3 Seated Night!

staydetuned

Aug 27, 2007
San Francisco, California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
I flew down to So. Cal. last week to pick up a new car. Only detected once down there, at my back-pocket Orange County adobe site, with my dad. While it was nice to get out to an old spot (and get a sunburn!), we didn't get any coins or doodads of note.

Of course I saved a day to meander back up to SF with a couple spots to hit on the way. The first old park I stopped at was BEAT TO DEATH. Tried one more spot on the way that was equally dead, only I had to dig into rock-like ground for my shredded can parts. Fun!

The last spot I arrived at around 1:30 in the morning. Gold Coin Man, Tom_in_CA had given me a heads up on a sidewalk tear-out, and I thought I would help him out by "checking up on it" on the way home :laughing7: It was a little tough and iron infested, but my second target was a clean 1897 V Nickel an inch under the surface. I got excited, but not much showed as I made it to the end of the walk. And it was getting late.

On my turn back toward the car I started getting some signals, including another V Nickel deeper than the first, an 1899. I kept my discrimination on in conductive mode, and was getting no threshold at all through the iron. But now I was starting to zero in on the slightest conductive signals, eking them out with the tiniest of wiggles. Finally I got a nice tone and dug through the hard surface layer of compact gravel to the soft dirt beneath. At 4-5 inches I had a coin in my hand. In the overhead light I saw right away it was a seated, 1877, and a flash of energy went through me - all right, this trip wasn't for nothing!

Next signal, 10 inches away... Same sound, same depth... Another seated, too worn to tell...

About this time I told myself "Well, my scouting work is done. I can't sit here all night and mop up Tom's site. Plus it's 2:30 and I still have 4 hours of driving ahead of me, a shower and hopefully a 3 hour nap before I have to work at 11AM." So I fast scanned all the way back to the car and dug only a couple more targets. At the corner by where I parked was some dirt I'd initially ignored, so I checked it. Got a crappy, nully signal barely coming through. Kicked some dirt away and it cleared up nicely. Dug down and, very much to my surprise, pulled out yet another seated dime, a very nice 1872. Beautiful... The most seateds I've dug in one night! I found out later Tom had already hit it, and he got some the next night as well, so I didn't feel too bad. Thanks Tom!

Anyone know what the large object on the upper left is? Pretty sure it is an automobile part, but what?

Post-08-29-11-01.jpg

Post-08-29-11-02.jpg

Post-08-29-11-03.jpg

Anyhow, thanks for looking and, if you've made it this far, thanks for reading!

Happy hunting!

Upvote 0

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That's a nice trio of seated you got there. Great job!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Very Nice! Great hunt! That old ring sure is neat looking!

Trokair

Mar 26, 2010
Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. That 72' seated looks really good too.

turf_aholic

May 5, 2009
PNW
At 4-5 inches I had a coin in my hand. In the overhead light I saw right away it was a seated, 1877, and a flash of energy went through me - all right, this trip wasn't for nothing!

Amazing to be eeking those deeper signals out at +4 inches in that iron infested ground.

Nice work!!!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right on Jayson!!Gotta love them "backpocket",sites :thumbsup:

jcooking

Feb 28, 2010
Montana
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro, Sunray X-1 probe
Garrett AT Gold
Congrats, that is a lot of work! You better take a seat!

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.
Now that's a trifecta!!! :headbang: :headbang: :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
staydetuned

staydetuned

Aug 27, 2007
San Francisco, California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
Thank you everyone for the kind replies! :icon_thumright: It was a blast getting those three lovely ladies; hopefully I can get back there and see if any more are hiding...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread