39 Round Balls in One Hole, Copper disc

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a couple hours the other day and decided to go hunt for a 1700s fort site. I walked up to the top of a steep hill with a nice flat spot on top. Got some iron signals up there but nothing significant. Then I hit a weird little signal and dug this very deep copper disc. Worst I've ever seen
image.jpg
image.jpg
Soooooooo I was left thinking that this wasn't the spot. Just not enough there. I started detecting down the hillside and got a couple of solid signals right next to eachother. Dug down and found a round ball. Stuck my propointer in and found another. Kept on checking and out they came. 39 of them in all. Not all the same size which I thought was a bit odd. I was also surprised that they weren't spread around more. They were in a fairly small area. So now I'm just not sure if I'm in the right spot or not :tongue3:
image.jpg
When I first started detecting I absolutely loved finding musket balls. Now they're just more of a wasted good signal. This "spill" was a pretty neat find though.
After this I walked to another small area with some early activity and pulled this button out of the iron
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 17
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great assortment of recoveries Ahab!

I wish I could find a few musket balls like that around where I live. . . I can count the number I've found
during the last 8-years on one hand.

Since I know little about musket balls & such, what are the knife-like "slits" on several af the ones you found?
Is that a result of trimming the sprues? Just curious.

Again, great hunt!

Those "slits" would be where the seam is when you close the mould. It's really kind if cool to have something that's pressed into a mold then used to either find your dinner or kill your enemy. I actually have a couple of molds that were given to me by my grandfather

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cool... keep those separate if you didn't already mix them in to your others!

Yeah I always separate everything by site and then if I find a bunch of buttons or round alls together I separate those as well. Maybe one day it will be a huge pot of Mass silver and I can look at them together every night and recall that site and that dig. 48 Pine trees 38 oak trees and 28 willow trees :-)

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Musket balls come and go with me. I dug about a dozen in August and September, but haven't found one in at least two months. I still like finding them, especially the larger calibers (.58 and .69).

If you think about the fact that most diggers in this country will never find one, you'll always get a kick out of finding them! HH.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I actually found a round ball (my first and only) when up in NY this fall. I enjoyed finding it but admit I wasn't over the moon happy about it. So I can see how finding would be annoying when they hit like a coin. You probably need to give up hunting new sites like that one cause we certainly don't want you getting upset. Get back out there to your 17th century sites and quit whining.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually found a round ball (my first and only) when up in NY this fall. I enjoyed finding it but admit I wasn't over the moon happy about it. So I can see how finding would be annoying when they hit like a coin. You probably need to give up hunting new sites like that one cause we certainly don't want you getting upset. Get back out there to your 17th century sites and quit whining.
Yeah you're right bud. I hate having to go to theses new areas (1700-1800) lol. But I was in a hurry and only wanted to drive a few minutes. I'll be sure to get back to a nice early site next time. I think my 1607 area will be next. Maybe there some 1500s coin there. If I'm really in a pinch I hit up a Rev War era site. Decisions decisions decisions! It ain't easy being a northeast guys with a metal detector. If you guys would get rid of that damn Abe doll maybe I could find something cool

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh by the way Jay if you'd like some round balls I can pull a few out of my pail and send em out. You need any LCs or KGs? Just let me know lol.
And in goes a few more pins :-)

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I actually don't have any more room left for new pins. What I do now is pull them out and push them back in again. And no, I don't need any round balls. I'll eventually find a LC or KG coin. I'll have to take a trip up north to do it, but I'll find one by goodness.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well even though you use me as a pin cushion you're welcome here in the spring. If it makes you feel any better it's been a long time since I've found a decent old copper

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I feel ya...When I first started this hobby in March rusty iron relics thrilled me, then CW bullets,...Buttons... Now I get wood for silver coins.. Funny how snobby we get as we progress..lol

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I always separate everything by site and then if I find a bunch of buttons or round alls together I separate those as well. Maybe one day it will be a huge pot of Mass silver and I can look at them together every night and recall that site and that dig. 48 Pine trees 38 oak trees and 28 willow trees :-)

2qvzdkp.jpg

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey is that my tree coin? I thought it was in my secret hiding place lol. You get the creative picture award my friend.

Just think of it as my version of
Triumph :happysmiley:

Gonna be a long winter!

Attachments

• late-night-with-conan-obrien-triumph.jpg
    late-night-with-conan-obrien-triumph.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 68

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The drive up to your house would be 15 hours if you're in Topsham. So we would have to stay for about a week to make it worthwhile. We're all poor so we would have to camp out. Do you have property that would support this or is there perhaps a public campground nearby?

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, and we would be quite content hunting on 18th century sites. Giddy actually to be honest. I wouldn't want to find a pine tree coin cause I wouldn't want to leave if I did. Never found a LC, KG, seated coin etc. So you see where I'm coming from with that.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The drive up to your house would be 15 hours if you're in Topsham. So we would have to stay for about a week to make it worthwhile. We're all poor so we would have to camp out. Do you have property that would support this or is there perhaps a public campground nearby?

You can cut that in half and come hunt with me...I find lots of wheat cents!!!!
George

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread