!!!

Rob ~ Out
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom