What's new

A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

winslow

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2004
Messages
448
Reaction score
1,644
Golden Thread
2
Location
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 900
A Mini-Cache on

Ok … I’m still catching my breath from what is my most exciting coin(s) find ever. The first time I found a seated liberty half on the side of the hill I was ecstatic. I never had found one before in over 25 years of detecting. Finding 4 more seated liberty halfs in the same general area was just amazing. A total of 5 seated liberty halfs from the same general area …super.! This was over about 20 two to three hour visits to the site.

A few weeks ago I found an 1857 seated quarter. I was beginning to think I had the place pretty well done but every time I returned I was getting signals. Some of the stuff is pretty deep so it takes just the right swipe of the detector at the right angle. I’m digging those real “choppy” signals that in many cases turn out to be little pieces of lead or pieces of tin. Thanks goodness I have a probe! Lots of junk, but it’s been a productive obviously old site so I’ve been patiently returning and digging. Unfortunately, the site is covered with poison oak and I’m real sensitive to it even in the winter even after taking all the standard precautions. My body is beginning to think that it’s normal to have that rash and itch.

A couple of weeks ago I was at the site and decided to go back over a location that I had done before. I noticed a can piece sitting next to an old madrone tree. I removed the can and got a choppy good signal. Part of the can I thought. I took out my probe and found not an old square nail about 3 inches deep. That was it I thought. Swept the hole again and got a solid good signal. Hmmm. Dug down about 12 inches and my probe pointed to the side of the hole I dug at about 9 inches. I brushed some of the dirt away and saw what at first glance appeared to be about a 1 inch cylinder. My first thought was chrome pipe fitting. But wait it looks silver and has edges like a coin. Make that coins! Seven seated liberty halfs all stacked neatly together … unbelievable. Funny that it started raining pretty hard right around that moment but I didn’t notice. I found a seated dime in the same hole dated 1850 O.

Back in the 1870’s the average wage was around 9 cents an hour. This $3.60 mini-cache represented a weeks worth of wages for someone.

All those that suspected a cache of some sort on this site because of the 5 seated halfs were certainly right. Now I’m up to 12 seated halfs, a seated quarter and a seated dime along with lots of interesting buttons, buckles etc. from this location. It certainly pays to ask permission!



The other picture is some of the miscellaneous stuff I found at the site yesterday.
 

Attachments

  • seated mini dirt front.webp
    seated mini dirt front.webp
    21.2 KB · Views: 5,837
  • seated mini front.webp
    seated mini front.webp
    23.3 KB · Views: 5,851
  • seate 3-09.webp
    seate 3-09.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 5,689
Last edited:
Upvote 18
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

Maybe it was a Cach explosion, Im amazed at the age and the big silver as well as the buckle, Truley a banner find story.
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

That is amazing..... 7 more seated halves. Incredible

Congrats on making the Banner.... Well deserved !!!!

Brian in MA
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

:icon_sunny:Wow. Super find. Most of us only dream of finding something that good. Congratulations!
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

Awesome Finds,i can't wait to see what else you find.

Nova Treasure
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

Nice finds!!!! :thumbsup:
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

Cool buckle.

Awesome dig winslow. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I wonder how much it would cost to move from NC to OR?
My best is 7 copper clad dollars in a whole with a broken tequila bottle.

Again i had to come back to this post just to ogle the silver after i first saw it.
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

WTG winslow! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Congrats on making the banner! Well deserved!!
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

One of the sweetest finds I've seen on TN. Couple of those halves look to be in excellent condition. Congrats on the banner
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

Holy cow!!!!!! :o
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

Congrats, Winslow. Fantastic finds.

Bob
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

OMG where is this field at again?? LOL. That is the most awsome thing I have ever seen, WTG cant wait to see more :thumbsup:

Cw
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

can you say Banner WOW what a find congrats :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

Awsome coins and buckle. You have my vote for banner.
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

Wow! Fantastic finds! I'm glad for you, but envious! ;D
Scott
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

Straight up awesome!!! :thumbsup:

Crevias
Keep Diggin!!!
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

I think I lost those last 7 coins. haha WTG
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

WOW, this is the best find I have seen on T net in awhile. I just love seated coins and to have found them in Oregon is extra special.
Marty
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

That is unreal!!
Great finds and congrats!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom