A funny story concerning another CRHer today!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A funny story concerning another CRH'er today!

Hi all, this is the first time I've come across another CRH'er dumping, it was quite funny, at least to me... here's how it went...

I was at the coin machine dumping half dollars, the bag fills up at $100, and a guy walks in behind me with a penny box... the penny box was filled with nickels as later discovered when he started dumping after I was done...

As he saw me dumping halves, I saw the anxious look in his eyes, I immediately knew he was a CRH'er.
While dumping, he walks up asking so desperately to buy my half dollar dumps, he would not back down trying to buy them.
Quickly, he heads to the teller and asks for what I believe were "Big dollar coins" and half dollars referring to his hand signals at the teller.

As I was finishing up, and the teller changing my bag explaining to him for the 5th time that it was against policy to sell bags off the coin machine, I chime in...(talking to the teller, but purposely loudly because the older gentleman was listening and eyeing my half dollars)

"Yeah, these coins were from my grandfather who had been saving these coins for many years, some quite old, different designs and everything"

at this point, the guys face showed how desperate he was to purchase my half dollar bags... I know he did not get my half dollar dumps because it is policy not to sell the coin bags off the machine, but I think it is funny how he thinks my dumps are loaded with "older half dollars with different designs from my grandfather", this just made me laugh, I had to bust on this guy

:tongue3:

HH
Buff

Upvote 0

silvereyes

Jan 7, 2011
That's a good story. I bet the guy is still thinking about all those walkers and bens he missed out on today.
He probably will have dreams tonight about that big bag of silver.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
As I was finishing up, and the teller changing my bag explaining to him for the 5th time that it was against policy to sell bags off the coin machine, I chime in...(talking to the teller, but purposely loudly because the older gentleman was listening and eyeing my half dollars)

"Yeah, these coins were from my grandfather who had been saving these coins for many years, some quite old, different designs and everything"

Buff
Do you think that this teller knew you were just yanking the guy's chain? If not, you will eventually look like a liar to your teller when you go back again and again to dump halves there. The teller might get the idea that you take her/him for a fool by throwing that story out there. However, if the teller is in on the joke, no worries.

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
ohh Buff, that was me!
Wait, that was not really me, but I would definitely roll eyes if someone would have dumped a lot of CAN or US halves beside me :laughing7:.<- CRHter natural reflex!

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell the lurker to back off! Your packin heat

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think i went to the same bank today the guys are all nice there!!

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

This is EPIC! That guy is going to have a wet dream tonight about what could have been LOL!

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the first time at this bank, i don't plan on going back, it is out of my way, but if I do, so what? :)
Do you think that this teller knew you were just yanking the guy's chain? If not, you will eventually look like a liar to your teller when you go back again and again to dump halves there. The teller might get the idea that you take her/him for a fool by throwing that story out there. However, if the teller is in on the joke, no worries.

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the second highlight of my way was telling that guy desperate to buy my half dollar dump, you had to be there to see the look on his face- he must have been at least 60 too!

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"They didn't sound right either - all tingy, and high pitched when they clanked togeather. I am actually glad to get rid of them, they seemed too exotic to be US coins. I would have just taken 50 dollars for the whole bag to avoid the hassle too bad you weren't here before I started using this machine. Hey, can I get your number, I think I have a whole lot more. Some look like they were painted gold, but I know their are not 20 dollar coins, so I gave them out as Halloween favors" - - something along those lines would get me freakin' out.

I have a fun TRUE story - I was at the QFC getting groceries this week when BOTH the coinstar machines were in use. I lurked over to see the reject tray, and strike up a conversation. I tell them I interested that weird foreign money that keeps popping out. I actually spotted 2 silver rosies, in one man's tray and asked for them - the man obliged - JUST AT THAT MOMENT - my big fat greek neighbor, and fellow treasure hunter, comes over, and hollers "quit hassling the customers for their silver coins" - the coin star customer looks at me strangely, and thank him for the 20 cents, and dash off. I felt a little scummy.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
... i don't plan on going back, it is out of my way, but if I do, so what? :)

I'm not being critical, just a head's up in case you hadn't thought of the side effect. I'm sure that you could deal with whatever awkwardness might arise.

I suppose you could say "these were Grandma's coins." The next time after that, "wife's grandpa," then "wife's grandma." Or, just all business and no chit chat.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh my god that is great. HILARIOUS!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread