What's new

A point, a bead and????? Might be something very cool.

Pancake

Full Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2012
Messages
194
Reaction score
158
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mass.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Went out hunting after work. Found a nice little stemmed point, a few broken ones, a few scrapers and then what I believe is my first bead. I have not cleaned it and would like some advise on how to do so. It appears to be shell and I have no idea how they drilled such a small hole the whole way through it. The piece of plant was sticking out of it when I found it, almost like a string.

The other find is the big rock they are sitting on. It certainly looks worked. A mortar perhaps? It might be hard to see from the pics but both sides appear to have been ground down in the center. It could be just a rock but it's clearly from an area of occupation and I found a number of chips and a few shells underneath it as well as rocks that had certainly been in a fire. Any thoughts?

IMG_5200.webpIMG_5201.webpIMG_5203.webpIMG_5205.webpIMG_5204.webpIMG_5206.webp
 
Upvote 0
Your large rock is definitely a Mortar, or as some call them, a Metate. Really nice one too.

I need closer pics of the ends of the Bone piece to see if it is a Bead. Does it have any cut marks or is it polished. As far as cleaning it, I use a toothpick and very gently use that to clean the hole while holding it under running water. Just don't force it if it won't fit and clean out as best you can.
 
I was pretty sure it was a mortar but I'm glad to get the conformation. I was pretty excited when I found it.

Here are a few more pics of the bead. I do occasionally find deer bone fragments but they are usually brown/orange and in much worse shape than this piece. They practically crumble in your hand. Any clue as to what it is made out of? I only thought shell as it is very similar in color/texture to some of the bigger clam shells I find. If it helps, I am on the coast in Mass.

IMG_5210.webpIMG_5211.webpIMG_5212.webpIMG_5217.webpIMG_5219.webpIMG_5220.webp
 
That is a very nice metate! Looks like you had a great hunt!!!
 
Here's a few more pics of the Metate. Both sides were clearly used.

IMG_5223.webpIMG_5222.webp
IMG_5227.webpIMG_5228.webp
 
Very nice Metate.
 
Double sided Mortar is what they are called here. Very nice one too.
 
I don't think that's a Bead. I think Wyoming Valley Relics is correct and it's part of a stem off a Kaolin Pipe.
 
Just confirming the kaolin clay pipe stem piece.
 
I don't think that's a Bead. I think Wyoming Valley Relics is correct and it's part of a stem off a Kaolin Pipe.

Agreed. And the mortar is outstanding!

Kindest regards,

Monty
 
Awesome, thanks for the info. Hopefully I can find the rest of the pipe. I have a few free hours this afternoon and I'm definitely going to be spending them at this site. Any advice for cleaning/storing the pipe piece?
 
Just water and a toothpick and or toothbrush.
I don't do anything else with mine.
If you metal detect..I would hit that site.

View attachment ForumRunner_20130601_104030.png



ForumRunner_20130601_104546.webp

If you hunt the same site long enough you might get lucky and be able to piece one back together.
Good luck today.

ForumRunner_20130601_104813.webp
 
Yeah , fragments of Kaolin add up. The stems were usually really long and when they would get caked up with resin they would just snap off an inch from the end .
 
Yeah , fragments of Kaolin add up. The stems were usually really long and when they would get caked up with resin they would just snap off an inch from the end .

having tired to clean one of those...found in new condition...lots of smoking...they clog quick...break the first time you run a pipe cleaner through there.
 
it is a baby metate( little used)...great find...first one for you???

Yep, my first. I'm pretty excited about it.

Went back to the same site for a few hours today and found a nice stemmed quartz point but no more pipe pieces. I was able to clean out the piece from yesterday easily with a toothpick while running it under warm water. Thanks for the info guys.

It's so nice out that I'm going to go walk the beach for an hour or so. I've already had a great weekend of finds but there's always more out there :)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom