39 Round Balls in One Hole, Copper disc

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a couple hours the other day and decided to go hunt for a 1700s fort site. I walked up to the top of a steep hill with a nice flat spot on top. Got some iron signals up there but nothing significant. Then I hit a weird little signal and dug this very deep copper disc. Worst I've ever seen
image.jpg
image.jpg
Soooooooo I was left thinking that this wasn't the spot. Just not enough there. I started detecting down the hillside and got a couple of solid signals right next to eachother. Dug down and found a round ball. Stuck my propointer in and found another. Kept on checking and out they came. 39 of them in all. Not all the same size which I thought was a bit odd. I was also surprised that they weren't spread around more. They were in a fairly small area. So now I'm just not sure if I'm in the right spot or not :tongue3:
image.jpg
When I first started detecting I absolutely loved finding musket balls. Now they're just more of a wasted good signal. This "spill" was a pretty neat find though.
After this I walked to another small area with some early activity and pulled this button out of the iron
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 17
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd take the pile balls today instead of what I was produced from detecting.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah you take this merry band of misfits lol. But not to our secret spot. You save that one for me bud

You mean the secret spot? Or the REALLY REALLY secret spot?? Lol

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mean the secret spot? Or the REALLY REALLY secret spot?? Lol

Oh I wouldn't even speak of the SECRET SECRET spot on here bud lol. That's our special secret

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd take the pile balls today instead of what I was produced from detecting.

Yeah I haven't exactly been setting the world on fire with my finds lately. I've had no time at all which sucks cause the weather is so nice. I'm hoping for a full day hunt Friday. I'm talking like 10 hours lol. I want to find some damn coins before I get frozen out. Think I'm gonna order a new toy for the winter though. A shiny new coin microscope. Looks like a VERY fun toy. Good luck if you get out again

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some one dropped their ammo bag there long ago.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay, now wait a second. You can't tell him NOT to take us to your secret spot and then tell him he can't take us to the secret secret spot too! That's just being stingy! You can have the secret spot. Any other secret spots he wants to take us to is up to him. I don't even have to find much. Just be hunting in a spot where the possibility of something really old exists. A place where I feel like I have to dig everything cause any target might be a gem.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple of funny posts here.

I agree Abe, while I personally don't mind finding old musket balls, bullets in general don't interest me, as they are meant to be "thrown away", finding stuff people didn't meant to throw away (loose) is what I'm after.
So round balls, three ringers or what ever type of bullet , they are pretty much scrap lead. That said finding the guy's whole pouch full is def. a bit more interesting. Actually quite interesting considering the different sizes.

Best of all is this weather, and being able to hunt at all.

I did find a copper 2 days ago, but was a blank so didn't bother to post the short hunt.

HAPPY NEW YEAR !

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey is that my tree coin? I thought it was in my secret hiding place lol. You get the creative picture award my friend.

I guess we know where your secret hiding place is now, lol!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess we know where your secret hiding place is now, lol!

Ha ha the secrets out. I hope nobody comes looking for it lol

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah I haven't exactly been setting the world on fire with my finds lately. I've had no time at all which sucks cause the weather is so nice. I'm hoping for a full day hunt Friday. I'm talking like 10 hours lol. I want to find some damn coins before I get frozen out. Think I'm gonna order a new toy for the winter though. A shiny new coin microscope. Looks like a VERY fun toy. Good luck if you get out again

Starting to freeze up again, the soils by the water had an inch or two frozen solid then after that it was good. Dug some old bottles, broke the shovel, started to detect got a nice high tone, down 6 inches hit a big rock, got rock out, another 6 and by then I'm thinking ok I'm liking this, and out pops a piece of foil plate buried by a over zealous boy scout. Now this is just wrong why the hell did the leaders tell the pack to bury the garbage-PACK IT OUT I'm screaming to myself. Not much I can do as I own the little caches of trash now, but liking the three piece moulds and other old bottles and the occasional 1830-50's coinage.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah poor......right, w your deus your poor lol!!!

Poor for sure. You have no idea how long I saved up to buy a new metal detector. My first machine was a Minelab X-Terra 30 I bought at a garage sale for $20.00 back in December 2013. That got me going but I knew after a few weeks I wouldn't be happy with it for long. Not after I saw Smittyman's CTX3030. I bought a used V3i from Smittyman and used it for awhile and never took a shine to it. So I sold it and bought the Deus at a great price. We ate peanut butter and tomato soup for nearly 2 months but it was worth it.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We ate peanut butter and tomato soup for nearly 2 months but it was worth it.

I know your pain, I started w a bounty hunter tracker IV , that lasted 2 months, then an ace 350, that lasted 6 months then a atpro, now I got my eyes set on my next toy, and will work extra overtime to fund it lol!

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It takes alot of balls to make a post like this, so hopefully next time you can just talk Silver and copper but if not it was still a nice find.

LOL, Bill

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It takes alot of balls to make a post like this, so hopefully next time you can just talk Silver and copper but if not it was still a nice find.

LOL, Bill

Lol Bill. Yes I hope you're right and next time it will be some old silver or super old copper

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've got a lot of balls showing all that, nice find.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Poor for sure. You have no idea how long I saved up to buy a new metal detector. My first machine was a Minelab X-Terra 30 I bought at a garage sale for $20.00 back in December 2013. That got me going but I knew after a few weeks I wouldn't be happy with it for long. Not after I saw Smittyman's CTX3030. I bought a used V3i from Smittyman and used it for awhile and never took a shine to it. So I sold it and bought the Deus at a great price. We ate peanut butter and tomato soup for nearly 2 months but it was worth it.

Beez, Tom says the entourage you take with you is getting out of hand... The butler, masseuse and chauffeur are just ridiculous, lol. He understands the homeless guy you hire to dig your holes though.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope this isn't a big joke where I happen to be the only sucker taking the bait (no pun intended) but the balls with the splits are called split shot, and are used as fishing line weights. Still at all bait and tackle stores, at least down South. The other finds are cool though, Abe.

Okay, bracing for the laughter...

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope this isn't a big joke where I happen to be the only sucker taking the bait (no pun intended) but the balls with the splits are called split shot, and are used as fishing line weights. Still at all bait and tackle stores, at least down South. The other finds are cool though, Abe.

Okay, bracing for the laughter...

No these are actually round balls. They're much bigger than split shot. The seam is a mold seam and you can also see where they cut the sprue off. I will post a close up pic tonight. They're much much bigger than they appear in the pics. Scouts honor

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread