Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is everything I have dug since saturday, several long hunts, lots of hours, no great producing sites, just a lil here and there.
Saturday I hunted fields all day with Erich, I got 3 indians 1864 x 2, and 1880, a crotal bell, suspender buckle, toe taps, 2 clay marbles a plastic button that was on the surface, it is dated 1851, no idea about this one? Also got the tax token.

Sunday met up with Jim and we went knocking doors, not a good day at all, the most heartbreaking find of the day was a railroad smashed penny, I thought it was a wheat, till I cleaned it at home and realized it was a CW token....what a heart breaker, look at the pic! uuuggggHHH makes me sick! Nothing else but clad and wheats. I included a pic of what the CW token USED to look like!

DSC02867.jpg

Monday after work I went with Jim knocking doors again, got 3 silvers, rosie, merc and the sterling ring....and once again another heartbreaker, got a deep signal and fought over ten minutes to get this out of the roots.......WORLDS WORSE AND MOST ABUSED LARGE CENT!!! seriously, who does this to a coin? And it had great detail before they destroyed it!!!!

DSC02859.jpg

Tuesday Jim and I hit the fields again, and once again, bad nite, came home with 6 cents, a war nickel and a wheat.....wow, it was a rough few days, 20+ hours to get this pile of goodies!

DSC02861.jpg

DSC02862.jpg

DSC02863.jpg

DSC02864.jpg

Upvote 6

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250
Nice finds... That really sucks about the CW token, but you have some great saves!

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds as always ! Congrats and keep them coming !
Glen

coinhound

Sep 26, 2012
Northwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra VX3, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Whites Prizm 5G, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nothing here to be shameful of. Congrats, some very nice finds. Sure wish that my MD would find them there clay marbles. :laughing7:

Ground Inspector

Feb 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
18" Excelerator Coil
Minelab CTX 3030
06 Smart Coil
17 Smart Coil
Garret Propointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Double 1864! Congrats

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! The LC has an interesting story for sure, It was defiantly more important for them to use it that way, than as a coin. The CW token is great too!

Krosp1718

Greenie
Sep 10, 2012
Federal Way
Detector(s) used
:(
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Is that Goodyear a rubber button? I seem to remember family thinking those to be quite a find.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Collectively, really nice finds. I eyed a Goodyear rubber button last year laying in a plowed field here in SW Georgia. I've been told that they are rare & hard to find because the detector will not pick them up. I'd be interested in seeing what the front of that button looks like. Yours is the only other one that I've seen.

RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't know, I dug either an 1800 or 1805 DB LC this weekend which was cut even more than yours. Imaging someone took a large cent, cut off the edges, then cut it in half with a pair of snips. The worst part is, like yours, it was in REALLY good condition. Oh well! There will be others! Nice saves though :D

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow someone hated that large cent! Or, maybe they just needed to buy something that cost an eighth of a cent. Also, "google search" dug goodyear button and the one I dug a while back pops up, first 2 results. Mine was all rubber. You must have hit on the shank. Great digs!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow someone hated that large cent! Or, maybe they just needed to buy something that cost an eighth of a cent. Also, "google search" dug goodyear button and the one I dug a while back pops up, first 2 results. Mine was all rubber. You must have hit on the shank. Great digs!
The goodyear button was an eyeball find, Laying right on the surface of the field site I was at

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your title on the LC is appropriate! That CW token is great, regardless of condition. The Goodyear button is a real keeper. Scarce buttons to find. They are mid-1800s items. There was an article about them in either NS Trader or American Digger about them a while back. Can't remember the title of the article, but it dealt with rubber and gutta percha CW era finds.

Great stuff!

-Buck

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
That LC has a story behind it. Who did that? A Civil War Soldier with his pocket change, or a 10 year old kid, missing his dad and uncle at the war. The possibilities are endless.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a good pile of goods to me! That time you hunted flew by

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread