What's new

A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

winslow

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2004
Messages
448
Reaction score
1,644
Golden Thread
2
Location
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 900
A Mini-Cache on

Ok … I’m still catching my breath from what is my most exciting coin(s) find ever. The first time I found a seated liberty half on the side of the hill I was ecstatic. I never had found one before in over 25 years of detecting. Finding 4 more seated liberty halfs in the same general area was just amazing. A total of 5 seated liberty halfs from the same general area …super.! This was over about 20 two to three hour visits to the site.

A few weeks ago I found an 1857 seated quarter. I was beginning to think I had the place pretty well done but every time I returned I was getting signals. Some of the stuff is pretty deep so it takes just the right swipe of the detector at the right angle. I’m digging those real “choppy” signals that in many cases turn out to be little pieces of lead or pieces of tin. Thanks goodness I have a probe! Lots of junk, but it’s been a productive obviously old site so I’ve been patiently returning and digging. Unfortunately, the site is covered with poison oak and I’m real sensitive to it even in the winter even after taking all the standard precautions. My body is beginning to think that it’s normal to have that rash and itch.

A couple of weeks ago I was at the site and decided to go back over a location that I had done before. I noticed a can piece sitting next to an old madrone tree. I removed the can and got a choppy good signal. Part of the can I thought. I took out my probe and found not an old square nail about 3 inches deep. That was it I thought. Swept the hole again and got a solid good signal. Hmmm. Dug down about 12 inches and my probe pointed to the side of the hole I dug at about 9 inches. I brushed some of the dirt away and saw what at first glance appeared to be about a 1 inch cylinder. My first thought was chrome pipe fitting. But wait it looks silver and has edges like a coin. Make that coins! Seven seated liberty halfs all stacked neatly together … unbelievable. Funny that it started raining pretty hard right around that moment but I didn’t notice. I found a seated dime in the same hole dated 1850 O.

Back in the 1870’s the average wage was around 9 cents an hour. This $3.60 mini-cache represented a weeks worth of wages for someone.

All those that suspected a cache of some sort on this site because of the 5 seated halfs were certainly right. Now I’m up to 12 seated halfs, a seated quarter and a seated dime along with lots of interesting buttons, buckles etc. from this location. It certainly pays to ask permission!



The other picture is some of the miscellaneous stuff I found at the site yesterday.
 

Attachments

  • seated mini dirt front.webp
    seated mini dirt front.webp
    21.2 KB · Views: 5,837
  • seated mini front.webp
    seated mini front.webp
    23.3 KB · Views: 5,851
  • seate 3-09.webp
    seate 3-09.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 5,689
Last edited:
Upvote 18
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

OMG OMG OMG OMG

I would have been doing the craziest chicken dance in that rain!!!!!!!!

I'm happy for you!

Paul
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

This truly IS a Banner find. Sounds like you got into a cache that was scattered by the plow.


Oh--and I guess you realize that you found the other half of your pre-war militia buckle!   :o  Does it match the other piece?  If so, can we see a photo of the two pieces interlocked together again for the first time in a century and a half?  Please?  Pretty please?   8)

I also think I see a name or some sort of markings scratched into the belt end of that part of the buckle. 



-Buckles
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

I vote banner. You have one place that is awesome. I would have to change my pants if I found all of those in one hole. BANNER YES.....Matt
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

I'm voting banner. :thumbsup:
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

Amazing. Nominated for banner... grats! :thumbsup: :tongue3: 8)
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

My MD dreams aren't even that good. Great job! :thumbsup:
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

i dont know what to say! thats incredible. huge congrats. willy.
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

Can I go hunting with you?....please???? I'll pay for dinner! (he thinks I am kidding!)

Unreal finds Winslow...the type of spot we all dream about!

Mucho congradulationo
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

Buckle boy I didn't really even think that this was the other other part. Thanks! Guess I was more focused on finding more coins. However it was about 15 ft from the first find. Here is the picture as requested... First time connected in 150 years! Wow!! :D

I'll have to clean it up a little better.
 

Attachments

  • buckle complete.webp
    buckle complete.webp
    13.1 KB · Views: 4,934
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

What a SCORE!! Most of us just dream of finding one seated half, and you found a whole roll of them in one swipe!!! Great job!

Ray
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

Awesome cache, congratulations! I can't imagine finding one seated half, much less seven altogether. That is truly the find of a lifetime. Maybe I missed something, but I can't for the life of me figure out why this cache took a couple of weeks to post. I'd be wanting to scream out the news to the world that same day! Maybe that's why it hasn't been elevated yet to banner status for "Today's Finds". The find itself is certainly banner worthy. Keep searching, you have to think there is more buried where this came from!
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

One Seated half in 25 years...exciting :thumbsup:

Finding four more before the days done...PRICELESS :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

SUNNAMABEECH
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

winslow said:
Buckle boy I didn't really even think that this was the other other part. Thanks! Guess I was more focused on finding more coins. However it was about 15 ft from the first find. Here is the picture as requested... First time connected in 150 years! Wow!! :D

I'll have to clean it up a little better.

Well...I guess the two pieces don't match exactly in terms of detail--but it still makes one Hell of a presentation piece.

By the way, if you're still finding pieces of brass that BIG in your site, it is FAR from worked out.

And this also means that you have a tongue from one buckle and the "wreath" piece to find from another at your site. So I'd say that's good news! :thumbsup:


-Buck
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

I think I like the buckle better than the coins. :thumbsup:
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

What an absolutley amazing story. Just the buckle by itself is a lifetime find, but all that silver leaves me speechless. I found 2 seated halves last year, and I thought that was alot, but after seeing how many you have found on "Seated Hill" makes me drool. Way to go, and i'd be hunting that hill in all metal and dig every signal!.

James.
HomesteadHunter.
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

I have been told there is silver buried next to a tree on this property i have been hunting,the only problem is there is a forest in the back yard.Your finds make me want to get after it full time.
Great job and keep after it.HH :wav:
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

Unbelievable,I have one seated coin(dime) in about ten years of hunting.
Way to go, keep them coming.
Barry.
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

Unbefreakinlievable man! Yeah I think you've got a serious cache buried around that area-

and at least you dont have to wonder where your going to go detecting for the next year or so

Theres a decent liklihood of there being a quantity of gold coins around the area as well so

continue to dig all - and thank the good lord continuously ! Argentium . BANNER !!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom