What's new

AA alkaline batteries

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2014
Messages
1,734
Reaction score
3,039
Golden Thread
0
Location
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Radio Shack has a package of 16 AA alkaline batteries on sale for $5.99. Just passing the word, because both my detectors use 8 of them at a time, and you can't beat that price.
 
Try rechargeable...will save you a ton of money.
 
I did the recharging thing for awhile, but I found that recharged batteries didn't last nearly as long as new ones. So I went back to buying new ones.
 
Boatlode, have you tried the high amperage AA batteries? I've bought several different brands of the higher mAh batteries (2000 to 3000 mAh) and IMHO, they last almost if not as long as the cheaper alkaline batteries. I've used a lot of different brands of alkaline batteries and haven't found many that will last much longer than the high amp rechargeable ones. I use rechargeable ones in my detectors, radios, flashlights, clocks, etc. I have AAA, AA, C, D, and 9 volt rechargeable ones and am very satisfied with the results.
 
I get at lest 30 hrs. out of 8 AA alkaline, haven't had much luck with rechargeable ones. I would need 2 sets both charged and with me...in case.
 
On the way to dig in the dirt, needed some batteries, stopped at a Dollar Store, and picked up a pack of Duracells. But on the same display I saw a pack of 32 no name AA's for $5.00, so I figured what the heck, and picked them up too. Those no names lasted about 1/4 of the time the Duracells did - but, for 32 @ $5, I guess they were actually worth it.

But, I will note that as they ran out of juice, I very quickly removed them - concerned about leakage.....
 
On the way to dig in the dirt, needed some batteries, stopped at a Dollar Store, and picked up a pack of Duracells. But on the same display I saw a pack of 32 no name AA's for $5.00, so I figured what the heck, and picked them up too. Those no names lasted about 1/4 of the time the Duracells did - but, for 32 @ $5, I guess they were actually worth it.

But, I will note that as they ran out of juice, I very quickly removed them - concerned about leakage.....

I have not noticed any significant difference in battery life between the so-called "no-name" brands and the "premium" brands like Duracell and Energizer. In fact, I have been told that there aren't that many battery manufacturers, and most of them come from the same place with different names on the label. So until I see otherwise, I will continue to buy whatever is on sale. By the way, I have used Radio Shack brand batteries a lot, and they last every bit as long as the Duracells.

The only thing that definitely will affect battery life is their age. I will not buy batteries without a date code on them, no matter how cheap they are. The Radio Shack batteries are dated on the package.
 
Last edited:
Nothing wrong with most AA batteries and if you can get them on sale at least your saving some cash for Gas :)
Just have to remember to keep a spare set in the car:coffee2:
 
On the way to dig in the dirt, needed some batteries, stopped at a Dollar Store, and picked up a pack of Duracells. But on the same display I saw a pack of 32 no name AA's for $5.00, so I figured what the heck, and picked them up too. Those no names lasted about 1/4 of the time the Duracells did - but, for 32 @ $5, I guess they were actually worth it.

But, I will note that as they ran out of juice, I very quickly removed them - concerned about leakage.....

The Duracells are guaranteed not to leak for 5 years. That is also there shelf life. Frank...
 
I just stumbled into this video, haven't tried it yet!

 
Alas.... Not on this one.....

 
I may have been a moron if I had not stumbled into the 2nd video :(
 
I was wondering when someone might try that 6V battery stunt. Hehh hehh hehhh....... seen the one with the Car Battery yet? LOL
 
Modern alkaline AA have a shelf life of about 5 years before they start to deteriorate. So... When they're on sale, it is time to stock up for the long term.

I recently bought a bonus pack of 24 Evereadys at Target for $13.99 (that is about one season's worth). That's .58¢ each. I can buy a package of 100 from Jabro wholesale, and they cost .51¢ each. Not much of a savings, really when you consider shipping and taxes.

I echo the issue about rechargeables. Unless you detect several times a week, they just aren't worth the hassle. What's more, unless you buy premium rechargeables (2,400 mAh), a AA will outlast any of them.
 
I was wondering when someone might try that 6V battery stunt. Hehh hehh hehhh....... seen the one with the Car Battery yet? LOL

Yeah, when I saw the one with the car battery, that's when I went looking and found the rebuttal.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom