A real mystery here!

Ripcon

Sep 4, 2016
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this item today at my Union camp in west central Mississippi.
Any ideas? I've never seen anything like this before. Thanks for any assistance. unknown object from camp.JPG percussion capper.JPG

Last edited:

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Going by just the one photo you posted, your unknown object looks like it MIGHT be a civil war musket or pistol "percssion-capper"... a device which enabled the soldier to very quickly put a percussion-cap precisely in place onto the musket's nipple. The photos below show some modernday ones.

But, a photo from you to show us the object's other side could completely cancel my guess.

Attachments

• guntool_percussion-capper_MODERN_Ebay1.jpg
    guntool_percussion-capper_MODERN_Ebay1.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 102
  • guntool_percussion-capper_historicguns.co.uk_TN.jpg
    guntool_percussion-capper_historicguns.co.uk_TN.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 94
  • guntool_percussion-capper_MODERN_TN.jpg
    guntool_percussion-capper_MODERN_TN.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 799
Upvote 0

Deftone

Jan 10, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting piece. I dunno TCG. The way it narrows out like that toward the bottom. And the thingamajig stops at about the halfway point. I'm with you for more pics and info.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Ripcon

Sep 4, 2016
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just posted up the back side of the relic.
I found tons of minie balls where this piece was found. It sure looks like it could fit the description of a percussion capper.

Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Going by just the one photo you posted, your unknown object looks like it MIGHT be a civil war musket or pistol "percssion-capper"... a device which enabled the soldier to very quickly put a percussion-cap precisely in place onto the musket's nipple. The photos below show some modernday ones.

But, a photo from you to show us the object's other side could completely cancel my guess.

I believe you ID'd it Cannonball Guy. That's an interesting tool. New wrinkle in my brain. I had never heard of one before. Thanks for the education.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Ripcon

Sep 4, 2016
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much for helping with the I.d. On this one.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, at least the education about the civil war musket/pistol percussion-capper device will remain even if I have to cancel my ID guess. The brass object posted by Ripcon has a small knob at the end of a long narrow rectangular slot, as we also see on the percussion-capper. But now that he has posted a "backview" photo, it looks like the knob connects to a stud which holds a long flat piece of brass on the back of the object. That doesn't match up with a percussion-capper. What will tell us yes or no is the fact that a percussion-capper consists mostly of a long square tunnel, whose "business end" is hollow/open on one side, like a roof gutter. (Look closely at that end in the photo of the percussion-capper.) Ripcon, is that end of your object hollow/open, or just a flat piece of metal?

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first looked I thought "capper" as well.... but I'm not so sure now. My second thought is a small pocket scale, like a fisherman's scale type thing

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Ripcon

Sep 4, 2016
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, at least the education about the civil war musket/pistol percussion-capper device will remain even if I have to cancel my ID guess. The brass object posted by Ripcon has a small knob at the end of a long narrow rectangular slot, as we also see on the percussion-capper. But now that he has posted a "backview" photo, it looks like the knob connects to a stud which holds a long flat piece of brass on the back of the object. That doesn't match up with a percussion-capper. What will tell us yes or no is the fact that a percussion-capper consists mostly of a long square tunnel, whose "business end" is hollow/open on one side, like a roof gutter. (Look closely at that end in the photo of the percussion-capper.) Ripcon, is that end of your object hollow/open, or just a flat piece of metal?

It's hollow, like a gutter.

Upvote 0

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears that the loop end is like a small cable and it is connected to the side button which is in a slide window like some type of holding device. May be medical in nature.

Upvote 0

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nose hair trimmer / insert and twirl

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ripcon, is the loop on the object's end made of brass braided (or spiral-twisted) wire? If so, is it visible in the long rectangular slot on the object's side?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Ripcon

Sep 4, 2016
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, the loop is not braided or twisted.
Here are some additional close up pictures.
Also, at the very bottom, there appears to be some type of attachment device. capper01.JPG capper02.JPG capper03.JPG bottom.JPG

Upvote 0

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
shootingsupplies.jpg

I never knew there was things like these made, good ID CBGuy and congrats on the recovery Ripcon.

Upvote 0

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears that the loop end is like a small cable and it is connected to the side button which is in a slide window like some type of holding device. May be medical in nature.

Kind of my first thought, some kind of surgical instrument? They had some pretty tuff ways of doing things then. Just an "out there" guess though.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread