A lot of work... but I got my treasure!

PKennett

Oct 18, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm on leave from my overseas post, and am staying a few days in NW Ohio with my metal detector.
I went out today and searched a public park that was opened in 1909. I'm not from this town, but I am certain it has been searched heavily. I easily located lots of clads within 3 inches of the surface but really wanted something more exciting. I have a new Spectra V3i and decided to try it it's deep silver program. I lowered the response time, and started to sweep real slow while listening for a deep signal. After about 10 minutes I came across one that was promising coming in at 8 inches! I haven't seen anything deeper than 4, so this was exciting. I took out my trusty digging tool and stabbed it into the dirt. Wack! It was like concrete. The ground at this patch was dry clay, and digging was more like mining.

I rescanned and carefully pinpointed the exact spot so as to limit my work. After 10 minutes, and a large root to bore through, I finally had a 3" hole. Ok, I need a better tool. I didn't have my regular tools with me, but I was determined to get this coin! I drove 2 miles to a hardware store and bought a cheap hammer and long screwdriver. Back at the park I began to dig (mine). I dug for another 15 minutes and had a 3" x 7 inch hole. I inserted my probe and got a hit! It was still a small area, so I was convinced I had a coin and not a deep can. But there was a rock in the way. No blasting materials, so I went back to pounding my screwdriver. Finally, the rock came loose, and as I lifted it out I saw the dark dime sized coin. Woohoo!

But my hole was too small to fit my hand! With some effort I was able to slowly slide the tiny treasure up the side of the hole with the screwdriver, no small feat! I was finally able to grab it!

It was a coin!

It was not a dime.

After almost 30 minutes, a trip to the hardware store, and lots of sweat I am now the proud owner of a 1984 penny.

I'm glad I enjoy this hobby!

Upvote 0

mrtim

Jan 7, 2008
Nancy, KY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Spectra V3i HP, Whites MX Sport, Fisher F2, Bounty Hunter Quicksilver, Nokta/Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol, good story. Been there, Done that. And to think, some people claim they would never work for an average wage of 2 cents per hour. :laughing9:

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great story! :hello2:

yes, my day was more like mining also...I could have used blasting materials also :tongue3:

treasure that penny!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good story! We've all worked hard for a crushed can or deep clad from time to time. ;D

Only thing I would add and I hope most veteran detectorists know this: please don't cut through big roots to get at targets - no sense in damaging a living tree (or vegetation) for a target - dig around the root carefully and leave it intact for the sake of the tree. Damaging trees gives us all a bad reputation!

calbear

Jan 29, 2007
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, Eric Foster PI, White's gold detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been there and done that also ! But you were still out haviing a good day. :hello2:

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good diggin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread