What's new

28 coins in the same hole and the newest one is a 1920!!!

Johnny Ringo Silver

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2007
Messages
885
Reaction score
7
Golden Thread
0
Location
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
I was hunting more of the yard that I found the indian and merc in the other day and wasnt having much luck. I figured I would give it another half an hour and then head home to wait on my 8in coil that was to be delivered by ups. As I was walking to my car, I was working the strip between the sidewalk and the road when I got a good penny/dime signal that was reading about 6in deep. I thought it would be nice to at least dig a wheatie before going home and so I cut my plug. When I pull a plug on a target deeper than 5in, the target is usually still in the hole and I have to dig more dirt out of the hole to get to it. So I dug down to about 7in and pulled the dirt out of the hole and put it on my dropcloth. As I was reaching back into the hole to retrieve the rest of the loose dirt, I noticed a penny laying in the spoil pile and then realized there was about 6 of them that I could see! All I could think is "Man these better not be memorials" and picked one of them up to see what I had going. The penny that I picked up was dirty but I could tell that it was a wheatie. I finished cleaning the rest of the dirt out of the hole and soon seen about 6 or 7 more of them in that handfull. At this point I was totally freaking out thinking that I might be digging up a roll of wheaties or something.
I took my sunray and rechecked the bottom of the hole and I was still getting signals down at 8in. I took my digger and cut out a smaller plug at the bottom of my hole as to get the rest of the dirt broke up. As I was pulling the loose soil out of the hole I noticed a big silver laying in my hand with some more pennies. I stopped and gathered up all the coins that I had found and placed them on my clean cloth and promptly filled my hole and called it a day without even knowing the age of or total of my finds. I told myself to wait until getting home to look at what I had!
Once I got home and laid everything out, I could tell that I had a total of
25 pennies, 2 V-nickels, and a barber half. Later while cleaning the coins, I realized that there was 3 indian heads mixed up with all the wheaties and the newest coin being a 1920. Earlier while collecting all of the coins out of the hole, I noticed small pieces of iron and kept the ones I found thinking it was part of whatever held these coins over 85 years ago.
Being that these coins were protected for sometime inside whatever kind of container or pouch until it deteriorated and that they were all laying against eachother, alot of these only took minimal cleaning and most ended up looking pretty nice after some soaking and scrubbing with a plastic bristled brush along with a dremel brush and polisher. This is the biggest group of coins that I have ever found in one hole and to have a barber half in the mix along with two V-nickels made it simply awesome in my book!
The total rundown of all the coins is as follows:
1900-S Barber half
1906, and 1910 V-nickels
1896, 1901, and 1903 Indian head cents
Wheaties were: 1-1911
1-1913-D
4-1916's
1-1916-S
2-1918's
2-1919's
1-1919-S
4-1919-D's
5-1920's
1-1920-D
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1202.webp
    IMG_1202.webp
    39 KB · Views: 8,066
  • IMG_1198.webp
    IMG_1198.webp
    79.5 KB · Views: 8,028
  • IMG_1206.webp
    IMG_1206.webp
    60 KB · Views: 7,992
Upvote 0
A FANTASTIC find documented with FANTASTIC photos! That's what it's all about for me. :thumbsup:

You deserve this one, buddy.


BANNER recommendation sent.



-Buckleboy
 
Nice, talk about hitting a load! I need a find like that this weekend....high hopes, high hopes. Good luck!
 
this is one of the best ones.......good deal
 
Nice find, never had that many coins from the same hole.

HH Robert
 
WTG I found 6 pennies in one hole once but, you ROCK.
 
Thank you again everyone for the kind words! You guys make my find even better by just enjoying the story and pictures! I wish a find like this for all of you out there wherever you might be!! Nothing could have ruined my mood today with this still fresh in my mind. And by the way, YES....I did get it all! I checked and rechecked the hole before I left. Believe me, I wasnt about to leave one behind!! ;D :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1213.webp
    IMG_1213.webp
    54.5 KB · Views: 5,981
Holy smokes, that's fantastic!!! A major congrats to you my friend. WTG! :thumbsup:

Cheers and HH,
B
 
BB (banner bump)
 
I can honestly say that sometimes i have dreams about this type of find. The key word in this sentence is "dreams". :D Congrats to you on the "reality" of such a great find. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
OK so you found more in one hole than I'll find all year ;D Congrats on a great find. Those Liberty nickels came out really nice. I bet you were some excited to pull them out of that hole.
 
What a pocket spill, or a kid's buried treasure. Either way, it was a super find. WTG :thumbsup:
 
Wow, Johnny, what a sweet find! :thumbsup: Love the Barber half. Great story and great pics. Keep digging!
 
Evolution said:
I can honestly say that sometimes i have dreams about this type of find. The key word in this sentence is "dreams". :D Congrats to you on the "reality" of such a great find. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I keep redreaming it over and over again! I just cant believe this was all lost over 85 years ago!! 8)
 
most likely you got some gals change purse stash of her "daily" pay --her daily money that she carried with her --for buying "everyday" household supplies and stuff --big money was left at home but a dollar or so was carried to buy things at the store-----for the daily meals--folks often shopped daily or every couple days at least -- them lil ole change purses in a dress pocket (or in some cases the women carried it in their bras) were carried around so that women did not to carry lug a big heavy purse about with them --- my old granny used to tote a lil change purse of that type. --it some how fell out of her pocket . --- I bet she was heart broken a whole days pay gone --- for a gal 85 cemts was easily a days wages in the 20's -- a man only got about $1 a day as a "laborer" in the 20's and woman were not paid as much as men--- if married you can be sure she she caught heck being so careless & losing it --it would be like your wife losing a days pay today -- say equal to $85 or so -- a mams rate of pay in 1920was say 12 1/2 cents per hour x 8 equals = 1 buck a day .
 
Super nice find!

It's on the banner I carry around in my head, for sure.

Great story & pics, Ringo. I got my thrill through your post & now I don't have to go hunting today.

Yeah, right! I'm grabbing my detector & heading out now. You inspired me!

Congrats!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom