Advice!

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
So I get a nice 73-85 hit and an old colonial ford site and start digging. MD indicates about 4 inches. 14 inches later and still nothing but a solid 83 right in the middle of the hole. Ground is too hard to continue with my lil' digger so I bail with the hopes of coming back soon with a shovel.

Question #1 - My coil was at top of hole and my MD indicated the target was 1 inch deep!! How is that possible. And no, target was not on sides cause I expanded the hole diameter and the target remained the same.

Question #2 - About 12 inches down I hit some brick fragments and what appears to be a small piece of coal. When cracked open it has that smoothe, black, glossy character - like obsidian... except this rock is more brittle.

Deductions?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what happens when you have meters....... That brick and what looked like black glass is what was giving you the false readings. Never use a shovel unless you are in the real sticks like woods.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your looking for coins and get a signal like that and can lift detector 8 or 10 inches off ground and still get a signal then its something big. Depht meter is designed for coin sized objects. Also the same without meters.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most detectors are tuned to coin size objects, deep metal object that are large will read as close to surface when they are actually deep........

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you were hitting the foundation of a fireplace or possibly an old forge. This could have been remnants of a small smelter. Did you get any pictures?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Coal won't give you a signal, But OLD bricks will sometimes give a faint signal because some contained bauxite, the base material of aluminum. Modern bricks seldom if ever have this effect. As stated above your detector dept gauge is set to coin sizes so something big and deep will give you the same return as a coin shallow in the ground. There is something there. Remove a brick and test it for signal. The good news is your detector probably only goes 2' so you only have about 10" more inches to get to it. If you are one of those ,I got to know people, go for it! Frank

hand print-2_edited-6.jpg

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coal won't give you a signal, But OLD bricks will sometimes give a faint signal because some contained bauxite, the base material of aluminum. Modern bricks seldom if ever have this effect. As stated above your detector dept gauge is set to coin sizes so something big and deep will give you the same return as a coin shallow in the ground. There is something there. Remove a brick and test it for signal. The good news is your detector probably only goes 2' so you only have about 10" more inches to get to it. If you are one of those ,I got to know people, go for it! Frank

I have definitely gotten a signal from what looked like coal slag before. I have also gotten a signal from an old car wheel at over 3'. So you may have more than 10" left to dig, depending on what is down there. But chances are it won't be worth the effort, unless it was that chest of gold coins buried 200 years ago...

K

Kentucky Kache

It will be worth the effort, if for nothing else than the experience. Dig.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions