What's new

A Few Pics From Monday

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2011
Messages
5,588
Reaction score
6,409
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The boss' nephew took the company truck over the weekend, and then didn't pick me up for work. So, got out and took a few pics while waiting for a ride to work this morning:

DSCN1577.webp

This little flower didn't want her picture taken (flower on the right).
DSCN1572.webp

DSCN1569.webp

There's beauty in all creation . . . evidence of intelligent design.
DSCN1565.webp
 
Really sweet! I have those little daisy type wild flowers. Well, I will, when winter lets go. What is that last one?
 
Really sweet! I have those little daisy type wild flowers. Well, I will, when winter lets go. What is that last one?

In Cajun French we call them Chadron ... good eating, if you like the taste of celery.

In English, they are called Thistles.
 
In Cajun French we call them Chadron ... good eating, if you like the taste of celery.

In English, they are called Thistles.

No way! That's a thistle? You certainly transformed that painful beast into a work of art! :notworthy:. :icon_thumleft: :thumbsup: .:icon_thumright: :wav:

I also didn't know it was edible. I want to try one. What part(s) do you eat?

P.S. you are teaching me French.
 
Last edited:
No way! That's a thistle? You certainly transformed that painful beast into a work of art! :notworthy:. :icon_thumleft: :thumbsup: .:icon_thumright: :wav:

I also didn't know it was edible. I want to try one. What part(s) do you eat?

P.S. you are teaching me French.

First of all, I've never eaten one personally (I absolutely hate celery), but I had one guy in my crew (when I did construction) who kept them cleared out of our lumber yard. As I remember, he would strip down the stalk and eat that.

Here is the same thistle from a different angle
DSCN1567.webp
 
I am going to have to research it. I am on a quest to find all the edible plants I have on the farm. I've got raspberries, blackberries, mulberries, apples, and paw paws. It's just some good information to have. I'm not a big fan of celery either, but I don't know what the future may hold.
 
I am going to have to research it. I am on a quest to find all the edible plants I have on the farm. I've got raspberries, blackberries, mulberries, apples, and paw paws. It's just some good information to have. I'm not a big fan of celery either, but I don't know what the future may hold.

HOPE for the best.PREPARE for the worst.
 
Gosh, I hate thistle...I really do. We keep it under control in the pastures or anywhere we see on our property. It will cripple a cow if stepped on and bedded in the fleshy part of hoof. It has to be dug up and disposed of properly. My son stripped one and cut for me to taste, yes taste sorta like celery and crunchy. I'm not a celery eater, so not to my taste buds, He did say, that the Indians ate it all the time. I have a cousin who cuts up into salads.
 
Nice article, kinda makes me homesick ... not for what that area is now, but for what it was back when . . .

EDIT: Just a side note, not all Indians like it. You heard dat from a Member of the United Houma Nation.

Be well.
 
Last edited:
I am going to have to research it. I am on a quest to find all the edible plants I have on the farm. I've got raspberries, blackberries, mulberries, apples, and paw paws. It's just some good information to have. I'm not a big fan of celery either, but I don't know what the future may hold.

Don't forget the Cattails ...

View attachment 1576203

Contrary to what Jeff Gordon might tell you, while parts are edible, they are not wild corn dogs. No amount of mustard will make them tasty.

If memory serves, you can make a sort of flour with the top part, and the roots are kind of potato like.
 
Don't forget the Cattails ...

View attachment 1576203

Contrary to what Jeff Gordon might tell you, while parts are edible, they are not wild corn dogs. No amount of mustard will make them tasty.

If memory serves, you can make a sort of flour with the top part, and the roots are kind of potato like.

what ELSE have I been doing wrong?
 
Good to see you're still kickin. So, are you still playing the banjo?
 
Last edited:
not according to audience reaction
 
Nice upgrade on the avatar jeff-gordon. A comedian for a comedian. :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom